• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cold sensitivity and its etiology--need to solve this urgently

frozenborderline

You are not on fentanyl that is a good thing I am relieved.

Dangerous stuff and I thought it may have been adding to your sensitivities.
I was on it in the hospital and switched to dilaudid and oxy , fentanyl isn't isn't the best pain medication. It's somewhat serotonergic which makes it worse than other opioids but opioids in general are fairly safe and I don't think fentanyl is that dangerous

Tammy

I had metal implants for fusion when I was healthy (pre CFS) and I don't remember any temp problems or cold sensitivity afterwards. I experienced cold sensitivity after I came down with CFS.

frozenborderline

So you never had the cold sensitivity before the surgery?
I've had cold sensitivity before the surgery but it got better when in good air. I even slept in a van outside in a new jersey winter pre surgery because the air was good .
And the cold sensitivity wasn't usually as extreme.

Then after the surgery it got worse and in winter I needed heat packs on my neck to stop spasms and scarves and stuff but it wasn't really really extreme. In the past week or two tho (which is a year or more after surgery) it got really extreme wherein I had muscle spasms and jitters and tremors just from slightly cool air... like 5 degrees under room temperature. Maybe ten degrees at most.

Tammy

So your nerves are even more hypersensitive to cooler temps now than they were before. According to the source that I follow (which I will not discuss because I refuse to get into a debate about it)........ the hypersensitivity to cold temps is due to viral neurotoxins that are making your nerves more sensitive. A possibility that follows this reasoning is that an underlying virus became more virulent after surgery/surgeries? I understand your problem with mold and very much believe that it is a problem for you but I think it is a trigger for underlying virus to act up rather than a root cause.

Last edited:

Violeta

I've had cold sensitivity before the surgery but it got better when in good air. I even slept in a van outside in a new jersey winter pre surgery because the air was good .
And the cold sensitivity wasn't usually as extreme.

Then after the surgery it got worse and in winter I needed heat packs on my neck to stop spasms and scarves and stuff but it wasn't really really extreme. In the past week or two tho (which is a year or more after surgery) it got really extreme wherein I had muscle spasms and jitters and tremors just from slightly cool air... like 5 degrees under room temperature. Maybe ten degrees at most.

What type of anesthesia was used during the surgery?

What is your body temperature?

frozenborderline

What type of anesthesia was used during the surgery?
Pretty sure just a mixture of midazolam propofol and fentanyl like with most major surgeries

I actually had three of them , but I only mentioned the one that put the hardware in bc I think the hardware may be connected.

I don't know my body temperature. Currently. It's always ran a bit low but didn't seem to change after surgery except when I got infections...but tbsn returned to normal upon discharge. It's always been a bit low but I stopped taking it regularly once my thyroid numbers were back to normal