• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cofactors for magnesium absorption into cells?

Radio

i'm trying to make sense of everything because there are so many thing..and cell membranes surely is one of the many step to go. Anuway you seem to follow fredd's protocol and adding the NT factors to a paleoish diet...
tha point is.. which are the best supplement for the lipid replacement in your opinion? the NT Factors? and about the diet you follow .. if it is low in meat and no grains (i imagine if it's paleo) what do you fill yourself with? I really tried avery diet down to earth so i don't have problems in changing food abits but sometimes it get difficult to find what to eat if you limit many things... what about you?
Look for the NT factor with phospholipids (only) with "NO" add supplements. It has to be just plan NT Factor. Supplement with now foods super enzymes 2-4times a-day. (Diet) The low protein anti-inflammatory wanna be paleo hack diet. What can you eat (?) You can have 3-4oz meat 2 times a-day, Wild fish from frozen only, free range chicken, eggs, pork, steak. Eat a-lot of veggie stir-fry and salads with small amounts of rice and good paleo friendly fats. Limit nightshade veggies, (Add) pea's, green beans, carrots, kale and some sulfur rich veggies as well. (If you have a CBS problem eat less sulfur foods) NO processed meat or nitrites, NO sugar, NO msg (code word seasoning) NO enriched fake foods...You can eat some nuts and seed a few days a-week, (Pecan) are best nuts i have found so far. The 12 hour Intermittent fasting is key to controlling the metabolic waste.

Last edited:

aaron_c

I know this forum is old, but...

Here is a study where women with low Red Blood Cell magnesium that did not increase with supplementation finally did increase when supplementing 200 mcg selenium with their Mg.

@dannybex

I can't tolerate the slightest dose of b6 -- even though tests show I'm borderline low in it. sigh...

Do you know if your B6 sensitivity is a CBS issue? If so, have you tried BH4 and molybdenum? They have allowed me to take B6 without the diarrhea, depression, or brain fog that it would cause before. Unfortunately, the BH4 is somewhat expensive.

dannybex

I know this forum is old, but...

Here is a study where women with low Red Blood Cell magnesium that did not increase with supplementation finally did increase when supplementing 200 mcg selenium with their Mg.

@dannybex

Do you know if your B6 sensitivity is a CBS issue? If so, have you tried BH4 and molybdenum? They have allowed me to take B6 without the diarrhea, depression, or brain fog that it would cause before. Unfortunately, the BH4 is somewhat expensive.

I don't know. I've been trying to figure this out for 2-3 years now. I think it may be related to salicylate intolerance, but it may be a CBS issue (although I have the lesser of the two). I haven't tried BH4, but have taken molybdenum off and on. I think however that I need to cut back on it, because it seems like I'm developing 'gouty-like' symptoms in my feet. Gonna give b6 another try in the next couple of weeks, but have to get back on the MB12 first. p.s. thanks for that mag-selenium study. :)

Last edited:

Radio

I don't know. I've been trying to figure this out for 2-3 years now. I think it may be related to salicylate intolerance, but it may be a CBS issue (although I have the lesser of the two). I haven't tried BH4, but have taken molybdenum off and on. I think however that I need to cut back on it, because it seems like I'm developing 'gouty-like' symptoms in my feet. Gonna give b6 another try in the next couple of weeks, but have to get back on the MB12 first.

Yes, I think the B-6 problem is related to Sulphation

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I don't know. I've been trying to figure this out for 2-3 years now. I think it may be related to salicylate intolerance, but it may be a CBS issue (although I have the lesser of the two). I haven't tried BH4, but have taken molybdenum off and on. I think however that I need to cut back on it, because it seems like I'm developing 'gouty-like' symptoms in my feet. Gonna give b6 another try in the next couple of weeks, but have to get back on the MB12 first.

"Gouty-like" symptoms in your feet could be the development of a B6 neuropathy. I would hold off on taking more B6 until a doctor examines your feet for neurological changes or whatever else is going on. If caught early enough, the damage may be reversible. If caught too late, the damage is irreversible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B6#Toxicity

"Adverse effects have only been documented from vitamin B6 supplements and never from food sources. This article only discusses the safety of the common supplemental form of vitamin B6, pyridoxine (for a full discussion please see pyridoxine). Toxicologic animal studies identify specific destruction of the dorsal root ganglia[21] which is documented in human cases of overdosage of pyridoxine.[22] Although it is a water-soluble vitamin and is excreted in the urine, doses of pyridoxine in excess of the RDI over long periods of time result in painful and ultimately irreversible neurological problems.

The primary symptoms are pain and numbness of the extremities. In severe cases there may also be motor neuropathy with "slowing of motor conduction velocities, prolonged F wave latencies, and prolonged sensory latencies in both lower extremities" causing difficulty in walking.[23] Sensory neuropathy typically develops at doses of pyridoxine in excess of 1,000 mg per day but adverse effects can occur with much less and, therefore, doses over 200 mg are not considered safe.[24] Symptoms among women taking lower doses have been reported.[25] Two reported cases of neuropathy with pyridoxine treatment of 24 and 40 mg/day may have been coincidental.[24] This condition is usually reversible when supplementation is stopped.[26]

Existing authorisations and valuations vary considerably worldwide. In 1993, the European Community Scientific Committee on Food defined intakes of 50 mg of vitamin B6 per day as harmful and established a tolerable upper intake level of 25 mg/day for adults in 2000.

The Expert Group on Vitamins and Minerals of the Food Standard Agency UK (UK EVM) derived a safe upper level (SUL) of 10 mg/day for a 60-kg adult in 2003.

The tolerable upper limit has been set by the US FDA at 100 mg/day in 2000.[27] The nutrient reference values in Australia and New Zealand recommend an upper limit of 50 mg a day in adults. "The same figure was set for pregnancy and lactation as there is no evidence of teratogenicity at this level. The UL was set based on metabolic body size and growth considerations for all other ages and life stages except infancy. It was not possible to set a UL for infants, so intake is recommended in the form of food, milk or formula." "The ULs were set using results of studies involving long-term oral administration of pyridoxine at doses of less than 1g/day (Berger & Schaumburg 1984, Bernstein & Lobitz 1988, Dalton 1985, Dalton & Dalton 1987, Del Tredici et al 1985, FNB:IOM 1998, Parry & Bredesen 1985). A NOAEL of 200 mg/day was identified from the studies of Bernstein & Lobitz (1988) and Del Tredici et al (1985). These studies involved subjects who had generally been on the supplements for five to six months or less. The study of Dalton and Dalton (1987), however, suggested the symptoms might take substantially longer than this to appear. In this latter retrospective survey, subjects who reported symptoms had been on supplements for 2.9 years, on average. Those reporting no symptoms had taken supplements for 1.9 years."[28]

Because no placebo-controlled studies show therapeutic benefits of high doses of pyridoxine, and the well-documented occurrence of significant toxic effects, there is little reason to exceed the RDI using supplements unless under medical supervision e.g. in treatment of primary hyperoxaluria."

http://examine.com/supplements/Vitamin+B6/#summary8-0

"Vitamin B6 is known to be highly toxic when megadosed for a prolonged period of time, at best causing peripheral neuropathy that can be repairable and at worst causing irreversible sensory ganglion neuropathy. The lowest estimate this toxic dose has been reported is at 200mg (11,700% the RDI) while it is reliable induced at around 5g (300,000% the RDI) or higher intake in humans."

dannybex

It's more likely related to B6 neurotoxicity, and if so, taking more B6 would be harmful.
I guess I didn't make it clear, but I'm not taking any b6 or p5p. I tried a smidgen back in July 2013, that was the last time. The 'neurotoxicity' is the reason I avoid it. I have read several threads on other forums lately where folks were able to get rid of the neuropathy and tolerate b6 or p5p after raising their b12 levels substantially…so will give that another try. Thanks for your replies.

dannybex

I apologize for some of these replies where the sentences all seem to run together. I try to divide them into separate paragraphs, but there's something wrong with my browser…doesn't work every time.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I guess I didn't make it clear, but I'm not taking any b6 or p5p. I tried a smidgen back in July 2013, that was the last time. The 'neurotoxicity' is the reason I avoid it. I have read several threads on other forums lately where folks were able to get rid of the neuropathy and tolerate b6 or p5p after raising their b12 levels substantially…so will give that another try. Thanks for your replies.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not operating on all cylinders today!

Yes, I think the B-6 problem is related to Sulphation
Radio, I am new to the realm of forums and my CFS as well as SIBO, etc. and found your comments so very helpful to me. I can relate to many of the symptoms you experienced and your journey. I can't thank you enough for sharing and I have a lot of tests now to discuss with my doctor as well as follow up on my own as a result. I was wondering if I could communicate with you so I don't ask questions that may be repetitive or not be advanced enough for the very educated group in this forum. I don't want to hold up interfere in the exchange here with my elementary questions but I have gained a lot of key information from everyone here.

Hi,

I take magnesium daily (various forms), my blood levels are high, suggesting I'm absorbing it fine, but my cellular and ATP levels are low, suggesting it's not getting into my cells, or the mitochondria.

Can anyone point me to the cofactors that are needed for correct cellular uptake of magnesium? (and/or into the mitochondria)

Thanks.
When I talk to my doctor his only suggestion for Magnesium testing is a blood serum test which I know is not a good way to measure magnesium levels. Can you tell me what tests you had done to determine that the Mg level in you blood was high, and that both your cellular Mg level and ATP levels were low? I am particularly interested in the ATP test. Thx.

cigana

When I talk to my doctor his only suggestion for Magnesium testing is a blood serum test which I know is not a good way to measure magnesium levels. Can you tell me what tests you had done to determine that the Mg level in you blood was high, and that both your cellular Mg level and ATP levels were low? I am particularly interested in the ATP test. Thx.
The ATP tests were done by McLaren (see http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/CFS_-_The_Central_Cause:_Mitochondrial_Failure).
The blood cell tests were just magnesium Red Blood Cell tests.