• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chlamydia Pneumoniae, antibiotics and chronic fatigue

pattismith

Oh and I've got a question:

I'm on just one month of the Wheldon Protocol for CPN and Mycoplasma Pn (so Doxy 200mg daily and Azithro 250 three times a week) but the doctor here who made the prescription for me and is following me also prescribed Triflucan (or Fluconazole) which I haven't taken trying to go by the Wheldon Proto as closely as possible. Does anyone think this could help eliminate the bugs faster, if I did add that ?
I suppose he gave you against Candida infection, Fluconazole is a fungicidal drug.

Jo86

I suppose he gave you against Candida infection, Fluconazole is a fungicidal drug.
Lots of doctors who knew about lyme and chronic infections have given me stuff on the side like that. Anti fungus stuff, broad anti bacterials... Like Wheldon argues that NAC supplement is an anti-CPn agent. I dunno.

Learner1

So the IV was clearly and distinctly more efficient than the regular pills to be swallowed with you, right ?
Yes. The oral helped while I took it, but the bugs came roaring back by 2 months after I stopped. The triple antibiotic IV combo killed them. My doctor consulted with some experts before prescribing 4 months of the triple antibiotic IV 3 days a week.

I was also on IVIG as my total IgG and subclasses 1 and 3 were below normal.
How much did you improve since getting rid of them ?
My fatigue improved a lot and ability to exercise improved.
the doctor here who made the prescription for me and is following me also prescribed Triflucan (or Fluconazole) which I haven't taken trying to go by the Wheldon Proto as closely as possible. Does anyone think this could help eliminate the bugs faster, if I did add that ?
The one problem I had with BOTH the oral and IV and was disrupting my microbiome. Being on antibiotics can promote fungi like candida, so my guess is your doctor is prescribing fluconazole to proactively kill the fungi.

I took massive amounys of prebiotics and probiotics and have gradually improved my microbiome.

I do not believe your antibiotic protocol will be fully effective without the addition of rifampin. It is important to whack all of the life cycle phases of these bugs - if you don't, they'll hide and return.

Attachments

• cpn azithro doxy rifampin.pdf
    49.7 KB · Views: 24
  • cpn combo abx.pdf
    134.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Drugs and C pneumoniae growth cycle.pdf
    264.6 KB · Views: 15

Jo86

Yes. The oral helped while I took it, but the bugs came roaring back by 2 months after I stopped. The triple antibiotic IV combo killed them. My doctor consulted with some experts before prescribing 4 months of the triple antibiotic IV 3 days a week.

I was also on IVIG as my total IgG and subclasses 1 and 3 were below normal.

My fatigue improved a lot and ability to exercise improved.

The one problem I had with BOTH the oral and IV and was disrupting my microbiome. Being on antibiotics can promote fungi like candida, so my guess is your doctor is prescribing fluconazole to proactively kill the fungi.

I took massive amounys of prebiotics and probiotics and have gradually improved my microbiome.

I do not believe your antibiotic protocol will be fully effective without the addition of rifampin. It is important to whack all of the life cycle phases of these bugs - if you don't, they'll hide and return.
Rifampin ? Well the Wheldon protocol suggests after two months to add Metronidazole to the Doxy and Azithro. I'm not sure where the Rifampin would have its place in there, but you sound quite certain about this assertion. I read about this stuff, but it's very difficult to tell which source is gospel.

It sounds GREAT to read someone actually improving from this, good on you man ! (girl ?)
As I often say the IV stuff is seen as hardcore here in France, I'm not even sure they'll implement that method unless it's a matter of life and death, sth like that. I mean I'll talk to my current lyme-educated dr. about it but he might look at me like I was a blasphemous heretic. We'll see.

Just a question: in your case did you take those vast amounts of pre/probiotics during or only AFTER ABiotic treatment ?

P.S.: thanks for those docs, will read later today.

Learner1

Maybe you could try reading the scientific articles I posted, which is the most up to date intelligence on what works...and why, rather than reading stuff on some website. I read it all, and my doctor came up with the same protocol by consulting with top experts independently.

Cpn is a hard core infection that can destroy your life. My doctor, a top expert, and AIDS doctor for 25 years with lots of experience with broken immune systems and strong infections, said "we're going to go after this and try to kill it, or you'll just have to learn to live with it."

I took probiotics at 100 billion cfu during and up to 1 trillion after.

Jo86

Maybe you could try reading the scientific articles I posted, which is the most up to date intelligence on what works...and why, rather than reading stuff on some website. I read it all, and my doctor came up with the same protocol by consulting with top experts independently.

Cpn is a hard core infection that can destroy your life. My doctor, a top expert, and AIDS doctor for 25 years with lots of experience with broken immune systems and strong infections, said "we're going to go after this and try to kill it, or you'll just have to learn to live with it."

I took probiotics at 100 billion cfu during and up to 1 trillion after.
but it's so lonnnnngggg and technicaaaaaaal :rolleyes:
(kidding)
yeah. They're Swiss (1st article). The swiss are good at math. I trust em on those studies, definitely relevant stuff. So Rifampin has proven to pack a mean punch on Cpn. Again, thx for those.

Let me ask you this (any real life anecdotal data is super interesting to me....ANY !!): when did you start feeling worse (as in the AB's were starting to agitate the bugs) ? Was it right at the start, or about a month into it, was it specifically after starting one particular AB ?

Learner1

My immune system was so sick that it didn't react much. I only started gradually feeling better - less brain fog, fatigue, etc.

Glad you were willing to plow through the technical stuff! I started out looking at the pictures and reading the Abstract and Conclusion, before finding that reading the Discussion section was really helpful, too! (And as the scathing critiques of the PACE study demonstrated, reading the Methods section is critical to determine whether you should believe what the Conclusion says.)

Best wishes...

Hip

The main culprit: chlamydia pneumoniae (and mycoplasma pneumoniae).

Have you been tested for other pathogens linked to ME/CFS, such as herpesviruses and enteroviruses? In the case of enterovirus, only sensitive neutralization-type antibody tests are capable of reliably testing for enteroviruses like coxsackievirus B and echovirus.

Jo86

Have you been tested for other pathogens linked to ME/CFS, such as herpesviruses and enteroviruses? In the case of enterovirus, only sensitive neutralization-type antibody tests are capable of reliably testing for enteroviruses like coxsackievirus B and echovirus.
Sorry for the late reply, only saw this post now. Have been tested for all the classic EBV, CMV, HHV6...
I don't believe the enteroviruses though.

I had both chlamydia and mycoplasma pneumoniae. Vitamin C IVs didn't touch it. The herbal protocol didn't touch it. I did 2 months of oral azithromycin and rifamoin, prescribed by my naturopathic doctor, and it came roaring back 2 months after stopping the antibiotics.

Finally I did 4 months 3 days a week of IV azithromycin, rifampin and doxycycline, which cover the different life cycle phases, and finally got rid of it.

I had it all roaring back too after oral ABX. Can I ask which doc you got this done with? All my doctors suck and are clueless, if I can maybe get a Naturopath who can make this happen then I would be willing to go down that route

Learner1

In addition to my naturopath, who originally prescribed the antibiotics, I'm a patient at the Center for Complex Diseases in California, though I live 700 miles away. My doctor there consulted with chlamydia pneumoniae experts before prescribing the azithromycin, rifampin and doxycycline IV protocol.

Have you had your immune sysyem thoroughly looked at? I was immunideficient and IVIG also helped.

Vanderbilt U has expertise.

@Markus83

Hi, I am from Germany and always looking for Doctors. I have chronic infections - chlamyidia aswell and mycoplasma. Would you be so kind and tell me the Name of the Doctor in Stuttgart? Thank you!