• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chlamydia Pneumoniae, antibiotics and chronic fatigue

I was originally diagnosed with CFS in 2000. In 2017 I had a lab show postive CPN IGA 1:32 IGG 1:128.
Yes - I take NAC. I also try to enhance the antibiotics by taking them on an empty stomach with green tea and vitamin c - studies seem to indicate this potentiates antibiotics.

I tried the Wheldon treatment in 2017 and could not could not tolerate more than 3 months. I revisited the treatment with the hyperbaric oxygen treatment alone first then adding the Wheldon protocol antibiotics 5 months after. I do have some difficulty still with the antibiotics but nothing like before hbot.
Dr Stratton who was treating CFS patients at Vanderbilt noted the patients had a hard time tolerating the treatment with a high drop out rate. If one has CFS and can't tolerate antibiotics without a logical explanation from the medical community that is a red flag.

Jo86

I have been the the Wheldon protocol for 6 months(3rd pulse). I can only tolerate the treatment using hyperbaric oxygen chamber daily. I feel much worse than before treatment but it is clear that nerve damage is being reversed and I have more strength/stamina. If I didn't have the nerve damage as a reference point, I would have assumed the treatment is not working. I treated hbot alone 5 months prior with little improvement
Interesting. Treating for ? Cpn as well ?

I'm treating for Cpn with the Wheldon protocol but hbot is an addition tool I need to tolerate the treatment. It probably accelerates the repair process and hopefully limits any damage from long term antibiotics.
Some at the lymenet forums were cured by hbot alone and that was the thought for me at first - but it became apparent hbot was not removing the infection or enticing my body to remove it. My shortness of breath symptoms were only removed from a Metronidazole pulse - something 5 months of hbot alone could not do.

Jo86

I'm treating for Cpn with the Wheldon protocol but hbot is an addition tool I need to tolerate the treatment. It probably accelerates the repair process and hopefully limits any damage from long term antibiotics.
Some at the lymenet forums were cured by hbot alone and that was the thought for me at first - but it became apparent hbot was not removing the infection or enticing my body to remove it. My shortness of breath symptoms were only removed from a Metronidazole pulse - something 5 months of hbot alone could not do.
ah you have that too. Yeah, seems a Cpn thing. Like I'll barely start a sentence and feel like I'm out of breath from the effort of speaking out loud and clearly. Had no clue a pressure room thing could help anyone with CFS, of any kind.

From everything I've been reading it seems that Wheldon protocol is the best (and only actually viable) solution. Man, I already feel like I'm 90% dead at the end of the line, and I've got about a good 6-month/ a year to go before I see any change it is going to be BRUTAL :D

Question: your positive CPN, was that found through a regular lab test in the US ? Or like a specialized lab ?

ah you have that too. Yeah, seems a Cpn thing. Like I'll barely start a sentence and feel like I'm out of breath from the effort of speaking out loud and clearly. Had no clue a pressure room thing could help anyone with CFS, of any kind.

From everything I've been reading it seems that Wheldon protocol is the best (and only actually viable) solution. Man, I already feel like I'm 90% dead at the end of the line, and I've got about a good 6-month/ a year to go before I see any change it is going to be BRUTAL :D

Question: your positive CPN, was that found through a regular lab test in the US ? Or like a specialized lab ?

Quest labs did the CPN test. There seems to be a consensus to treat based on symptoms not the lab test.
I'm not using a pressure room, I have a mild hyperbaric chamber at home - the kind that athletes use.

Jo86

Quest labs did the CPN test. There seems to be a consensus to treat based on symptoms not the lab test.
I'm not using a pressure room, I have a mild hyperbaric chamber at home - the kind that athletes use.

Yeah I'm just trying to get a sense of just how accepted chronic infection diseases and testing for those and anitibiotic treatments are in the States.
Oh right yeah wow, good for you. That must've cost you a little fortune.

Yeah I'm just trying to get a sense of just how accepted chronic infection diseases and testing for those and anitibiotic treatments are in the States.
Oh right yeah wow, good for you. That must've cost you a little fortune.

I bought a new Newtowne hyperbaric chamber and a Airsep oxygen concentrator, the cost was $5200.

Learner1

I had both chlamydia and mycoplasma pneumoniae. Vitamin C IVs didn't touch it. The herbal protocol didn't touch it. I did 2 months of oral azithromycin and rifamoin, prescribed by my naturopathic doctor, and it came roaring back 2 months after stopping the antibiotics.

Finally I did 4 months 3 days a week of IV azithromycin, rifampin and doxycycline, which cover the different life cycle phases, and finally got rid of it.

The oral antibiotics killed a lot in my microbiome but I was able to rebuild with Xymogen ProBioMax 350 and 100, taken with Thorne FiberMend.

The IV antibiotics took away that progress and it was a much harder job to rebuild my gut the second time. I used the above, then the Gut Institute BifidoMax, then PrescriptAssist, then Symbioflor and more ProBioMax.

I also HBOT.

Attachments

• Drugs and C pneumoniae growth cycle.pdf
    264.6 KB · Views: 17
  • cpn combo abx.pdf
    134.7 KB · Views: 14
  • cpn azithro doxy rifampin.pdf
    49.7 KB · Views: 14

Jo86

I had both chlamydia and mycoplasma pneumoniae. Vitamin C IVs didn't touch it. The herbal protocol didn't touch it. I did 2 months of oral azithromycin and rifamoin, prescribed by my naturopathic doctor, and it came roaring back 2 months after stopping the antibiotics.

Finally I did 4 months 3 days a week of IV azithromycin, rifampin and doxycycline, which cover the different life cycle phases, and finally got rid of it.

The oral antibiotics killed a lot in my microbiome but I was able to rebuild with Xymogen ProBioMax 350 and 100, taken with Thorne FiberMend.

The IV antibiotics took away that progress and it was a much harder job to rebuild my gut the second time. I used the above, then the Gut Institute BifidoMax, then PrescriptAssist, then Symbioflor and more ProBioMax.

I also HBOT.
Ooh, that sounds very promising and encouraging. For a learner you're a good teacher too.

Just a question: how do you know your intestinal flora was in a bad state, could you feel it or just lab tests ?

5200 huh. That sounds more painful than going through the treatment without a hyperbaric chamber :p

There was no possibility of treatment without the chamber. Dr. Charles Stratton at Vanderbilt was treating CFS patients for CPN - the majority could not continue antibiotics. The longer the patient was ill and the degree of the illness seems to be determining factors.

Jo86

There was no possibility of treatment without the chamber. Dr. Charles Stratton at Vanderbilt was treating CFS patients for CPN - the majority could not continue antibiotics. The longer the patient was ill and the degree of the illness seems to be determining factors.
well then...
D811CD2E515FA002BC5CC4A0FF8C133F0B0D61FA

Nah but it'll get brutal but I'm sure I'll hold up alright...we'll see...

Could I ask you how you think you caught the CPN btw ? I tried identifying the cause when the fatigue first occurred 13 years ago, I read everywhere it's a bug that's typically caught through sex but I know for sure I didn't have sex during that span of time... they say through spit as well, so maybe that. I suspected for a long time a nose piercing I had done...

well then...
D811CD2E515FA002BC5CC4A0FF8C133F0B0D61FA

Nah but it'll get brutal but I'm sure I'll hold up alright...we'll see...

Could I ask you how you think you caught the CPN btw ? I tried identifying the cause when the fatigue first occurred 13 years ago, I read everywhere it's a bug that's typically caught through sex but I know for sure I didn't have sex during that span of time... they say through spit as well, so maybe that. I suspected for a long time a nose piercing I had done...

You should go the cpnhelp website and learn about the infection and treatment - thats all they do there.

Jo86

I recently came across an old file I had of Vanderbuilt University's patent regarding CPn treatment and thought this is a good place to post the link. I had both Cpn and EBV that caused my CFS, and was treated successfully. athough this patent is from 2004, it's still a good explanation of the three stages of CPn infection and how to treat them:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6756369
thank you for that. Pretty technical in places. So they mention:

a) at least one agent targeted against the elementary body phase of the chlamydial life cycle; b) at
least one agent targeted against the replicating phase of the chlamydial life cycle; and c) at least one agent targeted against a cryptic phase of the chlamydial life cycle.

I'm very glad to read people successfully treat this crap. Can I ask you what the antibiotics were for you in your case, for the a) b) and c) phases ?

leela

Hi @Jo86, These two opportunistic buggers are sneaky! My depleted immune system also has let CPn and MPn
run amok. I got rid of the Mycoplasma by doing blood ozonation, not the easiest thing to find/afford, but it did the job.

The CPn is still present, though :(

Learner1

I had Cpn and Mpn and did UVBI, ultraviolet blood irradiation and ozone, but they survived that. Then I tried oral azithromycin and rifampin, which they survived.

Finally, after consulting with an expert, my doctor prescribed 4 months of 3 day a week IV azithromycin, doxycycline, and rifampin, which did the trick.

18 months later, I'm still working on my microbiome after all that.

Jo86

Hi @Jo86, These two opportunistic buggers are sneaky! My depleted immune system also has let CPn and MPn
run amok. I got rid of the Mycoplasma by doing blood ozonation, not the easiest thing to find/afford, but it did the job.

The CPn is still present, though :(
I'm sorry, I got busy and forgot all about this. You've got to blast these little buggers with AB's, that's all they understand.

I had Cpn and Mpn and did UVBI, ultraviolet blood irradiation and ozone, but they survived that. Then I tried oral azithromycin and rifampin, which they survived.

Finally, after consulting with an expert, my doctor prescribed 4 months of 3 day a week IV azithromycin, doxycycline, and rifampin, which did the trick.

18 months later, I'm still working on my microbiome after all that.
So the IV was clearly and distinctly more efficient than the regular pills to be swallowed with you, right ?
How much did you improve since getting rid of them ?

Jo86

Oh and I've got a question:

I'm on just one month of the Wheldon Protocol for CPN and Mycoplasma Pn (so Doxy 200mg daily and Azithro 250 three times a week) but the doctor here who made the prescription for me and is following me also prescribed Triflucan (or Fluconazole) which I haven't taken trying to go by the Wheldon Proto as closely as possible. Does anyone think this could help eliminate the bugs faster, if I did add that ?