• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cheap UV/UVB Lamp For "Natural" Vitamin D Production

linusbert

i read over this,
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...light-therapy-leds.79181/page-11#post-2409032

and i wanted to share what i do because a 500$ medical UV lamp was suggested but not everyone can afford it.
(I AM NO DOC, THIS I NO MEDICAL ADVICE, UV LAMPS ARE DANGEROUS CAN CAUSE SKIN BURNS AND CANCER. So know your risks.)

- Osram Vitalux cost like 40-50 EUR
put in a CERAMIC lamp holder (no plastic) which can withstand 300W lamps.
I would recommend sitting AT LEAST 120cm (1,2m , 3,95 foot, 47inches) away from it. maybe a cautious way would be to start with 2m distance and watch your skin react. if there is no reaction at all it might be ok.
Duration i cannot make any suggestions. i personally do 5min , front and back each.
EDIT: of course, protect your eyes!! put on those special eye protection glasses on!

The lamp needs a few minutes to "warm" up. i would turn it on and let it do its thing for 5 minutes before i sit/lie in front. you can see it, in the beginning the light is "warm" white. after a few minutes it turns blue/greenish.

Its UV INDEX spectral map after 120hours of usage. Careful it could be different if lamp is new. and not every lamp is the same, so calculate very conservative.
1667637258565.jpeg

once more, careful, this map is not guaranteed and can differ greatly from your lamp.

i would go always with the medical certified lamp if i could afford the 500$.

EDIT: one more warning, i burnt my skin today because i was sitting on red line (80cm) and not the blue line (120cm) where i wanted to be. its no serious burn, but the skin is giving me sensations. maybe i got a little punctual skin burn.

Last edited:

LINE

linusbert

Not sure if you saw precautions of protecting your eyes with UV.
damn. good point!
i forgot to mention, i edited the original post.
of course i did protect my eyes. i look like riddick's bad brother with those goggles.

You might want to take a look at red led light therapy. Many studies from NASA showed how this spectrum can speed up healing. This is $35 or so.
good idea.
i indeed got such a device since a few days. but i am still figuring it out.
i am at 2x 5 minutes , but i had a slighly worsening of symptoms since yesterday. but also weather changed to cold which might be the problem and not the lamp. but now i need to acclimate and wait before i can do another try.

the redlight doesnt make vitamin D though.
but well, i can use both now.

what i noticed is that the red light is incredible hell. not only for sick me but also a healthy friend had a flash.