• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chase Community Giving - what other successful groups are doing

helen41

re fake accounts in the American India Foundation, Sant Ram, Shan Kan, banty bathinda, all have their walls open for viewing, have no firends, and only one activity, which is Chase, and that happened only in the last few minutes. I don't believe those people are real, I think every few minutes another fake account is being created. Maybe we should be recording the vote changes there gathering evidence of cheating, which I am positive is happening. Is anyone available to take that one on?

Nina

How can we alert CCG to this? This is obvious cheating, kind of like what happened last year. Woudn't be surprised if they made it all the way to the top at this rate. Hopefully others will cry foul also once they have been overtaken, which the WPI now has.

Dolphin

How can we alert CCG to this? This is obvious cheating, kind of like what happened last year. Woudn't be surprised if they made it all the way to the top at this rate. Hopefully others will cry foul also once they have been overtaken, which the WPI now has.
Technically, any individual may have signed up to Facebook just to do this. I did that with my mum. However, if the pattern is very different to other groups, I think it makes it more suspicious. However, probably still not easy to prove.

helen41

I did a little spreadsheet, looking at the first 29 people in the list from American India Foundation. It took me that many profiles to find one that was from a real person. No one has a friend, or an interest that wasn't created today. I can't figure out how to post it here. Can someone help? Maybe can I email it to someone more savvy?

Dolphin

I did a little spreadsheet, looking at the first 29 people in the list from American India Foundation. It took me that many profiles to find one that was from a real person. No one has a friend, or an interest that wasn't created today. I can't figure out how to post it here. Can someone help? Maybe can I email it to someone more savvy?
One can upload pdfs. So if making a pdf out of it is any use, it can be included in a message as an attachment.

helen41

View attachment American India Foundation.pdf

Did it. hope this works. I used a blog from Contestmob to identify what to track "When you see a large number of likes on a picture or a comment, simply go to the thumbs up sign and click on who liked this picture/comment. A box of names will come up and most times they will not be your friend(s). You can simply go through each name. As a general rule, people make mistakes. They make mistakes because creating a true account of a real person takes too much time and effort and certainly cheaters cannot take this time to do it that eloquently. Fake accounts can be found all over Facebook. All one has to do is know where to look. You can also Google names and Facebook search the names to get more information on your competitor. As a general rule when I contest I look for five major mistakes cheaters make.

5 Mistakes that Cheaters Make

#1 The liker has nothing on their wall or profile except for the interests of contests
#2 Birthdays are the same as the entrant or a group of fake accounts have similar birthdays
#3 Mutual friends all link back to the entrant
#4 Email address is similar on the bottom of the profile
#5 Similar name spelled differently (example Andy, Andrew, Andre)

helen41

that PDF didn't work so well. I wrote it in open office. is there anyone who can help? I think our only hope is to expose them for cheating, maybe even post the spreadsheet on their wall for all to see

Sasha

Fine, thank you
that PDF didn't work so well. I wrote it in open office. is there anyone who can help? I think our only hope is to expose them for cheating, maybe even post the spreadsheet on their wall for all to see

Have you emailed Chase about it, Helen? If so it might prefer the info as body text (in case an attachment looks suspicious). If Chase are unresponsive another possibility would be to pass the info on to WPI, who might have a better chance of getting heard.

helen41

This was my message to Chase re the American India Foundation "there are a number of false profiles voting for this entry. Of the 29 people who commented today between 0932 and 0956, only one appears to be real. The remainder have no friends, no email addresses, the 6 that have interests other than Chase just created those interests today, and none have a human profile picture. There are hundreds and hundreds more that I didn't look at, I only looked at one snippet of time. I do have a spreadsheet of their names if that would be helpful to you."

Nielk

Sasha

Fine, thank you

Dolphin

Looks like American India Foundation got docked votes - they're down at 13th position on 7,242. That could be partly or wholly down to you, Helen. :thumbsup:

ETA: It looks to me like the American India Foundation could get knocked out of the top 15 - not sure if they never had many voters or they have become despondent after their knock-back, but they're not picking up votes.

WPI is in 12th - unless others above it are excluded, the max it will get is $40,000. Hopefully it won't drop out of top 15 in the next 5.75 hours.

ixchelkali

Here's one of the cheats/incentives: http://freeb4friends.wordpress.com/2011/05/19/. There are people who make a hobby of going to these freebie pages and entering giveaways. So the Hillel Lubavitch Academy is raffling off 5 camcorders for people who vote for them; this will get them votes from people with no ties to their organization. Is it cheating? I don't know, I haven't read the rules in detail. It's certainly gaming the system. I don't have a problem with the students beating the bushes for votes, asking their neighbors to vote, etc, but "paying" people to vote by raffling off prizes on a freebie webpage seems unsportsmanlike. We'll have to see what Chase says.

I have a friend who entered a photo contest in a magazine where the winners were determined by votes on the magazine's webpage. A couple of people used these freebie pages and also vote trading websites to increase their votes. When the magazine found out they disqualified those entries and my friend won. The prize was something like $50 and get your picture printed in the magazine. The magazine is planning to change how they run their contest in the future because of the way people were gaming the system.

justinreilly

I just checked the leaderboard and S. Conn. Hebrew Academy, Conejo Jewish Day School and Hillel Academy all have gotten between 900 and 1000 votes each in the last 3 hours. Definitely some more fishy activity.

I emailed Chase with a link to Jocelyn's excellent blogpost:
http://nopostergirl.com/2011/05/25/cheating-in-chase-community-giving/#comment-296

and also pointing out the fact that religious orgs are not eligible:
http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/rules

A non-profit:
whose primary purpose is to advance a religious denomination, expand membership or encourage conversion, or whose programs and services are limited (in an exclusionary way) to serving those of a specific religious denomination or faith while excluding others solely because of their religious beliefs;
or
who participates in the Program, or otherwise conducts itself, in an unsportsmanlike or inappropriate manner;
is ineligible

-Noting that two of the Jewish charities are running a sweepstakes awarding mini-camcorders, if people vote in the contest :
http://freeb4friends.wordpress.com/2011/05/19/

and referencing Helen41's post here:
re the American India Foundation "there are a number of false profiles voting for this entry. Of the 29 people who commented today between 0932 and 0956, only one appears to be real. The remainder have no friends, no email addresses, the 6 that have interests other than Chase just created those interests today, and none have a human profile picture. There are hundreds and hundreds more that I didn't look at, I only looked at one snippet of time. I do have a spreadsheet of their names if that would be helpful to you."

Also let Chase know how great WPI is- this might help in the discretionary cash awards. I hope everyone emails or messages Chase!

You can message CCG by clicking on 'report/contact this app' on the CCG facebook page:
http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/leaderboards/top
look on the lower left corner of the page; click the second option from the left: 'report/contact this app'

or emailing Chase:
https://www.chase.com/cm/shared/crb/page/general.html