• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chase Community Giving - what other successful groups are doing

Dolphin

There will probably be other Chase Community Giving and similar contests.

I was curious to know how the Jewish groups are flying up the leaderboard.

Here is one cause that is (it only has 159 likes on its own Facebook page)

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/...4dd87ca9e8828477182515.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Facebook 'likes' could earn Southern Connecticut Hebrew Academy in Orange big bucks
Published: Sunday, May 22, 2011

0diggsdigg ShareThis1By Pamela McLoughlin, Register Staff
ORANGE Rabbi Sheya Hecht has finally found a compelling reason to open a Facebook account: so he can like Chase Community Giving, then vote for his school to win a national contest.

If we can garner the votes it will be a home run for everyone, said Hecht, director of Southern Connecticut Hebrew Academy. This opens up doors for institutions, he said of such contests brought about by the boom in social media.

The voting ends Wednesday and takes seconds by going to www.voteSCHA.com and clicking on the link to the schools Facebook page.

Thanks to his son, Mendy Hecht, who works in the schools development office, the school entered a first round of the Facebook contest for nonprofit agencies and recently won $25,000. The contest is for nonprofit agencies with budgets of $1 million to $10 million.

As one of the top 100 vote-getters in that contest, it became eligible for round two, which offers many valuable prize amounts, including $500,000 for first place. It is the only school in Connecticut to make that list and the only organization to do the same in this area of the state.

Such serious money it would be used to fix the schools roof and install solar panels calls for some serious Facebook activity, so the older students, parents and staff are being encouraged to spread the word to friends, relatives and business associates through social media, phone calls and whatever other way they can.

The school has distributed cards with information on easy voting and even has a contest going for older students, with a chance to win Apple products as a perk.

Alex Russell, 13, of New Haven said hes encouraging all his Facebook friends to vote and may even go to the Jewish Community Center of Greater New Haven with a laptop to help people cast their vote.

Hadassa Katz, 12, and too young for a Facebook account, said shes calling all her friends and relatives to get them to vote.

I know that we can do it, she said. Continued...

Another student, Batsheva Lipsker, is going door-to-door asking neighbors to vote.

Mendy Hecht said he learned of the first round two days before the voting ended, so they rallied 400 votes in that short time to become a winner.

This time, the competition is stiff one major organization already had 2,000 votes after the first full day of giving.

Hecht said that while students are being encouraged to spread the word, theyve also been told to finish their homework first and get to bed on time.

Their webpage/website is nice and clean/simple: http://www.votescha.com/

Dolphin

Dolphin

Hillel Academy Milwaukee

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hillel-Academy-Milwaukee/170275189661186 only has 206 likes

The Jewish groups didn't have it all their own way:
After shabbos, we fell to #31
shabbos=the Sabbath.

They had a polling station at an event:
Thanks so much to everyone who voted at the Lag B'Omer event. A big thank you to Amir Yavor, Mikki Ray, Sheina Myer-Smith and Rosy Ricks for helping set up and staff the voting station. We are still #31 so keep voting! We need to get back in the top 25!

Unclear so far where they got the surge.

Dolphin

I don't know how ethical this is:

http://freeb4friends.wordpress.com/2011/05/19/

Mini Camcorder Giveaway
Posted on 05/19/2011
by Freebies For Friends| 6 Comments
I was asked my Ms Rosy Ricks of Hillel Academy if we would be interested in helping them by supporting Hillel Academy in the Chase Community Giving Giveaway they have entered.

Below is the information they have written concerning why they have entered into the giveaway.

Quality education is the cornerstone of all great societies. Children with a solid educational foundation are able to develop a real understanding of shared community values like respect, integrity, scholarship, self-confidence, and positive attitudes. For 50 years, Hillel Academy has provided students with a safe and positive environment that emphasizes these values while preparing them to be future citizens in our global world. Our Big Idea is to make this educational experience available to more families in the Milwaukee community. With $500K, we could offer a full year of scholarships to nearly 50 students. We see that opportunity as a chance to invest t the global community as well. Over the next 10 days, we will share the stories of 5 Milwaukee families who have experienced Hillel Academy for themselves. Visit our Facebook page throughout the campaign to learn how community-based, culturally-relevant education is an essential part of developing tomorrows global citizens.

Ms Ricks has donated 7 Mini Camcorders as a Thank You for supporting Hillel Academy.

Pocket size; Shoot video, take pictures and play back files at the touch of a button on a brilliant 1.44? LCD screen.
1.3MP CMOS sensor with 4x digital zoom
Video resolution: VGA (640 x 480) @ 30fps, AVI file (Motion JPEG codec) Up to 8GB memory with
optional SD/SDHC card
Edit video and upload to YouTube with included ArcSoft Media Impression software
View recorded videos and photos on a TV with the included AV cable Convenient integrated USB 2.0 Hi-
speed plug for fast file transfers

How to win 1 of the 7 Mini Camcorders

1. You must visit the Chase Community Giving Page

2. Like the Chase Community Giving page (u can do this by clicking on the LIKE button at the top of the screen

3. You must click on VOTE for the Hillel Academy Inc.

(please note..Chase Community Giving allows each of you to vote up to 5 times (only once daily) since the members have voted to hold this giveaway for 7 days with a winner daily for those you who have voted daily and can no longer vote (they have voted 5 times already) You will receive a entry into the remaining day(s) of the giveaway.) You will be required to fill out the form for the remaining day(s) of the giveaway

UPDATE:

Please note I am making a change to the giveaway. I am only going to require you vote ONCE (Your vote will be confirmed) Once you have voted I will give you a free entry into each daily giveaway remaining .

4. You must be a Member of Freebies for Friends either on FaceBook, My Web Page or Twitter to enter.

5. You must fill out the form below.

<form> (not easy to copy)

This giveaway will run daily from May 19, 2011 until May 25, 2011

Each daily giveaway will end as follows

May 19th ends at 7 AM EST on May 20th
May 20th ends at 7 AM EST on May 21st
May 21st- ends at 7 AM EST on May 22nd
May 22nd-ends at 7 AM EST on May 23rd
May 23rd -ends at 7 AM EST on May 24th
May 24th-ends at 7 AM EST on May 25th
May 25th-Ends at 7 AM EST on May 26th

The winners will be announced daily on my web page starting on May 20, 2011

Good Luck Everyone!

Dolphin

http://www.collive.com/show_news.rtx?id=14637&alias=a-last-click-for-chase-giving
May 23, 2011

A Last Click for Chase Giving

Chabad institutions need more support in the final days of Chase Community Giving contest on Facebook. Your click can make the difference for Chabad Mosdos.
Only 48 hours remain in this year's Chase competition, where they will be giving away 2.5 million dollars in round two of their online Facebook voting campaign.

This is once again an amazing opportunity for many Lubavitch mosdos to tap into these funds.

The one item which puts Chabad above all our competitors is our network, and the fact that thousands of Shluchim and Anash worldwide will vote and encourage others to help out our Mosdos. There is no other organization that has an infrastructure like ours.

With that in mind, please take some time over the next 48 hours and help Lubavitch win this contest. The amazing Kiddush Hashem that this can make is remarkable.

The following Mosdos are in the running:

American Friends of Lubavitch (Chabad)

Chabad of Argentina Relief

Conejo Jewish Academy

Chabad House of Connecticut

Hillel Academy Milwaukee

Lubavitch Cheder - Detroit

Silverstien Hebrew Academy

New Haven Hebrew Dayschool

Children of Chernobyl

Cheder Chabad-Monsey

I can't access the chase page right now, but I'm almost positive prizes are against the rules. If so, they need to be reported directly to Chase. Can someone access the Chase page and see if this is correct? It seems especially unethical if teachers are bribing kids.

helen41

Interesting find, Dolphin. This is from a different contest, but is a standard opinion "You may encourage your friends and other eligible individuals to vote for your Entry; however, you are not allowed to offer any individual any form of incentive, inducement, prize or chance of receiving any incentive, inducement, or prize in furtherance of receiving such individuals vote for any Entry. Any contestant determined by Sponsor and/or its representative (in their sole and absolute discretion) to be engaging in such behaviour is subject to disqualification." Generally it is accepted that people will ask family, friends or give a vote for a vote, as long as there is some direct contact. A prize, using fake accounts or purchasing votes is considered cheating.
Offering a prize for votes, I believe, is generally grounds for disqualification. I don't know where they are in the list right now, and for some reason I cannot load the Chase contest to see, but this is not usually considered an acceptable way of gathering votes. Freebiesforfriends is HUGE and has come under attack before for similar contests within contests.
Hmm. I don't know what, if anything we should do with this info. I guess it depends on where they are in the rankings....

charityfundraiser

I want to know how Chabad of Argentina came out of nowhere one day and appeared at #5.

Re: rules - I don't think there are too many rules with Chase. They even say explicitly that they are not required to count or determine votes that may be fraudulent, automated, or otherwise unsportsmanlike. Nothing about prizes.

I offered to donate to other orgs which is not too different from offering to give mini-camcorders.
Someone else is offering Starbucks card lottery for us.
Trading votes isn't much different.

I think the bribes worked the best in that (reverse) order. Donation to people's orgs wasn't enough to get people to vote. People are selfish. Offer the voter himself a prize directly and he's more motivated, eg. the Starbucks card. Trading votes worked the best because the other orgs in the contest wanted to win as much as we did.

Too bad we didn't figure that out earlier. To win the competition, ally with a group of competitors.

Anyway, I'm already throwing in the towel for CFIDS. I think the man-hours everyone has put in including staff between both orgs has been worth over 100k.

Nina

Hmm. I don't know what, if anything we should do with this info. I guess it depends on where they are in the rankings....

They have overtaken WPI now and we are about to fall out of the Top 10. So I think we should definitely do something with this info!

Hope123

I'd like to thank the people on and off this board who have been plugging for votes all along. We should be proud that the WPI doubled its votes from Round 1 -- not bad for a group of sick people.

There are some barriers I see that have been mentioned that probably inhibited people from voting, some correctable, some not.

- A lot of people with ME/CFS have not been diagnosed.
- People who are diagnosed may not know about the contest. Some don't stay in close touch with ME/CFS groups. Today, I encountered someone who knew nothing about the contest but went to vote soon after I told her. Some people who have "recovered" from CFS just want to get away from it and anything associated with it. [This is what people who have relapsed have mention to me about their time in remission.]
- People who are diagnosed might not want their vote to be public since they haven't told or don't want to tell people they are ill.
- People might not be able to maintain as large a social network and some have been abandoned by family/ friends.
- People might be concerned about their privacy with regards to Chase getting access to their profiles.
- If I recall correctly, some major ME/CFS international organizations didn't issue a call for votes from their members.
- A minor detail but WPI could have written out the initials on their intro paragraph. People on the boards are use to knowing what MS, GWI, etc. are but your average person might not. However, if GWI had been written out as Gulf War Illness, perhaps people who support the military might have been more interested.
- People feel that their votes won't manner. In my personal e-mail to get people to vote, I told them that PANDORA won $20,000 with a margin of 24 votes last year so EVERY vote does count.

Anyhow, it's all a learning experience and we still managed to net some major money for both orgs. $50,000 is quite a bit of money; we need more but that isn't bad.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I think there's a big difference between voting for a group for the chance of a prize (like a camcorder), in which you might vote even if you didn't support that cause particularly, and being part of a loose alliance of health charities encouraging each other in mutual voting because we all recognise the importance of good health. I think a bribe like a camcorder would be considered "unsportsmanlike behaviour" and as such, against the contest rules.

Tuha

I dont want to stress you but another organisation from behind got a lot of votes (that Southern Connecticut Hebrew Academy) so we are curently on the 9th place.there is also that ...India foundation which is going very fast - just some hundreds votes behind us and there are 2-3 more organisations which could be better on the end. so people try to get some more votes - we do it for us and noone will help us

I'd like to thank the people on and off this board who have been plugging for votes all along. We should be proud that the WPI doubled its votes from Round 1 -- not bad for a group of sick people.

There are some barriers I see that have been mentioned that probably inhibited people from voting, some correctable, some not.

- A lot of people with ME/CFS have not been diagnosed.
- People who are diagnosed may not know about the contest. Some don't stay in close touch with ME/CFS groups. Today, I encountered someone who knew nothing about the contest but went to vote soon after I told her. Some people who have "recovered" from CFS just want to get away from it and anything associated with it. [This is what people who have relapsed have mention to me about their time in remission.]
- People who are diagnosed might not want their vote to be public since they haven't told or don't want to tell people they are ill.
- People might not be able to maintain as large a social network and some have been abandoned by family/ friends.
- People might be concerned about their privacy with regards to Chase getting access to their profiles.
- If I recall correctly, some major ME/CFS international organizations didn't issue a call for votes from their members.
- A minor detail but WPI could have written out the initials on their intro paragraph. People on the boards are use to knowing what MS, GWI, etc. are but your average person might not. However, if GWI had been written out as Gulf War Illness, perhaps people who support the military might have been more interested.
- People feel that their votes won't manner. In my personal e-mail to get people to vote, I told them that PANDORA won $20,000 with a margin of 24 votes last year so EVERY vote does count.

Anyhow, it's all a learning experience and we still managed to net some major money for both orgs. $50,000 is quite a bit of money; we need more but that isn't bad.

Hope, I dont agry. everything what you wrote is true but if we will do a small mathematic. On the end we will get maybe 9 000 votes - I think we can say that in average every patient brought 5 votes (I know a lot who brought 20-30 votes) - so we can say that there were around 1500 patients who voted (maybe even less because also som Autism, GW,....voted for us, or some exchange votes). I followed the campaign and the people posted about almost everywhere. You wouldnt believe where everywhere it was posted, in so many countries in all over the world. I am sure that this campaign had to reach 10 thousands of patients - even more

I tried to encourage some patients to vote but you wouldnt believe what kind of excuses they had to dont vote. Sometimes I had impression that we always try to find an excuse and we try to find more how it is not possible than how its possible. When it will not change we will stay in big...where we are.
also remember that WPI ist our biggest hope and even with this the support is in my eyes very small. so I see these numbers very pesimistic

Dolphin

In those 12 hours, these two groups had the following moves:
HILLEL ACADEMY INC 3686 (+3288) to 6974
CONEJO JEWISH DAY SCHOOL 4480 (+2337) to 6817

Do anything like that again and they'll knock the WPI out of the top 10.

jace

Off the fence
I'm no lawyer, but I took a look at the Chasegiving rules just now - I wonder if these extracts are relevent?

Chase is not responsible for, nor is it required to count, in its sole and absolute discretion, late, lost, misdirected, unlawful or illicit votes, votes cast for Charities later determined to be ineligible, votes achieved through automated means, by registering more than one user profile, using another Participant's e-mail account and name, as well as those that are achieved through other fraudulent means, unsportsmanlike conduct or in a manner otherwise inconsistent with these Official Rules.

whose primary purpose is to advance a religious denomination, expand membership or encourage conversion, or whose programs and services are limited (in an exclusionary way) to serving those of a specific religious denomination or faith while excluding others solely because of their religious beliefs;

participates in the Program, or otherwise conducts itself, in an unsportsmanlike or inappropriate manner;

ChaseGiving Rules: http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/rules

Nielk

Hi,

Being Jewish myself, maybe I can shed some light as to why these Jewish organizations are having such a success.
Firstly though, I want to comment that I agree that the giveaway of camcorders to get people to vote in my view too is unethical. I don't know if there is something specific in the rules about it but, regardless I think it's unethical and if we found out that it's against the rules I think we should call them out.

Jewish (especially orthodox) which these charities seem to be, are very close knit. They each probably have a huge list of members they can reach by e-mail. There is also an authority figure involved like a Rabbi or principle. If a member receives an e-mail coming from that authority figure, they will act upon it. In addition, they are a healthy group and active. They might even reach out to other Jewish communities to help them out. For example the organization of Chabad is HUGE. They are all over the country and abroad. If they sent out a mailing to many Chabad organizations, they will get responses.

That's just my view. I am personalty very hurt by some of my "friends". I sent out e-mails and pms on Facebook. I got some responses that they took care of it but when I go to check on the Chase website, I don't see that they voted. What do I do?
Go back to them and say "hey I just checked the Chase website and don't see your name there?"

I feel like I am working sooo hard to get maybe all together 15 votes! It's frustrating.

Dolphin

Anyway, I'm already throwing in the towel for CFIDS. I think the man-hours everyone has put in including staff between both orgs has been worth over 100k.
Don't be too dispondent - at least you raised the issue of private money for research can be useful - people can get stuck in the mindset that it's governments' responsibility to fund all research I think (particularly, say, in countries like the UK where the government pays for virtually all healthcare).

One thing that motivated me last weekend was to also plug this article at the same time:
http://bit.ly/mRPRS2 i.e.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/content.php?421-M.A.D-in-May-5-Support-ME-CFS-Research

And whatever happens, both the WPI and the CAA each got $25,000 in Round 1.

helen41

I agree, it's so frustrating. I agree that I would not consider it sportsmanlike to have a contest for 7 camcorders, but I guess it is Chase's call. If they say it is ok, I would be happy to put up a prize myself if it would keep us in the top 10. The question is where? Does anyone have an idea?

Dolphin

That's just my view. I am personalty very hurt by some of my "friends". I sent out e-mails and pms on Facebook. I got some responses that they took care of it but when I go to check on the Chase website, I don't see that they voted. What do I do?
Go back to them and say "hey I just checked the Chase website and don't see your name there?"

I feel like I am working sooo hard to get maybe all together 15 votes! It's frustrating.
It would seem possible that all these people asking other family and friends for votes for research will lead to money in the future, either through donations or else perhaps some sort of fundraising or part/full proceeds of some event.