• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS Vs OCD please help me, I am desperate

leokitten

I'm 31 but I'm working with my father (both civil engineers) so the relationship gets complicated, otherwise things would be quite different.

Is your current severity level mild or mild-moderate? I was this for years and in an ironic and paradoxical way being less severe actually increases the likelihood that others won’t believe that what you have is as serious a you say or even real. It sucks

stefanosstef

Is your current severity level mild or mild-moderate? I was this for years and in an ironic and paradoxical way being less severe actually increases the likelihood that others won’t believe that what you have is as serious a you say or even real. It sucks

I would say it is mild.Pramipexole really helps but only if I get enough sleep, my clock though seems reversed and generally messed up.If I push myself more than I am comfortable with, migraine sets in.So moderate in most days because of lack of proper sleep, and mild the other.The most severe symptoms are neuroinflammation related.

sorry- frankly I did not think you were a minor....

SSRIs are a tough one, as some people are really helped by them...not my case..they caused astronomical increase in my symptoms and took me three months to recover from a few days of it.

No reason to explain, it wasn't offensive at all.I took 2 days or citalopram and it had ramped up my neuroinflammation symptoms, as did 1 month of Cymbalta.Due to my personality, a couple of experiences with serotonine release compound I've had in the past (...) that gave me no side effects unlike almost all other people, my SERT mutation that increases transcription time of serotonine and my limited experience with those 2 drugs make me thing that I have probably an excess of serotonine and SSRIs would hurt me.

Last edited:

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
Oy, @stefanosstef , I'm so sorry you have to spend so much mental and physical energy dealing with all this. I don't have much advice, but I just wanted to send care your way. This situation with your family and with the doctor is so frustrating.

I know you already know this, but it bears repeating: this is not in your head. This is physical, and this is real.

Mary

Moderator Resource
.This lack of support and attack/accusations I am receiving most times it's more harsh than the disease itself.
I agree! I think ME/CFS is one of the cruelest illnesses in the world. Not only does it destroy our lives, but there is no medical help available and patients end up facing what you are from family and society in general. My now ex-husband never believed I was really ill when we were together (part of the reason he is my ex). However, 13 years after we broke up, he sent me an email apologizing for not believing me. I had periodically sent him research I came across, and I think all the new information finally penetrated his brain that I wasn't making this up.

So your parents may be similar to my ex. Would they be willing to watch the movie Unrest? I don't know of any way to force someone to change their mind, but hopefully if they are presented with enough information, they may gradually come to realize how real this is.

Also, you might try getting a copy of The Puzzle Solver - that might help too!

About the doctor - I don't think there's anything you can do there. At least you had 3 other psychiatrists who agreed there was a real physical problem going on with you.

In any event, I'm really sorry you have to deal with this! It makes this illness so much harder to contend with! If it's any consolation, I think most of us can emphasize because we've gone through the same thing with parents or spouses, and doctors of course! :sluggish:

stefanosstef

Thank you so much, you are all great.I'm a bit better, it never lasts but momentarily I get extremely down.Great suggestions Mary, I'm taking a look right now.I know the documentary but I never saw it.I will watch it now.The illness especially with those misunderstandings from environment is very very harsh, but that's the cards we've been dealt and we can only push forward in any way we can.Time will prove us right and most importantly, there will be a cure, I firmly believe it.

Edit: Great documentary.I knew I might have misjudged it when I closed it after I saw the first scene a couple of years ago.I found it exaggerating, I was wrong.I will share it.

Last edited:

leokitten

SSRIs are a tough one, as some people are really helped by them...not my case..they caused astronomical increase in my symptoms and took me three months to recover from a few days of it

In addition to all the side effects when taking them, many SSRIs and SNRIs are very difficult to get off of and you can exhibit a protracted and terrible withdrawal syndrome that can last months or years, in addition to potentially permanent long-term changes and side effects (like permanent sexual dysfunction). I wouldn’t take them unless it’s really needed and benefits outweigh risks, which in your case its a forced misdiagnosis so no.

Rufous McKinney

and side effects (like permanent sexual dysfunction

In my case, the very simple basic side effect DRY MOUTH- thats it for me. I asked specifically about that side effect, Doctor tells me it is not indicted, and it happened immediately and within 24 hours of starting an SSRI.

And was written in the first- sentence of side effects for Zoloft.

so the doctor will tell you whatever...

vision blue

How about saying then "good- even more reason then to give me the neruo autoantibody panel". (run by Mayo). If this was all sudden onset, makes sense to check for autoantibodies in the neuro panel.

An otherwise smart doc who i thought i got along well with (because he is one of the smart ones) wrote in my chart that i was fixated with my kidneys. Last time i share with a doc the details of my reaonsing (which of course go well beyone a stupid one size fits none creatine clearance auto calculator on a chem panel blood test. ).