• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

cfs & sex

RestingInHim

Realist
I don't know if this is an appropriate question and if it is, if this is the correct forum on which to ask it. I'm wondering how cfs has affected others sex lives? I've had cfs for 16 years and married 38 years. The last 3 years my symptoms have increased and our sex life has halted. I have absolutely no desire for it and my husband says he is okay, that he feels that asking me for sex would be selfish because of the post exersion fatigue and pain I experience.

I'm taking a risk sharing this hoping someone can help me understand if this is unusual or not.

Administrators,I apologize if this if it is inappropriate. Please feel free to stop it from posting.

Snez

No, not unusual at all, sex is bound to suffer with this chronic illness we have. I also think it is a result of our declining or stuffed up hormone levels- a combination of aging plus CFS no doubt. Cort has an excellent thread on this forum under Lifestyle Management called Sex and FM and ME/CFS -very practical and helpful.

And, I don't think your question was inappropriate at all.:)

Snez

jenbooks

I feel I want to conserve my energy. I want to have more vital force. Therefore I seem to subconsciously avoid arousing situations sometimes. This is the opposite of my former ways. It's like allocation of resources. Sex is enlivening and releases endorphins but it's like a workout too.

Victoria

Definitely appropriate, RestingInHim,

Any aspect of your life which is affected by chronic pain, fatigue & other symtoms is important.
That's what a forum is about - a place (or meeting) for open discussion (or debate).

As Snez mentioned, Cort has opened a thread on this important subject.

Victoria