• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS a protection against Coronavirus?

ljimbo423

Did no one of you watch the Prusty talk?
He clearly showed that ppl with Cfs/ME show a very strong antiviral state for fast growing viruses. Thats why so many ppl with Cfs dont get a cold / the flu. So its pretty much the same with Covid. We should be kinda "immune" to it.

This has certainly been my experience. No colds or flus for 10-15 years or longer. I'm pretty sure I had covid 19 a couple of weeks ago but my symptoms very mild. I didn't even spend any time in bed with it.

nyanko_the_sane

Because everyday is Caturday...
This has certainly been my experience. No colds or flus for 10-15 years or longer. I'm pretty sure I had covid 19 a couple of weeks ago but my symptoms very mild. I didn't even spend any time in bed with it.
You are so lucky because a number of others that I know with ME/CFS have been sick for weeks dealing with the yo-yo effect of this thing.

ljimbo423

You are so lucky because a number of others that I know with ME/CFS have been sick for weeks dealing with the yo-yo effect of this thing.

I feel very lucky. It did take me a full 12 days to completely recover from covid. I thought it was gone after 8-9 days but I kept feeling like the symptoms were coming back, mildly but very noticeable, for a hour or 2 a day, up until day 12.

So I did experience some of the yo-yo effect but it was still mild. Since then it's been completely gone. At 60 years old I feel very fortunate indeed!

minimus

When I was working full-time with “mild” ME/CFS, I rarely got colds or flus. On rare occasions when I did come down with a cold, I would feel normal - as if I didn’t have ME/CFS - for about 12-24 hours before the cold symptoms would develop.

However, as my ME/CFS became more severe, each cold would inevitably morph into bacterial bronchitis, with symptoms of fever, severe fatigue, and headache. I eventually was diagnosed with mild bronchiectasis following a chest CT scan. Bronchiectasis can cause upper respiratory infections to be hellish.

I have had ME/CFS for 22 years now. The bronchiectasis is a comorbid condition that I believe developed as the indirect result of small fiber neuropathy, which caused a chronic vocal fold paralysis that results in aspiration of stomach contents into the lungs. As an ME/CFS patient, I would not worry about Covid. But now that I have additional diagnoses of small fiber neuropathy and bronchiectasis, I am more concerned that I am in the high risk category for Covid.

Time will tell soon enough, I think, as my wife developed Covid symptoms on Tuesday following way too many errands to grocery stores and the post office in the prior two weeks, my 21-year old daughter started coughing and running a fever yesterday, and we live together in a small New York apartment in close proximity to each other, meaning I cannot really isolate myself from them.