• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cervical Traction - How long to see effects if working?

My husband had his first cervical traction done by a PT today -- once at 10 pounds of pressure and once at 15 pounds of pressure for 10 minutes each.

He had a significant improvement in his brain fog, but no improvement in fatigue or dizziness.

Just wondering if people usually see more drastic results sooner?

Hip

I think the effects of cervical traction on symptoms are fairly immediate, ie within minutes. However, the traction force needed to improve symptoms can vary from patient to patient. Neurosurgeons will use up to 35 pounds force (but I don't think physical therapists go up that high).

valentinelynx

I'd love to hear more about people's results with traction, especially those with a good outcome from surgery. My PT used manual traction, just using her hands with me supine (lying on my back). This doesn't involve any measurement of pounds applied, nor is there any way it could, so I'm curious about how the OP's PT is applying traction.
My experience is that after the traction, I would feel "high" for awhile like I'd taken some really nice drug: not for long though, less than an hour. My head would feel "floaty" and the dynamics of my body's motion would feel altered. The first couple of times I had it done, I slept much longer than usual the following night: 5-6 hours at a stretch, whereas I usually awaken every 2-3 hours at best.
I'm now doing home traction, with an over-the-door bag-of-water device which feels different than the manual traction. I'm using a maximum of 20 lbs for 20 mins (as specified by my doctor). It involves greater pounds of distraction pressure but feels less effective. Perhaps this is the result of being upright instead of supine? I still get the floaty head feeling but that could be rebound from releasing my head from the harness. Other effects are: better posture, less stiffness in joints, particularly in my hands (hand stiffness was one of my first symptoms and has persisted over the past 26 years), but also in my back and legs. My walking feels smoother, faster and more coordinated afterward. The chronic tightness in my sacral area is released. Overall, I feel less uncomfortable, but that's a fairly subtle change. Often there's a notable drop in my heart rate from the 80s to the 70s, but I don't have severe POTS like some (standing HR is usually in the 80's, sitting 60's, lying down 50's and regulated by clonidine, which reduces HR and BP). I don't notice any significant change in my energy level but I'm doing it before bed.
Anyone else willing to share their experiences with traction?

I would also be super interested to hear from people who have had a good outcome from surgery!

My husband had his second of four treatments (to fulfill the criteria for Dr. Bolognese) and today it helped to relieve his dizziness as well as improve alertness. We still haven't gone up to the full 20 pounds, so I am excited to see if that helps even more given what I'm reading about most people requiring 20-35 pounds to see a noticeable difference with CCI.

My experience is that after the traction, I would feel "high" for awhile like I'd taken some really nice drug: not for long though, less than an hour.
It involves greater pounds of distraction pressure but feels less effective. Perhaps this is the result of being upright instead of supine? I don't notice any significant change in my energy level but I'm doing it before bed.

During the cervical traction my husband definitely had somewhat of a "high" as well, but it didn't last very long (i.e. 10 minutes). He also does his traction supine at the PT so there could be differences with the at home devices?