• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CDC Interview on the CFS Toolkit

patient.journey

Cause our disease is political and am 100% sure of that, they don't want to help us and they will be waiting until most of us will be died and then they MIGHT think of doing something !!

Shell

Thanks for the link Mindy. I see teh CDC response was the usual offical-cum-borg hive response that always seems to happen.
I suppose they have the view that is so prevelent in politics that if you are going to lie, you may as well lie boldly.
The fact that they are lying so boldly means they feel safe to do so.

GhostGum

Thanks for the link Mindy. I see teh CDC response was the usual offical-cum-borg hive response that always seems to happen.
I suppose they have the view that is so prevelent in politics that if you are going to lie, you may as well lie boldly.
The fact that they are lying so boldly means they feel safe to do so.

Or they just do it to maintain the integrity of the hive and individuals because of something that should have never started, old habits die hard. Sadly even when it does come back to bite them in the arse they will probably still come out of it, or find ways to come out of it mostly damage free; or just adapt when it is convenient.

Not showing weakness and mistake is apparently more important than progression and understanding, probably the greatest downfall of the human race.

Andrew

I asked CDC why the agency won't remove the CFS Toolkit from CDC's website. For one thing, CDC insists the Toolkit is accurate.

Mindy Kitei
CFS Central
www.cfscentral.com

They say "it's accurate," but this is a total crock. For one thing, they have clearly stated that the Emperical definition is a research definition, and not meant for clinical use. If it's not meant for clinical use, why do they put it into their clinical tool kit. Why are they not telling clinicians that they are giving them an unsuitable definition. The answer is they have no integrity. And how do they back up their claim about GET. They do not cite any studies that use their definition of CFS. What they do is cite Oxford criteria studies, which have definitions that disagree with the CDC definition, the Canadian definition, and the International definition. .

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
A little brainstorming --- how to find a solution to the problem:
maybe we should go above their heads, since they won't budge.
a barrage of letters/emails, with a brief explanation as to why it is wrong and what should replace it ( the ICC/ICP)
sent to ??? Kathleen Sebelius or the White House ( special aide Obama appointed to update him) or ???

jimells

A little brainstorming --- how to find a solution to the problem:
maybe we should go above their heads, since they won't budge...a barrage of letters/emails

There's an old saying in the (now comatose) labor movement: "Direct Action Gets the Goods". This means don't ask for crumbs, or pray for help from the bosses and the bureaucrats - we have to take action ourselves to find treatments that work, which is exactly what we are doing on this forum...

Muliple strategies and tactics are always a good idea, since no one can predict with certainty which ones will be fruitful, so letter/emails would at least let the medical establishment know we are still alive and kicking (or resting on the couch). But I can't help thinking that in the long run we will get more out of the independent research, clinician, and patient communities than we will from the CDC/NIH bloatocracies...

jimells

CDC says:
The information in the Toolkit is not inaccurate

This is hardly a ringing endorsement of their own website. In fact it strikes me as an attempt to distance themselves from it.

CDC says:
content decisions are reached through a collective understanding among various CDC professionals

In other words, a faceless committee that no one will take responsibility for. Disgusting, but typical. Here again, they are running away from it, but no one has the stones to put their career on the line and stand up and say, "This is wrong".

Of course I realize that people are trained from birth to blindly obey, never question, enforce every rule no matter how stupid and petty, and never say "NO" to the boss. I would just like those people to know that if their grandmothers and grandfathers had never dared to stand up, everyone would *still* be working 80 hours a week for a dollar a day.

taniaaust1

They say "it's accurate," but this is a total crock. For one thing, they have clearly stated that the Emperical definition is a research definition, and not meant for clinical use. If it's not meant for clinical use, why do they put it into their clinical tool kit. Why are they not telling clinicians that they are giving them an unsuitable definition. The answer is they have no integrity. And how do they back up their claim about GET. They do not cite any studies that use their definition of CFS. What they do is cite Oxford criteria studies, which have definitions that disagree with the CDC definition, the Canadian definition, and the International definition. .

I suggest someone to ask them questions on the following and bring all that to their attention. Maybe ask them why are they citing oxford criteria studies when that isnt even the CFS criteria they are using? etc Make them clarifiy everything or agree there is issues which need to be changed.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
What would be great is if we could get a statement signed by many ME/CFS clinicians to the CDC showing how and why their toolkit is so flawed.

What could they say then?
I think an open letter from our ME/CFS clinicians to the CDC would be great. Who would have the contacts to organise this?

gregf

The CDC has caused the greatest medical disaster of all time. Everything they do will be directed by lawyers to stall for time and avoid the truth. Much like the Catholic church over child sex allegations, it is pointless trying to compromise with them or get them to change. You can be sure that any research leads they undertake will be deliberately going up a dead end. As such most efforts along these lines by us will be to no avail, so be prepared for frustration.

We should all be supporting the ICC tools 100%.