• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CDC and freedom of information act

Kati

Patient in training
I was looking through the CDC CFS website and while it is mentioned the last changes on the site were done this week, I cannot see what changes have been made.

Correlation with sexual abuse is still showing in the front page and this is what our doctors are seeing when they check out CFS. :confused:. Looking good for the retrovirologists wanting to learn more about ME/CFS, or perhaps this would be a crash course in political illness?

XMRV page is still only 2 pages long, a brief explanation of what is XMRV and a FAQ, updated from February 2010- old news if you will.

I wonder if anybody not working full time at the CDC on the CFS program? Couldn't they update the website and not send the wrong messages to all the people interested to research CFS and XMRV?

Another question I have : since the CDC is bound by the FOI law, what secret documents would you like to put your hand on?

Personally I would like to see all the letters that have been written from nurses and doctors that have contracting the disease while working in hospitals, and I want to know what the CDC did with these letters.

I am curious of what people would like to know. And perhaps even explore the possibility of class action as we are getting closer to prove causalty.

Hope123

Well, I can't think of specific documents off the top of my head right now but in terms of class action, there is something around "sovereign immunity" that needs to be considered. Sovereign immunity refers to the immunity the government has against being sued in criminal or civil court. I am not a lawyer but this concept is interesting to me. There are definitely cases where the US government was held responsible for acts after the fact, like internment of Japanese-American citizens during WW2, but I think this was done through Congress rather than through the courts and I'm not sure what the reparations were -- I don't think it was anything like individual payments but my history is sketchy here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_immunity

justinreilly

Correlation with sexual abuse is still showing in the front page and this is what our doctors are seeing when they check out CFS. :confused:. Looking good for the retrovirologists wanting to learn more about ME/CFS, or perhaps this would be a crash course in political illness?

XMRV page is still only 2 pages long, a brief explanation of what is XMRV and a FAQ, updated from February 2010- old news if you will.

I wonder if anybody not working full time at the CDC on the CFS program? Couldn't they update the website and not send the wrong messages to all the people interested to research CFS and XMRV?

Another question I have : since the CDC is bound by the FOI law, what secret documents would you like to put your hand on?

Personally I would like to see all the letters that have been written from nurses and doctors that have contracting the disease while working in hospitals, and I want to know what the CDC did with these letters.

I am curious of what people would like to know. And perhaps even explore the possibility of class action as we are getting closer to prove causalty.

I assume you know that there was a separate huge file kept of all those letters by doctors and nurses as reported in Osler's Web and that's what you're referring to. I think that would be interesting. Kind of puts a little crimp on the hysterical female propaganda.

There is the Federal Tort Claims Act that sometimes lets you get around sovereign immunity, but I don't know that much about it.