• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CCI after parasite (UK newspaper articles)

splusholia

Hip

I never knew showering or swimming with contact lenses in was a risk factor for catching an Acanthamoeba keratitis eye infection.

I have not worn contact lenses since getting ME/CFS (because this illness tends to make my eyes a bit dry), but when I did, I would regularly go swimming with them on.

I have never heard of Acanthamoeba keratitis causing ME/CFS before, but this infection is rare (only 1 or 2 people per million contact wearers get this infection annually), so there would not be enough data to observe if there was an ME/CFS association.

Developing ME/CFS after a parasite infection is known though, since ME/CFS can appear after a Giardia lamblia gut infection.

splusholia

Yes, I hadn’t heard of it before seeing that article. I guess there’s not really enough information to come to a conclusion but I just thought it was interesting that there is the suggestion that parasite caused CCI (or caused ME, then CCI). I guess it jumped out because it was another link between infection and spinal problems.