• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CBS / Homocysteine accumlation

Methyl90

Hi everyone,

For a week I started taking vitamin B6 100mg because I think the cause of my accumulation of homocysteine is due to the CBS enzyme that works badly or in any case with a mutation that at the moment I can not verify.

I started with the methylation protocols in October of last year with B12 and methylfolate but after about 5-6 (in which I had positive results but it was not the right way) they brought me negative effects over time so they were interrupted. My MCV is in fact regular or in any case downwards. I think it's a sign that the B12 and the methylfolate are affixed.

What are the precautions I can take to avoid negative symptoms in the use of B6?

I ask you why between yesterday and today I had some negative symptoms that I can not connect.

They always told me that my symptoms of CFS and schizophrenia were genetic ... but after doing research that treated the excess of homocysteine I realized that something I could do.

Mental confusion, depressed mood, slower and non-natural breathing, energy decline, blurred vision, more difficult and cumbersome word, paranoia. Tunnel view.

I immediately thought of a drop in potassium, the pressure, or the level of sugar in the blood .... in fact today just happened after a walk of one hour. I was very well before leaving.

I think I'm on the right track but tomorrow I'm going to do some blood tests to monitor the minerals.

I have no cramps but the neck ropes are a bit stiff.

Or are you creating glutathione after a long time and are these symptoms initially normal?

or are they only symptoms due to neurotransmitters?

Should I balance the multivitamin Jarrow and extra potassium? I currently take about 5-6gr of potassium with food in total.

I hope to receive help at least to know how to orientate.
Thank you all!

prioris

as an aside, for many people with schizophrenia, I think it is psychic aspect gone awry. maybe third eye isn't being shutdown completely or dysfunctional in some way. i'd research it from a point of view of meditation. meditation primary purpose is to connect us with the spiritual planes.

Pyrrhus

For a week I started taking vitamin B6 100mg

What are the precautions I can take to avoid negative symptoms in the use of B6?

I ask you why between yesterday and today I had some negative symptoms that I can not connect.

The start-up effects for B6 are not as severe and don't last as long as the start-up effects from methyl-folate or hydroxo-B12.

I personally take "B-minus" from Seeking Health. This B multivitamin has the right form and right dosage of B6, without any folate or B12. Then I add methyl-folate and hydroxo-B12.

I had start-up effects for the first week of taking "B-minus", and then the start-up effects went away. If you find the start-up effects to be intolerable, then take the B-minus every other day instead of every day. Or just start with one per week, then two per week, etc. until you can tolerate it every day.

I also recommend that you take no more than 100mg of potassium supplements per day. Higher doses can be dangerous if taken for a long-term. There is no limit to the amount of potassium from food.

Lastly, I always recommend taking high-quality electrolytes, magnesium, and calcium to reduce the start-up effects.

Hope this helps.

Methyl90

Being "overmethylated" and therefore already with sufficient levels of serotonin and dopamine, taking too much B6 makes me too much serotonin in my brain? I do not like it sincerely ... you probably create too much SAMe? Should I balance with the B3 or reduce the amount of B6 I take? thank you
@Pyrrhus

I sincerely believe that if on the one hand the B6 reduces my homocysteine from the other along with tryptophan creates too much Serotonina / Sam-e? and I have already done it so much worse.

I will try to reduce the protein methionine and tryptophan and B3 night o breakfast if if the night was "agitated"

Does this make sense ? thank you

Last edited:

Methyl90

It 's strange because antihistamines are not recommended but when I tried a 5mg loratadine I was better. From what I have read, they are useful in serotonergic crises by lowering serotonin. So it would make sense ... the other times that I took it made me feel worse (in fact, for overmethylator are not recommended together with Sam-e).

I've always had side effects with all SSRIs, this also makes sense.

prioris

i'm overmethylated too. i stay away from things that cause or provide methylation. i use adenosylcobalamin if i need b12 since i know i have plenty of methylation to convert it. i dabbled with niacin but generally don't take it.

i won't take p5p b6 because it provides methylation. i recently got regular b6 just to experiment and see what happens. b6 has given me problem in past but that was when i knew nothing about methylation.