• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CBD Oil Anyone?

2Cor.12:19

I know there was a thread a few years ago, but now that MJ is legal in my state and CBD is widely sold I wanted to know if anyone has tried it.

If so, what kind did you buy? eg; full or partial spectrum made from hemp or marijuana? Any drug interactions to be concerned about? Any particular brand you like?

Hd-x

Few years ago I used sometimes cbd oil, it was black+ thick oil with a little bit calming effect -but I stopped using it, because it cost a lot. Meanwhile CBD oil is availible for cheap in local stores, mostly made from Switzerland hemp - this hemp oil had a green colour, smell and taste was pretty awfull, didnt notice any effect. If availible better buy pure CBD and/or made from medical MJ strains, those very cheap hemp oils are imo a waste off money.

Last edited:

If availible better buy pure CBD and/or made from medical MJ strains, those very cheap hemp oils are imo a waste off money.

Thanks @Hd-x - Yeah, that's what I'm seeing on several review sites. There was quite a bit of info here so I ordered one they'd reviewed before called Elixinol. I chose capsules but haven't got it yet. Glad to hear it produced a calming effect for you - hoping for that too. :)
https://www.marijuanabreak.com/best-cbd-oils-sleep-review

Hd-x

Yes, it has some calming effect, depening on the oil.
I personally guess, (since not all CDB oils work the same) it is not just only the CBD and more the overall cannaboide profile if a CBD product has more or less calming effect.
If you are looking for getting deeper sleep; obvisously CBN capsules may also work:
https://www.iheartjane.com/embed/stores/53/products/2335/marys-medicinals-cbn?recommended=true
Unfortunatly CBN capsules arent availible in EU, so I cant say anything closer about it,
but perhaps someone else has tried pure cbn and can say something about it?

Last edited:

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I know there was a thread a few years ago, but now that MJ is legal in my state and CBD is widely sold I wanted to know if anyone has tried it.

If so, what kind did you buy? eg; full or partial spectrum made from hemp or marijuana? Any drug interactions to be concerned about? Any particular brand you like?

Raw green 9-12% CBD wasn't a good anti inflammatory since it was expensive, only lasted four hours and not effective for depression

24% heated gold CBD 2x/day worked great as an antidepressant.

https://madebyhemp.com/product/hemp-oil-concentrate/

Hd-x

Good point with the colour + temp, this may explain why those green raw oil stuff didnt work that great (calming) if most part off it seems to be still non decarbolyxet CBD(A). As far as I know CBDA didnt bind on CB1/CB2 receptor, it still has somewhat limited Cox2 inhibiting / anti inflammatory effects.

Last edited:

Hd-x

I personally never noted any pain killing effects, I guess the dosage for getting any pain klling effects must be very high. About calming effects and better sleep - is it really still the CBD that calms down or plays also a role any degraded CBN parts in such oil products / edibles? (age, time, light, break down cannaboide to CBN)

Last edited:

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I've been told that the best product for pain killing is high CBD strain cannabis which due to the entourage effect. Cannabis isn't legal in my state and increases my anxiety so I've never tried it.

Hemp derived CBD is much cheaper than cannabis so if it worked there would be a huge cost savings. Too bad it didn't.

CBD is massively overhyped as a pain killer for sales purposes.
@gbells I'm hoping it will help my husband’s insomnia (he’s healthy otherwise). For me, I’m hoping it will help with low grade depression. I’m also curious to see if my neuropathy might improve.

I’m with you on MJ causing anxiety- I don’t want the THC unless the amount is so minute that it has no phychoactive effect.

Last edited:

Hd-x

As far as I remember there was still an animal study showing CBD interacting with Serotonin and Dopamin receptor, so the resaerchers were guessing it could help fixing depressions. There was also a small human study showing that 300-600mg CBD were helpfull against social phobia/anxiety.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
As far as I remember there was still an animal study showing CBD interacting with Serotonin and Dopamin receptor, so the resaerchers were guessing it could help fixing depressions. There was also a small human study showing that 300-600mg CBD were helpfull against social phobia/anxiety.

The neurologist author Dr. Perlmutter MD recommended CBD for depression. I found a trustworthy source and tried it myself. 24% heated CBD oil worked well as a strong anti-depressant taken twice daily sublingually.

Update - Well, I did my homework to find reputable brands and gave two of them a them a try.

The first one was a 15 mg capsule that I took in the am on an empty stomach. Made me feel totally awful - even more exhausted than usual and very irritable all day. I take a low dose of xanax (which I don't normally feel at all ) and they say not to take CBD oil with it, so I waited four hours after taking the CBD oil to take it. I definitely felt dopey after taking my xanax. Couldn't wait for the CBD to wear off.

The second brand I reduced the dose to just 10 mg and took it at dinner time. Made me uncomfortably sleepy all evening and hungover in the morning. Neither brands did anything for pain or anxiety, despite rave reviews. They both just made me feel tired and cranky. They say to give it time, but I hate the way it makes me feel, so I ain't doin it.

Perhaps some people with ME/CFS just don't respond well to CBD oil.

On the other hand, I gave some to my very healthy husband for his chronic insomnia and the first couple of nights he slept well, but the last two not so much. I'm going to up his dose and hope CBD will end up being a winner for him.

Wayne

Article -- Why You Should Never Buy CBD Oil From Amazon

STORY AT-A-GLANCE
  • Amazon.com, which controls an estimated 40% of all U.S. e-commerce and handles more consumer searches than Google, has been found to sell counterfeit supplements on more than one occasion
  • A recent investigation found that while Amazon prohibits the sale of cannabidiol (CBD) products, it sells ad space for CBD and carries thousands of products matching the search term for “CBD”
  • Testing reveals Amazon’s bestselling hemp oil contains CBD, even though CBD is not listed on the label. Other products listed as “CBD” contain no CBD. In essence, Amazon is defrauding customers twice
  • There are no reputable companies selling CBD on Amazon, so do not buy CBD products from them
  • Another recent investigation identified 4,152 items for sale on Amazon that have been declared unsafe or banned by federal regulators, or have deceptive labels

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Update - Well, I did my homework to find reputable brands and gave two of them a them a try.

The first one was a 15 mg capsule that I took in the am on an empty stomach. Made me feel totally awful - even more exhausted than usual and very irritable all day. I take a low dose of xanax (which I don't normally feel at all ) and they say not to take CBD oil with it, so I waited four hours after taking the CBD oil to take it. I definitely felt dopey after taking my xanax. Couldn't wait for the CBD to wear off.

The second brand I reduced the dose to just 10 mg and took it at dinner time. Made me uncomfortably sleepy all evening and hungover in the morning. Neither brands did anything for pain or anxiety, despite rave reviews. They both just made me feel tired and cranky. They say to give it time, but I hate the way it makes me feel, so I ain't doin it.

On the other hand, I gave some to my very healthy husband for his chronic insomnia and the first couple of nights he slept well, but the last two not so much. I'm going to up his dose and hope CBD will end up being a winner for him.

The madebyhemp.com 24% cbd heated was the most economical one I could find. A $60 tube lasted three months. I wet my index finger, put a line on and place it under my tongue for 3 min.

The madebyhemp.com 24% cbd heated was the most economical one I could find. A $60 tube lasted three months. I wet my index finger, put a line on and place it under my tongue for 3 min.

Since I posted this my husband has been sleeping like a baby with 125 mg full spectrum capsules. Pretty amazing accomplishment since he took Trazodone for years to sleep and no longer needs it. His sleeping so well has helped my sleep problems indirectly as well. :) Oh, and the pain is his thumb joints is practically nonexistent now - he was supposed to have surgery on them - but not now! I'll be giving it another try.

Article -- Why You Should Never Buy CBD Oil From Amazon

• There are no reputable companies selling CBD on Amazon, so do not buy CBD products from them

Hi @Wayne - Mercola has some good points, but not to be contrary....we buy ours directly from Lazarus Naturals (which also sells on Amazon) and they are a FANTASTIC company. They do third party detailed testing on every batch and post the reports online. They use Pixis Labs which is a ORELAP Accredited full-service testing and analysis company in Portland.

Lazarus is also so committed to their customers that they offer very generous discounts to veterans, the disabled, and low income. Here's a sample of a lab report: https://live-uploads.lazarusnaturals.com/TR-1572030077DRYCP50_BJ02.pdf -

overtheedge

Few years ago I used sometimes cbd oil, it was black+ thick oil with a little bit calming effect -but I stopped using it, because it cost a lot. Meanwhile CBD oil is availible for cheap in local stores, mostly made from Switzerland hemp - this hemp oil had a green colour, smell and taste was pretty awfull, didnt notice any effect. If availible better buy pure CBD and/or made from medical MJ strains, those very cheap hemp oils are imo a waste off money.
same for me, hemp oil did nothing for me while cbd really made me feel good during both the short tests of it i did, hoping to test it for more than just a few days soon but things keep coming up. lots of sellers try to make hemp oil look like it has cbd but if it doesn't have cbd written on it it probly doesn't have any, amazon doesn't carry any cbd so anything from there is bunk. the kind i have now that works is from Endoca , saw some other people on phoenix posting about how well it worked for them so decided to give it a try, it's the real deal

Hemp oil contains CBD but is naturally low in THC. I took a low dose full spectrum hemp cbd oil from https://essentialextractpure.co/ and for the first six weeks didn't feel it did much. I quit bothering with it. But it can take 6 weeks to work for some people.

I decided to try it after I vacuumed a small portion of one room of my house, which is the smallest area I dare to vacuum at any one time.

It seemed to help me not crash. I had my partner's mum's funeral five days later and so started taking it several times a day from then on. Was amazed to find it started working for me. Peace, calm, a quiet.body. Reduced stress, anxiety, PEM and depression. Which is handy cos I've been looking for ways out, if you know what I mean.

I was able to stay in a motel the night before, go to the funeral and go out for lunch afterwards. 😨. I crashed for a week but it was a much lower level of crash.

It also seems to help me be able to go to sleep earlier. I've had delayed sleep phase syndrome for 30 years and have never found anything that's helped me do that so effectively.

I've now switched to another type that's better value. It's stronger but is an isolate (ie.not full spectrum, with just cbd and not the other terpenes and stuff. I don't like it so far. It didn't make me feel worse but I already wasn't feeling great. I'm worried it's not going to help as well as the last one. I will go low and slow and persist for a while and see how it goes.

I think finding the right brand and the right dose is really difficult. Add to that the fact.that it can take up to six weeks to work and it all adds up to a minefield. Add to that the fact that the same stuff will work for one and not another and it becomes a struggle.

I'm just so glad I tried it again. I shudder to think I could have written off something that's been such a bringer of actual joy and anxiety and depression relief. It's been a bit of a lifesaver for me.

bertiedog

I just looked it up having had a bad experience with 8 mg of CBD oil. It lowers cortisol and as I am steroid dependent no wonder I got a bad reaction. The last thing I need is anything that lowers cortisol and this could be the case too for many with ME/CFS as studies have shown in the past that sufferers of ME have lower cortisol levels than healthy controls.

I don't know why I didn't do a search before taking it, a bit stupid really.

Pam