• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cause of ME a "state secret" in UK?

max

Hello all - I'm new on here and could do with some help regarding FD 23/4553/1
I'm in a battle at the mo on Wikipedia CFS page in the discussion section and losing badly - any assistance advice would be welcome !

(I'm a carer for my partner who is severely ill (14years) and we're still fighting)

Ecoclimber

First post here. One must understand the system and how it works. Writing letters is all well and good but sometimes the only strategy to take is one that get there attention. I mean filing legal action including class action law suits against the parties involved for medical malpractice. This opens the door to be able to subpoena duces-tecum which is a broad base subpoena for any and all records pertaining to the cover-up and especially obtaining and and all records between the insurance company complicity and involvement with the psychological and psychiatric societies. Nothing is more effective to the the medical profession as a good multi million dollar lawsuit for medical malpractice. It will leave them shaking in their arrogance.

The other effective measure is to form a lobbyist group that provides campaign contributions and information to key members that legislative oversight in the area regarding health care. Writing letters to the head of CDC is all well and good but they are a sub organization to the NIH. You have to go higher up to the members of the Congressional committee that have oversight and funding, purse strings for the NIH. If you get top dog to support your cause, then this will give the CDC a jolt to reassess their commitment to ME/ CFIDS.

FYI
1. Los Angeles City and California State, USA
Epidemic among personnel at L.A. County Hospital, Ruth Protection Home and throughout California, paralleling poliomyelitis, often diagnosed as atypical poliomyelitis, sometimes including arthropathy.

2. Fond-du-Lac, Wisconsin, USA
An outbreak of "encephalitis" in St. Agnes Convent.

3. Erstfeld, Switzerland
Outbreak described as "Abortive Poliomyelitis."

4. St. Gallen, Switzerland
Outbreak in Frohburg Hospital described as "Abortive Poliomyelitis."

5. Middlesex, England
Outbreak at Harefield Sanatorium - "Persitent myalgia following sore throat."

6. Degersheim, St. Gallen, Switzerland
Outbreak described as "Abortive Poliomyelitis."

7. University Hospital of Pennsylvania, USA
Epidemic described as "pleurodynia with prominent neurological symptoms and no demonstrable cause."

1946-47
8. Iceland
"Mixed epidemics of poliomyelitis and a disease resembling poliomyelitis with the character of the Akureyri Disease."

1948-49
9. North Coast Towns, Iceland
"A disease epidemic in Iceland simulating Poliomyelitis" in three separate towns during this time.

1949-51
10. Adelaide, South Australia
Outbreak of a disease resembling poliomyelitis.

11. Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Outbreak in the Nurse's Training School of St. Joseph Infirmary, later described as "epidemic neuromyasthenia."

12. Upper New York State
Outbreak described as resembling the "Iceland Disease...simulating Acute Anterior Poliomyelitis."

13. London, England
Outbreak at Middlesex Hospital Nurses' Home described as "Encephalomyelitis associated with Poliomyelitis Virus."

14. Copenhagen, Denmark
Outbreak described as "epidemic myositis."

15. Lakeland, Florida, USA
Outbreak described as epidemic neuromyasthenia.

16. Coventry and Coventry District, England
"An illness resembling Poliomyelitis observed in nurses."

17. Rockville, Maryland, USA
Chestnut Lodge Hospital student nurses described with poliomyelitis-like epidemic neuromyasthenia.

18. Jutland, Denmark
Outbreak of "Epidemic encephalitis with vertigo."

19. Tallahassee, Florida, USA
Bond JO. A new clinical entity? Lancet 1956; 2:256.

20. Seward, Alaska
Outbreak described as "Benign Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (Iceland Disease)."

21. Berlin, Germany
Among the British Army, a "further outbreak of a disease resembling poliomyelitis."

22. Liverpool, England
Outbreak among medical and nursing staff in a Liverpool Hospital.

23. Dalston, Cumbria, England
"...an unusual disease seen in epidemic and sporadic form in general practice in 1955 and subsequent years."

24. London, England
Famous outbreak of benign myalgic encephalomyelitis among Royal Free Hospital staff.

25. Perth, Western Australia
"Virus epidemic in recurrent waves."

26. Gilfach Goch, Wales
Outbreak of Benign encephalomyelitis.

27. Durban and Durban City, South Africa
Outbreak among nurses at Addington Hospital called "The Durban Mystery Disease" describing neuromuscular dysfunction, and epidemic myalgic encephalomyelopathy, including sporadic cases in Johannesburg of a outbreak resembling poliomyelitis.

1955-56
28. Segbwema, Sierra Leone
An outbreak of encephalomyelitis.

29. Patreksfordur and Thorshofn, Iceland
Unusual response to poliomyelitis vaccination.

30. North West London, England
Outbreak of acute infective encephalomyelitis simulating poliomyelitis among a residential home for nurses.

31. Ridgefield, Connecticut, USA
An epidemic of neuromyasthenia.

32. Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
An outbreak of epidemic neuromyasthenia.

33. Newton-le-Willows, Lancashire, England
Outbreak described as "lymphocytic meningo-encephalitis with myalgia and rash," "An outbreak of a disease believed to have been cause by Echo 9 virus," with other varying descriptions.

34. Pittsfield, Williamstown, Massachusetts, USA
Outbreak of "epidemic neuromyasthenia" later described as benign myalgic encephalomyelitis. (Included in this summary are sporadic cases in Hygiea, Sweden, with descriptions of encephalitis, meningitis or poliomyelitis; Coxsackie B and Echo Virus infections; benign myalgic encephalomyelitis.)

1956-57
35. Coventry, England
Outbreak described as epidemic malaise and benign myalgic encephalomyelitis.

36. Brighton, South Australia
Outbreak described as "Coxsackie, Echo Virus meningitis and mylagic encephalomyelitis", "Epidemic myalgic encephalomyelitis," and "Benign myalgic encephalomyelitis."

37. Athens, Greece
An outbreak of benign myalgic encephalomyelitis in a nurse's school, "periostitis and arthropathy noted." (Included in this summary is an outbreak of benign myalgic encephalomyelitis in Switzerland.)

1958-59
S.W. London, England
Reports of sporadic cases of myalgic encephalomyelitis.

38. Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Outbreak of benign myalgic encephalomylitis.

N.W. London, England
Reports of sporadic cases of influenza-like illness

England
Article describing sporadic cases and "The psychiatric sequelae of Benign Myalgic Encephalomyelitis."

Basel, Switzerland
Sporadic case of benign myalgic encephalomyelitis described.

1961-62
39. New York State, USA
Outbreak described as epidemic neuromyasthenia in a convent in New York State.

1964-66
40. N.W. London, England
Outbreak described as epidemic malaise and epidemic neuromyasthenia.

41. Franklin, Kentucky, USA
Outbreak of "neurmyasthenia" in a Kentucky factory, possibly due to mercury exposure.

1965-66
42. Galveston County, Texas, USA
Outbreak described as "Epidemic Neuromyasthenia Variant?" and "Epidemic Diencephalomyelitis," the latter describing neuropsychiatric, cardiovascular and endocrine disorders.

1967-70
Edinburgh, Scotland
Sporadic cases resembling benign myalgic encephalomyelitis.

43. Fraidek, Lebanon
Report on an epidemic of benign myalgic encephalomyelitis.

44. State University of New York, USA
Medical Centre - report of epidemic Neuromyasthenia and "unidentified symptom complex."

45. Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, USA
Epidemic Neuromyasthenia reported. "A syndrome or disease?"

1970-71
46. London, England
An outbreak of "epidemic neuromyasthenia" among nurses a the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Oromond Street.

47. Sacramento, California, USA
"200 hospital staff in the [Mercy San Juan Hospital] fell ill in August September 1975. The epidemic appears to have spread to the children of the hospital staff and from there to the children's teachers. 43 have been seriously disabled with chronic illness from 1975-1992" [at publication of this text].

48. Southwest Ireland
Reports on Mylagic Encephalomyelits and epidemic neuromyasthenia in this region.

49. Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, USA
"Epidemic Neuromyasthenia" reported.

[Ed. note: Dr. Hyde's text notes that the first major M.E./CFS Symposium was held at the Royal Society of Medicine in London in this year. M.E. aka epidemic neuromyasthenia, viral relationships to this disease, biochemical abnormalities in patients and other subjects were discussed by experts such as Shelokov, Ramsay, Richardson, Behan, Parish and others.]

50. Southampton, England
Outbreak of M.E. in a girls' school.

1980-81
51. West Kilbridge, Ayrshire, Scotland
M.E. epidemic reported in a rural medical practice.

1980-83
52. Helensburgh, Scotland
Coxsackie B outbreak reported in a general practice.

1981-82
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Sporadic cases of M.E. reported.

1982-84
53. West Otago, New Zealand
Outbreak first described and an "unexplained illness," later as M.E. Included here are outbreaks in Dunedin and Hamilton New Zealand.

"From 1984 until 1992 [at publication of this text] an endemic period occurred in which an usually large number of cluster and epidemics of M.E./CFS have been recognized in North America. After an apparent initial increase in the morbidity in 1983 there seemed to have appeared in late summer of 1984 an unprecedented increase of sporadic and epidemic cases across North America. Although certain geographical hot spots seen to have taken up much of the medical interest, this endemic situation probably represents an unusual and unremitting morbidity in all areas of the United States and Canada." -Dr. Byron Hyde-

54. Incline Village, Lake Tahoe, Nevada, USA
"A chronic illness characterized by fatigue, neurlogic and immunologic disorders and active human herpesvirus type 6 infection." "This community epidemic, apparently started in a girls' basketball team, then involved primarily teacher in at lest three high schools, and then large numbers of the community."

55. Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
"Epidemic amongst members of The North Carolina Symphony Orchestra. Low NKC [Natural Killer Cells] associated with high yield of lymphoma, astrocytoma, glioma."

56. Montreal, Quebec-Ontario, Canada
"Over 500 cases of M.E./CFS documented during August-November 1984 period. This endemic was active in all parts of Canada during this period and appears [to] have maintained its activity until the time of writing in 1991."

1984-85
57. Truckee, California, USA
M.E. epidemic involving teachers and students.

58. Lyndonville, New York, USA
M.E. epidemic in a rural community involving children and adults.

59. Yerington, Nevada, USA
"In the same area [not far from Truckee, California] an M.E./CFS-like epidemic reputedly occurred in a reservation of American Native people."

60. Placerville, California, USA
"Outbreak of chronic fatigue syndrome 'coincident with a heavy contamination of the local unfiltered water supply'."

61. Sonora, California, USA
"More than 35 children and adults were diagnosed with M.E. in the mountain country 100 miles from Lake Tahoe. Many of these patients were associated in some way with Columbia Community College."

62. Roseville, California, USA
Rosedale Hopital reported 11 cases of M.E./CFS among staff.

63. Elk Grove, California, USA
M.E. epidemic among teachers and students.

Carrigon

How did we ever get away from the name Poliomyelitis? And were there ever any cases prior to the 1934 LA outbreak? It would indicate that this is an old disease or an industrial revolution caused disease. I thought I had read of it being described as early at the 1860's or 1880's, but in sporadic, random cases.

max

For V99

Doesn't matter - dead horses and flogging spring to mind - kept me strangely amused for a couple of nights - rules are rules and I apparently broke some. I challenge anybody to insert a comma in that place without getting it rammed back down your throat.

If there are any journalists left out there with bottle that can beg steal borrow or pay vast amounts of money to gain access to FD23/4553/1 (with personal patient details blacked out of course!!!) and post it on Wiki with references then I would be eternally greatful - I pity anyone diagnosed with ME to visit wiki as their first reference for information - yes its referenced and sourced but so were WMD's etc etc etc etc. If I had any hair left on my head then I would willingly rip it out.

Advocate

FYI
1. Los Angeles City and California State, USA
Epidemic among personnel at L.A. County Hospital, Ruth Protection Home and throughout California, paralleling poliomyelitis, often diagnosed as atypical poliomyelitis, sometimes including arthropathy...

63. Elk Grove, California, USA
M.E. epidemic among teachers and students.

It's striking to see 63 epidemics listed clearly like that. I'm glad somebody's keeping track. Did you research and compile the list yourself?

Advocate

Hello all - I'm new on here and could do with some help regarding FD 23/4553/1
I'm in a battle at the mo on Wikipedia CFS page in the discussion section and losing badly - any assistance advice would be welcome !

(I'm a carer for my partner who is severely ill (14years) and we're still fighting)

Bless you for taking care of your partner. I wish I could help with the Wikipedia page, but am clueless. I hope some of the knowledgeable people on this form will be able to help you.

max

Bless you for taking care of your partner. I wish I could help with the Wikipedia page, but am clueless. I hope some of the knowledgeable people on this form will be able to help you.

..... I'm touched by your comment - its the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me - many thanks - its not difficult to care for someone who is incredibly brave and strong -

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
@ Max

I'm afraid, Max, I don't have time to discuss this issue, but you may be interested in this posting on my site, dated 28 December 09.

This is a copy of the response received from the Public Services Development Unit, National Archives to a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act submitted in December, last year, by a third party.

http://meagenda.wordpress.com/2009/...-services-development-unit-national-archives/

Response from Public Services Development Unit, National Archives
22 December 2009

Suzy

max

@ Max

I'm afraid, Max, I don't have time to discuss this issue, but you may be interested in this posting on my site, dated 28 December 09.

This is a copy of the response received from the Public Services Development Unit, National Archives to a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act submitted in December, last year, by a third party.

http://meagenda.wordpress.com/2009/...-services-development-unit-national-archives/

Response from Public Services Development Unit, National Archives
22 December 2009

Suzy

Thanks Suzy - Have read their statement - not impressed - and not convinced its over.

max

starryeyes

The far-too-close association between the UK Shrinks and the CDC/CFS William Reeves is the reason we would write to our Congress people about a UK document that has been locked for 83 years. Others are more versed in the very close relationship between the UK shrinks and the CDC/CFS Reeves. The impact of one government (UK) on another government (US) health care is a bit alarming - in THIS CASE. If the UK is hiding a document for 83 years, then what is OUR government hiding as well???
What is in that UK document? How does it affect the US, Canada, and other countries? So, although it is a UK document, we ALL (US/UK/Canada/Others) really do need to know what is in that darn document. So I guess we US folks help the UK folks to get access to that darn document.

Sebellius (DHHS) is Frieden's boss (CDC). CDC is under DHHS. Reeves is a pee-on at CDC and has a number of layers above him before he gets to Tom. Go to the CDC.gov site and look at the Org charts, etc. Do remember that the CDC has gone through some sort of re-organziation again andn I don't KNOW how that affects the Reeve's shop or Reeves. The CDC likes to re-org. A good comments I saw on www.cdcchatter.net was the CDC reorganization is similar to "re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic". Works for me....

Thank you Muffin. This is excellent info to have. You go Girl! :D

starryeyes

For V99

Doesn't matter - dead horses and flogging spring to mind - kept me strangely amused for a couple of nights - rules are rules and I apparently broke some. I challenge anybody to insert a comma in that place without getting it rammed back down your throat.

If there are any journalists left out there with bottle that can beg steal borrow or pay vast amounts of money to gain access to FD23/4553/1 (with personal patient details blacked out of course!!!) and post it on Wiki with references then I would be eternally greatful - I pity anyone diagnosed with ME to visit wiki as their first reference for information - yes its referenced and sourced but so were WMD's etc etc etc etc. If I had any hair left on my head then I would willingly rip it out.

Thank you for trying Max. I tried too. We have a thread here somewhere on PR called "Wiki Wars". You are to be commended for being so caring as a carer. :Retro smile:

Most of us are way too brain-fogged to take Wiki on unfortunately. Our patient support groups are useless to us when it comes to this kind of thing too. We are just left to rot.

knackers323

here is a theory. Lets say this UK state secret is that they know xmrv is the cause of cfs? And people like weesley have been put in place to push the psycological line to deliberately keep it hiden. It is only that a private, non government run lab stumbled across it that it has now come out.

If this were true we should be very worried that this discovery will be buried again and we may miss our chance for answers. Is this why we are seeing the delay with the Alter paper?

In my mind I dont think this could be a so far fetched scenario. I cant believe we cant get this information released somehow.

If there is supposedly 17 million of us worldwide with cfs, much more than say MS, then why are these other conditions so well known and having things done to help the cause, when nothing is being done for us? (In Australia there is a national campain every year, the MS read-a-thon, where all primary school children get sponsored to read as many books as they can in a month to raise money and awareness)

Maybe its time we as a group start trying to implement ideas like this and demend more be done, because obviously no one is coming to offer us any help. Are we making it too easy for governments to go on ignoring us?

yeah i agree with you...........Malpractice is a specific legal term related to lawsuits alleging various different circumstances leading to damage to a patient. Malpractice suits may allege various mistakes made by doctors or other medical professionals, including misdiagnosis, mistreatment, or various types of negligence. Not all errors in medical diagnosis and treatment are necessarily malpractice, because there are certain risks and margins for error that arise inherently in the practice of medicine...i think you can get more reviews from the below link..

http://www.medical-malpractice-court-cases.com/

Enid

Stunning piece of history on "outbreaks". One wonders whether research on the findings taken together might throw up some more light. Polio like symptoms very much part of my problems. Thank you for posting.

C

Cloud

What if there were a concerted campaign, involving the media and parliaments, to open the file? Hammer it home: what are they keeping secret?

"Concerted" and immediate may be necessary to prevent forgery of the original info in those documents. If the info is that insidious and possibly incriminating, and they have gone to these lengths to hide facts, it also seems likely that they would alter the documents if forced disclosure were imminent?

leela

What we really need is someone within that organization to send the file to Wikileaks. How do we do that? Is anyone connected enough in the UK to know who/how
to contact to launch an effort to recruit the leakage? For those of you unfamiliar with Wikileaks, it is a totally protected fully anonymous untraceable way to provide
classified or sensitive information to the public. Really neat guy started it:
http://wikileaks.org/wiki/WikiLeaks:About

One thing I am curious to know is whether there are equivalent secret files for other illnesses. If these files really are blanked to protect patient data, and this is a normal sort of thing, then there should be masses more such files for all kinds of other illnesses. Secret IBS files, MS files, etc etc anyone? Or are we the only ones?...