• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cause of Death among Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
Thanks for your reply. I hope everything turns out okay for you. Would you keep me posted? One of the first thing I noticed was an old lesion on my abdomen that started changing.

I'm really hesitant to go to a dermatologist. The energy it takes to do that is something I just don't have right now. Last time I camped in the waiting room for over an hour.

If I did have skin cancer, I don't think I'd do anything about it. I watched what treating metastatic squamous cell carcinoma did to my dad and I would not choose that. Plus I've had no income for two years and things like co-pays are a big deal for me. I'm getting to the point where I have only minimal control of the pain. So I think if I had a malignancy, I'd rather cash in the air miles I still have, load up on meds and head to Paris one last time. That's just me and my personal choice. I don't have children, I've lived a great life and I have no fear of finding out what's on the other side.

Most skin cancer is not malignant. However, if you don't have them taken care of they can cause all sorts of problems. I have had 3 basal cell skin cancers removed and one squamous cell. I'm on medicare and they covered the procedures except for small co pay.
I would at least see your PCP or go to a free clinic nearby to have them see if you need to see a derm. (sometimes county health department can help you)

BTW 2 basals on the face. Then many years later, I had a basal on one leg and squamous on the other at same time. I attribute that weirdness to my funky immune system. I see a derm yearly for a head to toe exam.

Ruthie24

I've had melanoma, basal cell and several that are moderate-atypia...on their way toward cancer. Once I was found with the melanoma my derm has had a very low threshold for removing whatever she thinks is the least bit suspicious looking. Ironically the one that was melanoma didn't look that bad.

I've got a half inch darker/slightly pinky patch of skin appeared on my lower shin a couple of years ago.

I keep meaning to have it looked at but keep forgetting. There's always something else to be dealing with o_O

I decided to see how it reacts when i next sit outside.... That was 2 years ago... :bang-head:

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
I had a pre-cancerous lesion on my scalp. Right where I parted my hair. Two odd lesions on my face were taken off about 5 years ago. I used to sail.

My last colonastomy 2-3 years ago, 3 polyps were removed also pre-cancerous. I'm getting another in a few weeks, besides saving my life, their drugs take away ME/CFS pain for at least 2 hours, which is another reason to go.

I legit have a scaly lesion at the exact same place haha.. Luckily i already have a booked appointment with a dermatologist for eye psoriasis or else i probably wouldnt think two seconds about it

humanrising

Not sure if this has been posted before. But I have heard it said on several occaisions that people with ME are known to die on average 25 years younger than the general population yet never found the research behind it.[

I went on a binge watching Utube videos on ME. One of the ME/CSF researchers looking for biomarkers found that we have shorter "telomers" for our age groups and that people with shorten telomers have shorter lives. the numbers were beyond sad.... I believe it was about 25 years as well. I wish I hadn't watched so many in one day so I might be able to find it again but my memory is toast. if I find it I will post it.

Marky90

Not sure if this has been posted before. But I have heard it said on several occaisions that people with ME are known to die on average 25 years younger than the general population yet never found the research behind it.[

I went on a binge watching Utube videos on ME. One of the ME/CSF researchers looking for biomarkers found that we have shorter "telomers" for our age groups and that people with shorten telomers have shorter lives. the numbers were beyond sad.... I believe it was about 25 years as well. I wish I hadn't watched so many in one day so I might be able to find it again but my memory is toast. if I find it I will post it.

Telomore shortening is found in multiple chronic conditions (like diabetes), so im not sure it`s indicative of a shortened life-span necessarily. The studies on mortality and ME has been kind of inconclusive, although there does seem to be a higher risk of cardiovascular disease and hodgkins lymphoma. There is also a lot more suicides compared to the healthy population. In multiple of the studies on mortality, the cause of death has been reported by family not a coroner/health professional which also makes it hard to draw conclusions.

humanrising

Telomore shortening is found in multiple chronic conditions (like diabetes), so im not sure it`s indicative of a shortened life-span necessarily. The studies on mortality and ME has been kind of inconclusive, although there does seem to be a higher risk of cardiovascular disease and hodgkins lymphoma. There is also a lot more suicides compared to the healthy population. In multiple of the studies on mortality, the cause of death has been reported by family not a coroner/health professional which also makes it hard to draw conclusions.

more then likely I am missing more of why this was linked specifically with ME it might have been more then telomere shorting. I an sorry I probably shouldn't have commented without really remembering what I watched and its significance. I was just taken back about the shorting of ones years.... that stuck but as usual I remember the flashy bits but the rest not so much!

Marky90

more then likely I am missing more of why this was linked specifically with ME it might have been more then telomere shorting. I an sorry I probably shouldn't have commented without really remembering what I watched and its significance. I was just taken back about the shorting of ones years.... that stuck but as usual I remember the flashy bits but the rest not so much!

Haha no worries! Ur right though a pretty big study found telomere shortening in patients satisfying the Fukuda-criteria, and also in patients with fatigue as the only criteria

Edit: the studies on mortality are separate from the telomere study^^