• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can we found a CFS Journalist's prize?

cigana

Hi,

I was thinking about how best to spend money. Let's say we can get $5000 together - a perfectly achievable target. How would that money be best spent? It would get you almost nowhere in terms of research or law suits.

But suppose with that money we founded a "CFS Journalist's Prize". We could stipulate that the article had to discuss biomedical research for example, or expose corruption. We could also insist the article appear in a major daily newspaper.

I reckon the benefits could snowball - once you have one or two journalists writing on our side and uncovering corruption, the proverbial could hit the fan big time and this would naturally lead to public outrage, more research and better treatment.

The first prize would be so easy - a journalist would only have to discuss CFS in a positive light to be in the running.

I just think this is the best way to change our situation - getting the press on our side.

What do you think? Could we do 5x $1000 prizes instead?

Cig

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
I like the thought of a competition between journalists for a nice prize, but I think that the standards for winning should be higher for that kind of money (don't know what yet though). I like the corruption angle, it's something that could grow legs of it's own if somebody first gets at least part of the story out there.....