• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BWG Phase Two Results - Webinar

Bob

Agree Free, but don't forget Dr Bishop (& Stoye?) at the Nat.Inst.for Medical Research (Mill Hill in the UK, ? MRC funded), have just finished recruiting for their new study "XMRV and Human Disease". At least then they will be able to claim that, in spite of their original negative XMRV findings, they have now resumed their studies, (since the September Conference), in fact they've broadened them. (Although have to admit they haven't specifically mentioned that they are looking at 'XMRV and ME/CFS', though I gather from Dr Shepherd at the ME Association, that he has had a meeting/chat with both Bishop and Stoye and that they 'really want to help us').

Something/someone must have encouraged them to take another look. Was it a shared piece of breakthrough research over a coffee with Judy, or the Lo/Alter FDA/NIH findings? I'm guessing that the NIMR is the premier UK Government research facility (though funded by industry, rather than tax payer funds - or do they end up being the same at the end of the day? Not entirely sure how this works.) and they wouldn't want to look daft or churlish if their American colleagues at FDA/NIH had definitely found something. They would want to look again. And they're doing so ...

I've been hearing for some time that Kate Bishop is taking XMRV seriously, and is engaging seriously in XMRV research. I don't know much about her, but I don't think that she's like Professor Myra McClure who has been aggressively hostile towards XMRV ever since she failed to detect it. I think that Bishop realises that her negative results were not conclusive evidence of absence. That's my interpretation of what I've read about her anyway. If you look at her NIMR profile, she doesn't seem to be denying the existence of XMRV at all, but seems to be actively accepting and promoting its existence and engaging in further research, which seems pretty comprehensive...

Kate Bishop group
Infection and replication of retroviruses

One area of research in my lab is to investigate the link between XMRV and prostate cancer and CFS. We are also interested in the prevalence of the virus in the general population and the risk to human health. Our initial focus has been to set up serological assays for XMRV and test patient sera for antibodies to the virus. We can also screen for the presence of viral nucleic acid and proteins. In addition we are interested in the susceptibility of this virus to restriction factors in the host.

http://www.nimr.mrc.ac.uk/research/kate-bishop/

Bishop even had a positive paper on XMRV published in March 2010...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20194752

So, hopefully, she's on our side now...

I think that any research scientist who denies the existence of XMRV just because they can't detect it (i.e. Myra McClure), is going to look pretty ignorant and incompetent when the XMRV findings continue to be confirmed, as more studies are completed.

I'd never heard of the UK's NIMR (National Institute for Medical Research) until Bishop came to our attention. The website says it is funded by the MRC and tax payers (same thing).

jspotila

DHHS has expressed interest in the number of people who register for/attend the webinar as a way of gauging the community's interest in the BWG study. You can register here: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/985931313

Show them we're interested! And (I hope) get answers to questions arising from yesterday's presentations about the study.

George

waitin' fer rabbits
DHHS has expressed interest in the number of people who register for/attend the webinar as a way of gauging the community's interest in the BWG study. You can register here: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/985931313

Show them we're interested! And (I hope) get answers to questions arising from yesterday's presentations about the study.

Hey JSpotila are they going to count the number who "register" or the number who "connect" to the webinar. Cause a lot of people would probably "register" that have really slow dial up connections and wouldn't be able to "connect". So is "register" like a vote or do they have to "connect" too???

jspotila

Hey JSpotila are they going to count the number who "register" or the number who "connect" to the webinar. Cause a lot of people would probably "register" that have really slow dial up connections and wouldn't be able to "connect". So is "register" like a vote or do they have to "connect" too???

I don't know for sure, George, but I encourage everyone to register. There is always attrition between the number who register and number who connect, whether for dial up or other reasons. Err on the side of impressive numbers and register!

Sasha

Fine, thank you

Hi Jennie - I think it's a great idea to show the DHHS that we're interested - wondered if you wanted to start a thread on the Action/Alerts subforum specifically about getting people to register.

jspotila

Hi Jennie - I think it's a great idea to show the DHHS that we're interested - wondered if you wanted to start a thread on the Action/Alerts subforum specifically about getting people to register.

Done, Sasha! Great suggestion!

RivkaRivka

is anyone watching today with me? right now the speaker is going over past studies that have found and not found xmrv. and diff types of testing methods. nothing new yet. but he says that what they will share today is what they shared at the FDA blood products advisory group meeting this wk.

leaves

Do we know what the false positive of WPI means for those of us that tested positive through VIP labs? I.e. is a false positive possible?