• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Burning, Menthol/Mint feeling at Back of Throat?

RyeRyeBread

(unsure whether to place this under here [pain] or PEM, but i figure if anyone else has this and searches for it, they'd use "burning" or some adjective similar, which would be considered pain :/)

Every so often - after I've pushed myself too much and start to feel like I'm crashing - I experience this weird burning feeling at the back+top/back of my throat. It's not really a "painful" sensation, more like a cool-but-hot burn, like menthol cough drops or mint. It's annoying, and noticeable, but not painful. More noticeable when I breathe in.

*I do not smoke, or use menthol cough drops, for reference
*I have yet to decipher whether this feeling occurs when I'm having the appearance of "red crescents" at the back of my throat, may be related, but I've only had this burning a handful of times
*Haven't been sick, aside from suspected-me/cfs stuff

Anyone experience something similar?

Pyrrhus

Every so often - after I've pushed myself too much and start to feel like I'm crashing - I experience this weird burning feeling at the back+top/back of my throat.
*I have yet to decipher whether this feeling occurs when I'm having the appearance of "red crescents" at the back of my throat, may be related, but I've only had this burning a handful of times

Could be herpangina?

RyeRyeBread

Could be herpangina?
No, doesn't seem like it; I don't have any sores or flu symptoms that seem to correlate directly with this weird menthol feeling or the red crescents - thank you for the suggestion though 😊

*the red crescents in throat are just, well, red. No noticeable bumps or sores of any type (though when PEM hits sometimes it *feels* a little achy/like a baby sore throat, but disappears when recovering, or sooner)

It's not quite a pain-feeling... just like
c o o l ? lol
almost like when it's really cold out and you breathe in, but minus the external cold feelings lol
and it's not dry, or scratchy or sore
like those York peppermint patty commercials 😂😂

It seems to only come up when i push myself too hard, and disappears after a few minutes. maybe its a chemical thing (from exertion/PEM stuff)? 🤷‍♂️