• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

British Shows

Rufous McKinney

This airyness is also something Pink Floyd perfected as well

Cow Palace south of San Francisco, Pink Floyd (british band) 1974. The entire Dark Side of the Moon Light Show (British Show)

They shot off the rocket. It flew across the entire cow palace. Landed behind the stage, in what I seem to recall was a pile of hay bales which were promptly irrigated with hoses (am I remembering that correctly? because I could see it, and hay does not seem logical, and where was the Daley City Fire Department?).

An entire circus, with all the animals in decorative cages- left the Cow Palace as we were all arriving.

Wolfcub

A few years ago, I heard Bowie sing....live, in my garden !

(How did I manage that, we ask...?)
Because he was at the Glastonbury Festival, and I live not far away from that site. The wind was in my direction, and it was kind of like having a back seat at the concert. I could even hear most of the lyrics :D

Wonderful

lenora

I've heard a lot about the Glastonbury festival. Lucky you; well I guess if you're planning to stay @ home that weekend, it's lucky. I only ever paid attention to David Bowie after his death...a great pity. Funny thing is that I/we identified with the Beatles, but I can't tolerate their music now. I don't know why it is, but there, that's being upfront and honest.

Today, like I've mentioned, our tastes have moved on to light opera, Loreena McKennitt and other quality sopranos and tenors. I guess we keep evolving over time; and it's a good thing.

starlily88

the Beatles, but I can't tolerate their music now. I don't know why it is, but there, that's being upfront and honest.

I only listen to my CD's in my car. But I still love to hear the Beatles at Midnight in Times Square as the Ball drops. I always start to cry - it's about all of us coming together in peace.

starlily88

My mind is lost....somewhere! Yes, I remember that you sent a reply about Stellan Skaarsgard & his hit show. It was very good, also the one with Gillian Andersen - 'The Fall' if you're in the right frame of mind. i.e. Don't mind violence, that sort of thing. In the meantime, watch 'Doc Martin' for something a bit more lighthearted. Bear in mind that he's playing the ROLE of a somewhat mentally challenged man, thus the reason you aren't on the ground laughing in mirth. Please don't take this the wrong way, anyone, plenty of jabs are made at people like us, and we just take them. This isn't meant as a jab against those who are mentally challenged, indeed, I have the greatest respect for them, but I was only trying to explain the role he plays in this series. Thanks. Yours, Lenora.

Lenora, you wrote to me PM (don't know how you knew my name), Anyway I wrote you back this morning on Stellan Skaarsgard - and the name of the one movie I loved him in. He made movies with Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish directors. I saw "The Fall" it was good.
I have watched every single "Doc Martin" over and over again.
I can't watch the last 2 seasons - because I don't have the streaming place he is on.
But I watch the older seasons on PBS all the time - in real life, he loves dogs, and the dogs love him.
I really liked getting Doc Martin on DVD from library - they have detailed interviews with the actors.
Amazing to see how funny he is in real life - they all love the many tourists they allow on set while shooting!

YippeeKi YOW !!

Bear in mind that he's playing the ROLE of a somewhat mentally challenged man,
We must be watching different Doc Martin's. In mine, he's NOT mentally challenged, which implies limited IQ, but rather has a phobia about blood, a difficult handicap for a gifted surgeon. Hence his withdrawal to be a General Surgeon in the small port town of Portwenn ....
thus the reason you aren't on the ground laughing in mirth
I often chuckle out loud at both Doc Martin's consternation with most of humanity, and the endearing, charming residents of Portwenn. I just love that show .....

Last edited:

lenora

We just be watching different Doc Martin's. In mine, he's NOT mentally challenged, which implies limited IQ, but rather has a phobia about blood, a difficult handicap for a gifted surgeon. Hence his withdrawal to be a General Surgeon in the small port town of Portwenn ....

I often chuckle out loud at both Doc Martin's consternation with most of humanity, Hand the endearing, charming residents of Portwenn. I just love that show .....
Hi

Wolfcub

Hello Wolfcub,
I think one of the reasons a lot of older British shows don't make it to our shores has to do with the voltage of the electricity. I've noticed on old tapes (even CD's for sale) that it will often specify which ones are safe to use on machines made in the U.S. vs UK. Does that make any sense?
Oh I didn't know that about different voltage in the US !

But also there can be another issue sometimes. Some DVDs can only be played in one "zone". They don't all have this restriction, but some do.
So if for instance you are in "zone 2" and you have to change your zone to "zone 1" to watch a DVD I found out you can only do that once. If you try to switch zones one more time, your player will never be able to play any DVD from any zone ever again.
I accidentally bought a Canadian DVD, a good movie, but found that out when I watched it.

And @lenora I adore Loreena McKennitt. She is one of my top favourite musicians.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Oh I didn't know that about different voltage in the US !
I don't think it's a 'voltage' issue... I think it's the 'zone' issue. Frankly, it all confuses the shite out of me ....
Some DVDs can only be played in one "zone".
I've run into this too, and knowing the twisty-ness of switching things around, I simply didnt and returned the DVD unplayed.

Than you for the input and the warning, Howlin', very helpful and much appreciated !!!

Wolfcub

I've run into this too, and knowing the twisty-ness of switching things around, I simply didnt and returned the DVD unplayed.
I just did it once, then back again once. And now there is no way I can ever switch zones again on this laptop anyway.
I guess it teaches me to always read the small print...:headslap:

lenora

Hello Starlilly. You know, I don't believe I've heard that one, but I'll listen to it. Amazon Music's amazing, isn't it? We live in Dallas and after things happen on the East Coast (we're talking New York City here), there's nothing. Poor Californians have it even worse, 3 hrs. behind here, 4 from NYC makes a terrific difference. Yes, you can take public transport to places in downtown SF or Dallas, for that matter, but nothing appears on TV. OK...I'm only out here for an hr., as I fell again today and it seems that the electrolytes are affecting my bp mightily...which stands to reason. So I'm hoping for a better day tomorrow. Yours, Lenora

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnieT

Programmes I have enjoyed....

The Stranger and Safe, on Netflix

Line of Duty , on BBC
Detectorists and also This Country are nice chilled comedy. Also love anything with Steve Coogan.

Older British shows I watch .... Darling Buds of May, Agatha Christie Miss Marple.

Also watch the Chase quiz show every day.

Used to love Most Haunted.... but got too cynical!

lenora

Hello Annie....Thanks for the tips about 'The Stranger' and 'Safe' on Netflix. I'll be sure to watch out for them b/c I dread the coming summer as we seem to have seen anything worthwhile already. I'll also watch out for anything with Steve Coogan.

Catch some of the Australian shows, they're often quite good. We're rather fond of ones with Asher Keddie....I think you'd enjoy them. One is a series on an adult family and the other especially good one about the magazine Clio. Any tips from anyone else would be most welcome. Oh, an NZ also has very few but highly watchable films in its fledgling industry.

AnnieT

In Britain we live Australian tv and film, ... I will look out for those.

Do you have Netflix? I love Anne with an E ! Based on anne of green gables. I don't watch much at all on Netflix though, it's my husband who likes to have it.

Rufous McKinney

Oh this episode of this show is really really funny- and so very British!

Such Good Sports. This oddly- reminds me of many of us! We are quite particular about- our issues.