• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bristol protest in support of sufferers of the "invisible" chronic fatigue disease

"Bristol protest in support of suffers of the "invisible" chronic fatigue disease"

Dozens of protesters are expected to march in Bristol in support of people who suffer from a debilitating, but much ignored, disease.

Often referred to as "yuppie flu" or dismissed as "laziness", Myalgic Encephalopathy (ME) – sometimes called Chronic Fatigue Symptom - is still perceived by many as a "made up" illness put on by people who are tired.

But now supporters in Bristol are planning to take part in a worldwide protest march onCollege Greento show solidarity with sufferers in the hope of prompting greater investment in to research funding for the illness.
Organiser of the Bristol march, Katharine Cheston, said: "This is a global day of protest, with events already planned across America and Europe, and its theme is "Millions Missing," to recognise people with ME missing from their careers, schools and lives, and also crucial research funding and medical education is missing from this illness."

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/8203-b...ible-disease/story-29564996-detail/story.html

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I'm very impressed by the image that this article led with:

15002728-large.jpg

That's more like it - and I think it's one of the best I've ever seen in a newspaper for representing how serious this disease can get. Well done, Bristol Post, and well done, Katherine Cheston!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Great that publicity is happening already, bit confused though why there is a link given to Action for ME website at the end, are they joining in with the Millions Missing campaign in the UK? Any idea @JaimeS ?
While it is great to see my local rag covering an ME story, sadly this article in the Bristol Post is riddled with grammatical and factual errors. The link to Action for ME is just one of them! The error is perhaps understandable as Action for Me are now based just outside Bristol and #MEAction is not well known, as yet, in these parts. It is also ironic as Action for ME used to called ME Action many years ago and many of the old pwMEs, of which I'm one, still refer to it as ME Action!

I'm pleased to see two comments below this article from JulieZ correcting this error and re-directing readers to #MEAction.

(To add to the confusion, there is still an MEActionUK website, http://www.meactionuk.org.uk, which carries many of Margaret Williams and Professor Malcolm Hooper's excellent articles.)

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I thought it was pretty good, on balance, and I thought there were some great quotes from Katherine Cheston.

worldbackwards

I'm very impressed by the image that this article led with:

15002728-large.jpg

That's more like it - and I think it's one of the best I've ever seen in a newspaper for representing how serious this disease can get. Well done, Bristol Post, and well done, Katherine Cheston!
I bet that if it wasn't so blurry, you'd be able to see that it was a beautiful woman yawning in that bed.