• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain functional connectivity in people with ME/CFS

SWAlexander

Key findings​

• Detailed MRI scans were used to investigate communication between different areas of the brain – or functional connectivity – in people with ME/CFS.
  • Functional connectivity was impaired between areas of the brain involved in movement, cognitive function, sensory processing, the sleep–wakefulness cycle, self-awareness and autonomic responses.
  • In addition, functional connectivity was associated with respiration, length of illness, fatigue severity, pain intensity and memory scores.
  • These results highlight the involvement of the brainstem and cerebellum in the mechanisms underlying ME/CFS, and suggest that there are ongoing changes in the brain.

Dr Barnden explains more about his research in this short video:

Conclusion​

Dr Barnden and his team say that their findings highlight the involvement of the brainstem and cerebellum in the mechanisms of ME/CFS. They also suggest that their results indicate that ME/CFS may be associated with ongoing changes in the brain. For this reason, research that follows individuals over time is needed.

We look forward to seeing more results from this research, and how Dr Barnden and his team will build on these findings in their ongoing studies.
Read: https://www.meresearch.org.uk/research/brain-functional-connectivity-in-people-with-me-cfs/

Wishful

This is the kind of study I'd been waiting for, to find out why our brains aren't working properly, and hopefully to divert funding from studies of what are most likely downstream effects to more upstream dysfunction.

Only a small study, and unfortunately without any non-healthy controls, but a good start. I hope that follow-up studies get funding.

Wayne

@Wayne , have you tried this? And if so, did you see any results?

I actually do it every day (and have for years), usually 1-2x, depending on need. I will do it even more often if my system seems to be calling for it. I almost always notice a shift, but occasionally I don't. The shifts I experience range anywhere from subtle, to pretty profound, leaving me wondering how such a seemingly simple technique can make me feel so much better in such a short amount of time.

I think part of reason for that is I believe my electrical/energetic system is quite sensitive, and thus quite susceptible to some of the noxious EMFs and other energies we're bombarded with daily. I suspect that when I notice a particularly significant shift, it's when I've really been thrown out of whack, and am able to initiate a "righting of the ship" from doing the tapping.

Interestingly, I also do some tapping in my imagination. I most often do it when I wake up at night, and am not sure I'm going to be able to get back to sleep. So instead of tapping with my physical arms and hands and possibly waking myself up even more, I tap in my imaginagtion. It may be my imagination :whistle: or some kind of placebo effect, but it really works quite well for me. I think another important component is that I also silently sing the HU song (which I link to in my signature) while I do this, which has a nice calming effect for me.

Another reason I think I sometimes experience profound shifts, is possibly when my normal energetic rhythms starting flowing in reverse. I first read about this when I was exploring biocircuits. It was mentioned that approximately 2% of the population go through life with their energetic polarities flowing in reverse. They say biocircuits sessions can correct this (which I believe to be true). But I also think various other energetic techniques can do the same. I tend to think a good number of people with ME/CFS may have disordered polarities which contribute to their chronic illness.

Last edited:

perchance dreamer

Interestingly, I also do some tapping in my imagination. I most often do it when I wake up at night, and am not sure I'm going to be able to get back to sleep. So instead of tapping with my physical arms and hands and possibly waking myself up even more, I tap in my imaginagtion. It may be my imagination :whistle: or some kind of placebo effect, but it really works quite well for me.

At night I'll sometimes do EFT tapping in my imagination, and it often works very well. For example, I have arthritis on the top of one of my feet. It was aching the other night, so rather than get up and apply a topical pain reliever, I did EFT in my head, and the pain went away.

If I wake in the middle of the night, I'll sometimes use this technique to fall back asleep, and often I'll fall asleep before completing the sequence.

RYO

A larger study replicating these results is needed. This study begs the question - what is causing brain connectivity issues? Herpes virus reactivation? HERVs? Glial inflammation? Immune cells that crossed BBB during initial viral infection? Are excitatory or inhibitory neurons affected?

Wayne

Do you alternate what hand to hold and what hand to use to tap?

Hi @Hufsamor -- I do usually alternate hands, going from one to the other as I make my way from the back of my head at the base to the forehead--four different locations altogether. I actually do two repetitions at the brainstem area, as I feel it's the area that needs the most attention. I think it's always good to adjust any kind of technique to our own unique situation.