• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Body-Mind Sensitivity = Vulnerability?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi Everyone,

I've noticed that a fair number of people here have worked with meditation in various ways--me too.

Here is what I am wondering: I've been interested to note over the years that a larger than usual number of us with some form of a fatigue syndrome have a bent toward spiritual exploration and practice. Also, in off-line communications (OK, I'm risking here!) I've found that a surprising number of patients have some variety of "sensitivity"--healing abilities, psychic awareness, etc.

So, assuming that I am not extrapolating anecdotal information to infer statistical significance, maybe some in this community have a greater sensitivity to "energy," and thus are perhaps more sensitive to influences that blow over the heads of "normal" folks. Influences being, in this case, toxic influences whether in lifestyle or actual environmental toxins.

Anyone else ever considers this? Am I especially nuts here, or just normally nuts?

Sushi

Jody

Aw Sushi,

You had to go there, huh?:D

Yes, I do know what you're talking about.

I don't usually talk about it because you can get alot of different kinds of reactions to this stuff.

You can look at the comparison of chronics to canaries in the mine shafts, we are the first ones to get knocked out by the poisons around us.

Look at our food sensitivities, chemical sensitivities, light and sound sensitivities, ... when I was a kid I couldn't wear wool against my bare skin it was too abrasive.

You can look at emotional sensitivities. When I was little I used to cry when other people were hurt or even looked like they MIGHT be hurt, physically or emotionally.

All my life people with pain in their lives have sought me out, often without even knowing me. One woman climbed across half a dozen people on a church pew to sit beside me, a stranger. She'd had a fight with her husband and gravitated toward me. I don't understand why this happens, I just know it has as far back as I can remember.

I can take the emotional temperature of a room the minute I walk in(not always but often) and sense that something is wrong before anybody says anything.

That's all I've got off the top of my head, but there have been a few websites that have talked about such things. Haven't been to them in a year or so but maybe I'll dig 'em up again....

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
In my experience you're right - at least in some ways. I did have a spiritual bent early on but it was eviscerated by confusion of ME/CFS for several decades. Now its emerging again - thankfully - because its been very helpful.

I do think that we're more susceptible to negative events or triggers - that our energy gets walloped much more easily by little things. Certainly we're more sensitive overall.

My question is whether this means we can be more effective in spiritual/mindfulness/energy areas as well. Does that same sensitivity mean that, if practiced properly, we could end up being more resilient - more in tune with our energy - more 'spiritual' for lack of a better word. Could what dragged us down also allow us to flower in certain ways?

That would be nice!

Jody

Does that same sensitivity mean that, if practiced properly, we could end up being more resilient - more in tune with our energy - more 'spiritual' for lack of a better word. Could what dragged us down also allow us to flower in certain ways?

My shortest answer EVER on here --

Yes.

Sushi

Cort,

I agree with Jody--yes! The achilles heel and be turned into a plus. That is what I am working on. Since I have evidence that my sensitive mind/body connection can almost immediately produce symptoms, I am working with this sensitivity as a means of strengthening, rather than draining, energy reserves and balancing ANS function. In the study of pranayama (yoga terminology for breathing exercises of various types, it has been shown that the ANS can be directly affected. I have also been hooked up to an EKG while meditating and seen that you can go from beta to alpha to theta to delta with practice--gotta be good for the ANS!

I think one thing to watch for is getting too much "psychic" (for want of a better word) energy activation which can, in my experience, actually stress the system. Sometimes the "blissy" state is actually creating excitotoxicity. I've done myself in with this a number of times.

Like all this--razor's edge!

Sushi

Jody

Sushi,

Loved this post. :D

I'm too buzzed out tonight to be able to respond to it properly. But I wanted to let you know, I really like what you're saying.:)

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Sushi - are there any particular type of breathing exercises that you're doing?

With regards to excitotoxicity or rather just excitement (could the two be the same in ME/CFS?) I've noticed that excitement - good excitement! - can be a real problem. Its not a negative emotion at all it's just too much activity at times for the system.

Since I have evidence that my sensitive mind/body connection can almost immediately produce symptoms, I am working with this sensitivity as a means of strengthening, rather than draining, energy reserves and balancing ANS function.

That first statement is me to a T - sensitive mind/body connection triggering symptoms. I love what you're doing - I hope it works. I'm trying (intermittently) as well. :)

Sushi

The breathing that I am trained in is different types of pranayama (prana = vital force, likely a Sanskrit code for something we are dealing with!:)

One that is effective for me is just called alternate nostril breathing. But it is done with a certain rhythm and technique. Quick start directions:
Sit as if for sitting meditation, back comfortably erect, (chair or floor), chin slightly lowered. Use right thumb and ring and pinky fingers to alternately gently close the right and left nostrils. Support your arm if needed. Exhale. Block right nostril and inhale left. Block both nostrils and hold. Unblock right and exhale slowly and steadily. Block both nostrils and hold breath out. Unblock left and slowly inhale. Keep going!

At first just use a slow comfortable rhythm imagining the breath flowing smoothly like liquid being poured. Then begin to shoot (as is comfortable) towards a rhythm of inhaling to a count of about 4, hold twice to 4 times as long, exhale to about a count of 8. Hold the breath out to about a count of 4. But comfortable is the bottom line--no achieving allowed.

See how this works for you.

Sushi

Jody

But comfortable is the bottom line--no achieving allowed.

Boy, this phrase "no achieving allowed." So succinct for chronics.

If we could get that concept in many areas of our lives, we would recover better I think. (At least, I know it's true for me. But I am trying.:D)

R**

I think so.

Speakin of breathing exercises:

I was given these breathing exercises by a man who was sending me Reiki for a while. He told me to do them, and I have. They are helpful. One is the alternatig nostril breathing.

The video drags, but was worth it for me. I wrote down the directions to make things easier. I'll share those... this probably belongs in another thread. I'll make one or find one.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-386913693756370208&hl=en

(it starts slow...)

Breathwork 1

2-5 minutes max

Site left heel against right thigh, right heel on topof left leg

Index finger to tip of thumb

Spinal Cord straight

Deep bearth from diaphram to to of lungs (Sense of Joy)

Inhale and exhale deeply, pressure same with each

No stress, ease, contentment on face

Take break, rest, start again

(for spinal cord yoga, same breath but sink in stomach gently after exhale, release, then inhale again)

body becoming enlightened, energized, aura expands, strong,

Breathwork 2

5 -10 minutes max

force air out as contract stomach inward (like vomiting)

do with ease, but force

exhale with force then relax

if tired, relax then start over

medium speed, not too fast if heart probs or chronic illness

expels toxins, diseases, impurity

unconscious and subconscious, systems of body fall into order

allergies, diabetes, sinus, snoring, asthma, concentration, incurable diseases, stomach, liver, acidity, gastric, kundalini awaken, vertical transformation

Breathwork 3

start 3X, 10-15 sec, max 21 in winter, 3-5X generally

breath in and out hard with noise

chin to chest

suck in stomach, navel upward

hold breath (10-15 sec?)

repeat

chin to chest

suck in stomach, navel upward

hold breath (10-15 sec?)

uterus, hernbia, gastric illness

Breathwork 4

10 minutes daily

nose

thumb on right nostril

breath into left nostril slowly

middle finger on left nostril

breath out of right nostril

inhale completely into lungs, lungs should expand

deep breaths inhale and exhale

rhythm in breathing

slowly, peace of mind, all the feelings,

rest in between

"my body systems will all awaken"

Ohm with every resting breath

rest concentrate on breath and mind

synovial fluid, ligaments, cartilage, connective tissue, arthritis, blockages in heart, kundalini awaken, divine energy and emotion, enlightnement, bliss, peace, light, energy, balance, varicose veins, nervous system rejuvination, health, anxiety, depression, parkinsons, migraine, blockages in nerves of brain, paralysis

Breathwork 5

close ears with thumbs

last 3 fingers on eyes close to nose with tips

index finger on forehead

deep breath in

deep breath out... Ohmmmm

rensions, afraid, suspicous, not trusting, hypertension, HBP, avoid heart disease, blockages in heart, negative energy, conscience, positive energy, migraine, paralysis, self confidence, concentration

Breathwork 6

Ohmmm...

twice while inhaling, once while exhaling (dont get this)

breath in

breath out... Ohm...

slow ongoing breathing

breathing with the mind

submission of arrogance, diseases mental disorders, spiritual knowledge, lies and ignorance, lose dark clouds within, one with eternal soul/superconsciousness

Breathwork 7

Thyroid: X2 -X11 day

squeeze throat like a fist

clinching

deep breath in

hold breath

chin down to chest

right thumb close right nostril

exhale left nostril

thyroid, snoring, throat problems, ashtma, phlem

More Breathing Exercises:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...-Health-Recommendation-of-Dr-Andrew-Weil.aspx

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Thanks - I'll try alternative nostril breathing - just couldn't get it before. Ashok Gupta highly recommended it. Thanks R** for those exercises - I'll check them out. I think breathing is key. I feel my breathing is quite dysregulated - shallow and short and often chaotic. Calming it down would certainly do me a world of good.

Had a stressful situation yesterday - breathing would just not calm down. It's not like I get lightheaded or dizzy; it's like I get into this fractured breathing pattern that has a mind of its own - making it difficult to get to sleep and sleep well - neither of which happened (yawn) last night.

As I mentioned before somewhere sciatica stopped me from doing more sitting meditation - hopefully this time will go better:)

R**

I like Mercola too. :)

The fractured breathing.. I get that.. I think similar or same.. I ahve thought it was babesia which I test to have antibodies for, but wonder if it is cellular apoxia (?) ?

Or maybe something with the back of the neck.. there is spot there that regulates breathing.. cranial sacral (or some other body work therapy) explanation that I do not remember.

Jody

R**

I owe part of my ongoing return to health to Dr. Mercola.

Makes me inordinately fond of him. :) Glad to hear someone else knows about him.

Freddd

Hi Sushi,

You said something about wondering about a generalized hypesentivity to all sorts of things. I would have to agree that there is. I always was and still am hypersentive to people's energies and emotional energies. However I also used to be hypersenstive to light, smells, tastes, chemicals, physical things and the like. Most all of those things have normalized now with the active b12 protocol. I can safely walk down the detergent aisle. No more asthma from the woman's perfume 5 rows away. No more hypsesenitive reactions of most kinds to foods or smells or sounds or lights. The extreme sensitivity to a persons energy however I have cultivated as a tantric achemist. My relationships with people are quite intense as a result. Methylb12 is sometimes called "the connection vitamin" because it opens up the channels between people as it brightens the rest of our sensory experiences.

brenda

more sensitive to influences that blow over the heads of "normal" folks. Influences being, in this case, toxic influences whether in lifestyle or actual environmental toxins.

I read somewhere, can't remember now, that the qualifications for being the 'witchdoctor' or medicine man or healer in a tribe was based on the degree of fibromyalgia of the person. Anyone else heard this?

Victoria

I'm dropping in on this discussion a bit late in the day (but you know how it is with being on the other side of the world & the time difference thing)

Here is what I am wondering: I've been interested to note over the years that a larger than usual number of us with some form of a fatigue syndrome have a bent toward spiritual exploration and practice. Also, in off-line communications (OK, I'm risking here!) I've found that a surprising number of patients have some variety of "sensitivity"--healing abilities, psychic awareness, etc.

Sushi,

I agree with you completely. I also, find it rather interesting how many of us are more than a little "sensitive" if you want to call it that.

Healing was somewhere inside of me before I had chronic health problems, but my Mother also had health problems (some of which suggest to me, in my current knowledge at the present time, as being not unlike FM).

My Mother was highly intuitive & psychic and I am highly intuitive, followed my "healing" instincts, & also have been called psychic.

I suspect if you did a poll of the members on this forum alone, you would find a fair proportion have a similar personality type, and in finding lack of help or recognition from the orthodox medical community, sought some sort of alternative as being "open" and receptive to the needs of those chronically ill. Fatigue & pain numb some of your normal senses. The sixth sense (or even the other 90% of our brain we supposedly don't use) is subconsciously brought to the fore. Our brain changes in subtle ways (as well as the more obvious).

So even if you weren't intuitive, interested in mind/body connections & alternative healing before your illness, there's a significant chance you might be now or would become so in the future. When you're sick, you slow down mentally & physically.

When you're very sick, you have the time & perhaps the mental energy to look more deeply inside yourself. Your skills of observation are increased. You are more "aware" of the subtle movements or energies around you. You have time to hear the sound of birds calling to each other. Pain may inhibit your own movement, but also gives you time to focus on the subtle energies & healing powers of self.

I believe we all have the power to heal ourselves, but are too busy scurrying around at such a frantic pace, filling our days with material possessions & superficial relationships, we don't take the time to understand ourselves & our true nature.

So, assuming that I am not extrapolating anecdotal information to infer statistical significance, maybe some in this community have a greater sensitivity to "energy," and thus are perhaps more sensitive to influences that blow over the heads of "normal" folks. Influences being, in this case, toxic influences whether in lifestyle or actual environmental toxins.

I've been in tune with my own body for many years, probably even before I studied massage. Like Jody, I can sense atmospheres, & have even been known to transfer thoughts or energies.

I remember one incident when I was 19 of sitting in an office busily working away with my head down, thinking I really must remember to ask so and so about that item. I kept thinking over & over that I must remember to ask (when I had finished that urgent task). Next moment, the co-worker called out to me & asked "what did I want?" (form the other side of the room). I hadn't even lifted my head, let alone spoken out loud.

I don't remember anything as a child, but I can't say I had a happy childhood, so maybe those memories are suppressed.

Anyone else ever considers this? Am I especially nuts here, or just normally nuts?

You are not nuts at all.

I asked the same thing of Jody last week (she will vouch for this, I'm sure). I said something like, how unwell & out of sorts I was since getting this computer. I said the computer sitting on my dining table & all the books & papers on the floor was making me feel "lopsided" or "back to front". In fact, they were my very words - lopside & back to front. I need a room to be organised and in harmony. (Feng Shui is the Chinese name for it).

My life had gone out of balance.

It took a couple of days of coming home promptly at the end of the work day & spending 2 hours in my garden re-aligning my internal balance.

Now, once I finished looking up a reference in a book, I put it back in it's alloted space on my bookshelf and I've tidyed the piles of internet research (from years ago that I wanted to revisit since joining this Forum), but I still have a desperate desire to clear my dining table & put back the scented clove pomanders in their alloted space & the candle where it belongs on the centre of the table.

I want the "smell" or aroma of my flat to return to normal. When I walk in at the end of the day, I want my flat to "receive me" and "calm' me. I want my nest to nestle around me & envelope me in it's comforting atmosphere.

The objects of modern technology - the computer & scanner/printer disturb me, even now, as I type this post. The contant faint brrrr (or hum) sound of the computer remind me of my office & the air conditioning in my office which I hate. Mosts afternoons, the aircon stops for a minute or two & you're suddenly aware of how silent it is. It "sounds" wonderful.

I love the silence. Most people can't stand silence. They don't know what to do with "silence".

Most people can't switch off & still their mind (as in meditation). When I first tried to still my mind early last year, it would run with thoughts a million miles an hour. I was trying to mentally lower my blood pressure. Took me about 3 months, but I finally learnt to do it.

Perhaps, other members might reflect on this sensitivity to energy.

Victoria

Had a stressful situation yesterday - breathing would just not calm down

Cort, did you not think of your Bach Rescue Remedy to try (if you were stressed)?

Victoria

Cort,

try sitting on a firm (but comfortable) straight backed chair that really gives your spine good support if you have sciatic pain. I had severe sciatic pain for 3 years before I finally begged for back surgery.

I can no longer sit on the floor or cross-legged, but my dining chair (which others have also commented on) is extremely comfortable & I don't slouch or sink into it. If you slouch or sink into a lounge chair, you're more likely to fall asleep.

I have found sitting on this chair helpful, whereas many years ago when I did yoga, I sat on the floor cross-legged for our final meditation (which never suited me anyway - my back hurt).

Sometimes the harder we try to meditate or relax, the harder it is. It's very easy to say this & quite hard to do it - but once you;ve perfected the technique of relaxing or letting go, you will wonder why you couldn't do it before.

I had help in a particular CD called Journey to the Temple by Lleyellyn (ideal for meditation). Lleyellyn also composed something called Reiki and Crystals (neither of which I've heard).

"This album is the result of my study and research into the use of sounds and music to create inner balance and healing. We are all individually influenced by sound and certain tones can and do affect our chakras................."

The first time I listened to this CD, I was listening intently trying to work out what musical instruments I could hear on the CD. Next minute (so it seemed), the 45 minute cd had finished and I felt completely relaxed & calmed. Some how, I seem to have lost 45 minutes in time. If you can't get to a meditation group or find a teacher, sometimes a little help using a CD or some sort of lit candle or something to focus your attention on, helps.

I'm not a master of meditation - I wish I had the energy after work to go to a class. I'd like to take some lessons from a real Master. And weekends seem to disappear also. If I still had a car, I'd probably head down to the Tara Institute (about 30 minutes drive away) - but not accessible for me by public transport & far to expensive to go there & back by taxi. Even if I did go somewhere like that, I would have to sit on a chair, while the rest of the class sat cross-legged on the floor.

Victoria :) (or "V" :D)

klutzo

Jody and Brenda

Jody,
Could you please tell us how Dr. Mercola helped you get well? I have been getting his newsletter for years. The one thing he helped me with was getting away from fish oil, which made my lipids and reflux worse, and onto Neptune Krill oil instead, which worked wonders. I can use all he help I can get, and anyone who has improved has my attention.....the floor is yours....

= = = = = = = = = = = == = = =

Brenda,
I think you will find the info you're looking for on fibromyalgia and automatic shamanship in Dr. Devin Starlanyl's first book on Firbomyalgia. I believe the tribe she speaks of in the book is located in Maine.
IMO, the increase in psychic abilities that comes with fibro is due to the connection between a hypervigilant sympathetic nervous system and how it raises the ability to perceive that which others miss. In our modern society, this results in massive overstimulation, often resulting in a hermit-like existance.

klutzo (one of those hermits) ;)

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi Sushi--

I am glad you brought this up. I certainly fit into the category of being psychically sensitive. It has been there since I was a kid, and I've often fought against it. At this point I am much better at accepting it and using it! Why didn't I think of that sooner.