• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BIG NEWS: NIH Director to open XMRV conference!!!

Rrrr

exciting new development! NIH director Francis Collins is now opening the 1st int'l XMRV conference (1 pm Tues). needless to say, this means the NIH is now taking xmrv/MLV seriously. (why? my guess: they have found it in significant numbers in the blood supply.) with 1-4 million americans with CFS (17 million worldwide), hopefully big funding for clinical trials will follow. here is the link to the conference & updated conf program:

http://www.virology-education.com/index.cfm/t/Program/vid/1FFCB7B8-FB88-C1D2-92C420E3BCEB0FB0

i'm totally excited. this is the first time in the HISTORY of cfs that we have been taken seriously by our gov't. by the highest levels of our gov't.

rrrr

leaves

!!!!! So exciting!!!
Thanks so much for being on top of this Rrrrrr! You rock!

Recovery Soon

exciting new development! NIH director Francis Collins is now opening the 1st int'l XMRV conference (1 pm Tues). needless to say, this means the NIH is now taking xmrv/MLV seriously. (why? my guess: they have found it in significant numbers in the blood supply.) with 1-4 million americans with CFS (17 million worldwide), hopefully big funding for clinical trials will follow. here is the link to the conference & updated conf program:

http://www.virology-education.com/index.cfm/t/Program/vid/1FFCB7B8-FB88-C1D2-92C420E3BCEB0FB0

rrrr

Wow!.......

ballard

Big news indeed!!!
I think your guess about why Collins is opening the conference is spot on.
Can't wait!!!

Sunshine

rrrr

Thank you for posting this Rrrr.

Out of interest, was the NIH doing a study of XMRV in the blood supply and are yet to show their results?

NIH. How do we pronounce that? Like this? :Retro tongue:

[video=youtube;7D4Ud8-jric]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D4Ud8-jric[/video]

Rrrr

this is freaking HUGE news, in my opinion. and yes, nih/fda are doing a big study on the US blood supply. not sure if the have results ready to share or not.

OverTheHills

Whooppeeeee!!!!

This is great news. Speculating (I'm not american) It may mean not only are they taking it seriously, they want to be seen to be taking it seriously, ie it is and will be a big thing, and they think they need to show leadership. Hopefully this means $$$$ in future.

OTH

Rrrr

Whooppeeeee!!!!

This is great news. Speculating (I'm not american) It may mean not only are they taking it seriously, they want to be seen to be taking it seriously, ie it is and will be a big thing, and they think they need to show leadership. Hopefully this means $$$$ in future.

OTH

exactly! they need to be seen as taking this seriously. why? IT IS IN THE BLOOD SUPPLY. they don't care about a few million folks with CFS. they care about how they will be perceived re: the nations blood supply.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
Thank you for posting this Rrrr. Out of interest, was the NIH doing a study of XMRV in the blood supply and are yet to show their results?

As a reminder, look at the transcript of the teleconference on 8/23 (I am pretty sure that "Dr. Indecipherable" was Larry Alter, but haven't listened through to confirm)

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=432527206796

Dr McClusky: "Question regarding the blood safety. As you know there is no demonstration yet of the transfusion association of this virus and also not with disease yet. However that does not mean that we are not doing anything. FDA regulations require that donors be in good health at the time of donation. In addition the AABB, the umbrella group which is the blood establishment group has put up a statement, a recommendation which is self-deferral by history of CFS, which is "consistent with FDA requirements that donors should be in good health". So in other words blood safety is (maintained?)."
Dr (indecipherable): "We have in process a study of about 1000 donors looking for virus and AB. Those data will be available very soon. And we also have frozen samples that were prospectively collected from blood recipients before and after their transfusion and we have linked donors to those cases so we will be looking at those samples to see if we demonstrate any transmission or linkage from donor to recipient."

Now, what was finally published on 8/23/2010 was a little study that was completed in MAY or sooner, originally due to be published in June, and then the kerfuffle which we all know so well - and a time delay that Alter, Lo et.al. wisely used to lay any suspicion of contamination to rest. Notwithstanding this additional work being done on the PNAS paper, this other large scale work on the blood supply, I imagine, has been continuing all this time.

They *may* have something to tell us next week. Which would be awfully exciting. Even if those particular results aren't released yet, though, this is more and more indication that this subject is being taken VERY SERIOUSLY at the highest levels.

Can.Not.Wait. for next Tuesday and Wednesday!!!

p.s. we pronounce it "En Eye Aitch," sorry Python fans :sofa:

Rrrr

download the pdf of the final conference program. it's a little low-key. the file info of the pdf shows it was created 9/1/10.

i think collins was JUST added on saturday, today. because i thought i looked at the program on friday and he was not there. i looked at it today, and saw that, what you called low-key addition, and thought, collins? f collins. holy crap, that is the HEAD of the NIH.

i'm totally excited. this is the first time in the HISTORY of cfs that we have been taken seriously by our gov't. by the highest levels of our gov't (as someone wrote).

Recovery Soon

my guess: they have found it in significant numbers in the blood supply.

If so, not a big deal. Solution? Nationwide CBT.

All together now...

"We are Healthy and Happy...We are Healthy and Happy....We are Healthy and Happy..."