• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best strategy with both low b12 and low folate RBC?

jason30

Hi all,

I wonder what is wise to do, because I don't want to make things worse.
Starting with folate and b12 together or first b12 and then folate, or the other way around? Does someone have experience with this?

Recently I have received the Folate RBC blood test, and this shows a deficiency.
All results:
  • MMA: 0,32 (320 nmol/L)
  • B12 serum: 186 pmol/l
  • Active B12: 39 (lab range: 45 - 140)
  • Folic acid RBC: 462 nmol/L = 203.28 ng/mL = too low (< 523 ng/mL)
  • Folic acid in serum: 18.2 nmol/L (good)

Moof

I think that they're interdependent, so probably best to take together? I have B12 malabsorption and need injections every few weeks, and I take methylfolate at least once a week. My levels have now normalised, though, so it's just maintenance; when I started, I injected B12 and took folate every second day until I stopped seeing improvements in the deficiency symptoms.

Edited to add: I've never had a negative reaction to either; some people are very sensitive to supplements, though, so in that situation it's just a case of seeing what you can tolerate.