• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Benfotiamine - a double edged sword due to sulfur sensitivity

dannybex

@dannybex, do you know if magnesium sulphate provides the sulphate that someone would need if they can't handle sulfur?
Yes, that's true. That may be a partial option to increase sulfate, but that still wouldn't address a sulfur, sulfite problem. It might help increase sulfate levels though, which is good.

Still, molybdenum is an absolutely essential trace element that is part of four different enzymes. Sulfite oxidase, that degrades sulfur into sulfite and then sulfate, plus xanthine oxidase, which is required for purine breakdown and the metabolism of drugs and toxins, aldehyde oxidase -- also involved w/drug/toxin metabolism, and which also helps turn aldehydes from candida, alcohol, and many chemicals (think MCS) into acetic acid.

It's possible to get it from foods, so perhaps that's another option.

Violeta

Thanks, Danny, I will look up good food sources. I ended up with molybdenum in my thyroid after a c-scan for a heart issue, so now I'm worried about taking a supplement. What a catch 22.

Gondwanaland

But what do you do when you're sensitive to the molybdenum too? I am and I've seen others say that as well in one of the thiamine/mitochondria FB groups.
Do you know your copper status? My husband has been doing very well with B1 + Cu.

Thanks, Danny, I will look up good food sources. I ended up with molybdenum in my thyroid after a c-scan for a heart issue, so now I'm worried about taking a supplement. What a catch 22.
Hi, Violeta! That's a tough situation! The most reliable food source for Molybdenum in my opinion are chickpeas.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Do you know your copper status? My husband has been doing very well with B1 + Cu.
No, but many of the foods on my limited diet are listed as being high in Copper so I wouldn't think I'm deficient. ??

Maybe I'm just too sensitive for supplements right now. I do eat chickpeas (and other legumes) but maybe I can try to eat more of them. ???

Gondwanaland

No, but many of the foods on my limited diet are listed as being high in Copper so I wouldn't think I'm deficient. ??

Maybe I'm just too sensitive for supplements right now. I do eat chickpeas (and other legumes) but maybe I can try to eat more of them. ???
Even though I always ate high copper foods, at some point my levels were very low (probably absorption issues) and I had to supplement for a couple of months. Only then I was able to keep my levels up with my diet. Trial and error with copper isn't a good approach...