• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Benefits of eating pig skin

gumman123

So I am eating pig skin atm. $6 per kg from Coles Australia but butchers, and probably wool worths sell it too. Can be baked in the oven or cooked in water till it goes soft. I do the latter.

Pig skin is high in-
Collagen
Glycosaminoglycans like dermatan, keratan, chondroitin, heparan sulfate, and hyaluronic acid.
+ whatever other nutrients are naturally in our skin.
It goes all soft, and goeey when cooked in water, and tastes nice.
Would recommend it.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Diwi9
I used to love it that way too, but can't find fresh tortillas anyplace anymore, and too weary to make my own. But maybe soon. The lure of that first warm, crunchy bite is just overwhelming.

Damn. Now I can't stop thinking about it. WIth some warm frijoles de olla and a little cold crunchy lemon drenched jicama on the side as a sort of salad and palate-cleanser. Damn damn damn ..... :bang-head: :bang-head: :bang-head:

gumman123

So it looks like there is about 12g collagen per 100g wet pig skin / pork cracklings. Pig skin is 70% moisture, 30% of the dry weight is fat, and the collagen content of dry fat free skin is 60% =around 12g per 100g. In the dry pig skin treats, assuming it is only the skin, and not skin+muscle, which is what pork belly looks like then the collagen content would be a lot higher because they get the moisture content down to 2%. There is a lot of ceramide, and sphingolipids in pig skin too- 40% of the lipid content is ceramide so that is 3.6g ceramide per 100g wet weight. 10g of ceramide on ebay is 55 AUD / 5.50 a gram so a lot cheaper to get from pig skin. Genetic diseases of ceramide/sphingolipids may be treatable by eating pig skin each day or milk fat/lambs brain are high in those things too.