• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Be Safe

Just wanted to post a experience I had at the beach. I have had CFS for about 30 years. I thought I knew my limits and knew my body. After 30 years you would hope so. But....... I missed judged my energy levels. I went to have a dip in the pacific. Small but powerful waves that day.......hard time getting out past the swells , lost any energy I had . Barely made it to shore without shouting for the lifeguard. Luckily my sister was with me and able to talk me to stay calm and semi float to shore.
Lesson learned, hard lesson, but knowing your energy levels can be deceiving.

taniaaust1

I had a very bad beach experience due to ME/CFS ages ago and almost drowned due to it. It was the very last time I went to surf. I got tired and could not back to shore before I lost all my energy, I ended up collapsing in the shallows and almost did not make it there. I ended up swallowing a lot of water and at one point thought I was going to drown. No more surfing for me alone even if I could get there.

I had a very bad beach experience due to ME/CFS ages ago and almost drowned due to it. It was the very last time I went to surf. I got tired and could not back to shore before I lost all my energy, I ended up collapsing in the shallows and almost did not make it there. I ended up swallowing a lot of water and at one point thought I was going to drown. No more surfing for me alone even if I could get there.
Exactly what happened to me, Scarry.

Likaloha

it makes one wonder how many people have drowned due to ME/CFS.
Scary to think about....I got overwhelmed in the ocean trying to help my stepmother who was overdoing it and doesn't understand her limits or my (dis)abilities. The situation could have ended much worse, so thanks for the post!

Likaloha

So scary! Glad you were ok!