• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Be careful searching for "tests"

oerganix

I have a "google alert" set up for XMRV. One of the alerts I received looked like this:

Google Web Alert for: XMRV

XMRV virus test for chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) now available
Following the breakthrough discovery of the XMRV retrovirus in a highly significant number of chronic fatigue syndrome patients a US lab is now making a ...

When I clicked it, I got a warning from my antivirus software that this site may have malware that could harm my computer.

This is the site that gave me the malware warning:

http://www. ei-resource. org/news/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-news/xmrv-virus-test-for-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-now-available/

(I have disjointed it so it won't be clickable)

K

Katie

Nice catch, I wonder if my Firefox WOT would have caught it? I might check and then give it a negative rating so others are protected.

Again, thanks, so nice to have so many pairs of eyes looking out for each other.

Edit: I got the same malware warning and I've down rated it.

K

_Kim_

Interesting. I have an XMRV google alert set up too, yet I didn't receive notification for that website.

Thanks for the heads-up, oerganix.

oerganix

google alerts

Could it be how you have set up your google alert? Mine is set to "comprehensive".

My alerts have 3 different headings:

Google News Alert
Google Blogs Alert
Google Web Alert

The alert re: the possibly bogus site/malware site was reported under the last, the Web Alert

oerganix

only XMRV

I only have "XMRV" in my alert, too, so I guess it's another cyberspace mystery. I should think that anything with those letters, be it test or retrovirus, etc., would/should show up.