have you checked that it's not the laundry powder/detergent which you wash your towels with?
I have been having a soak in a hot bath every morning for some 10 years & I figure what I can't do in vigorous washing (bending in a shower) is soaked
away lying in the bath.
But after my lumbar back surgery in mid 2008, I had to have a shower for about 6 weeks (so as not to get the wound bandage or stitches wet). It was murder on my morning stiffness/pain levels (even though I had put soap, shampoo etc in a basket high up prior to the surgery so I didn't have to bend).
The only thing wrong with having a bath is that a few times, I have had trouble getting out. One morning I thought I would not be able to get out, get dressed & go to work. Quite funny at the time. I wondered when my work colleagues would miss me. Obviously, eventually, I was able to push myself up & get out, but it was a bit scary at the time (as I live on my own).
I can't bend to dry my feet, so have to haul each foot up to place it on the bath rim to dry them. For the first time in many years, I stayed with friends for 3 days in January & to my dismay they only had a big spa bath with shower over the top. I couldn't have a bath or raise my foot up to dry it. The spa bath was just that bit too high - we take our home creature comforts for granted sometimes.
Even the pillow on the guest bed was too high & I ended up with a stiff neck each morning. Sore throat, eyes & loss of voice also followed because a previous guest had burnt some incense in the room. And although my friends are vegetarian & won't use harsh chemicals, the environmentally friendly washing powder used to wash the guest sheets was a problem for my MCS. Even environmentally cleaning products can affect individuals.
So, all in all, I will continue to stay home in future. Sad, isn't it. My friends have a beautiful country 2nd home & despite the wonderful, invigorating country air, inside their house, is not a friendly environment for me.
I kept quiet about these problems, although my loss of voice for the first hour or so for the two mornings I stayed with them was obvious. They had some bad mould in the bathroom (which they couldn't remove with their environmentally friendly cleaners) which was the reason I stated for my loss of voice - I am allergic to mould (spelt mold
in the US, I believe).
Like others, I find showers tiring especially hairwashing.
But I also have a very specific wierd symptom which is like a really bad attack of hayfever after showering - sneezing, runny nose and sore eyes. In my case its not allergy to mould or products (it happens when I don't use any shampoo or soap, and in the sparkliest of mould-free showers) but it occurs to me you might be having an allergy to something which would worsen your symptoms. Worth checking out perhaps.
And if anyone has a theory on why my post-shower hayfever happens I'd be happy to hear it.