• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Basil for XMRV

leaves

Hey all,

SO I am popping them OLE pills but I would like to do something more for combating my retrovirus. Hence I started to do some research.

Apparently chicoric acid is a natural integrase inhibitor, and Dr Luckett ponders that it may work for xmrv (see http://cfidsresearch.blogspot.com/2009/11/chicoric-acid-natural-integrase.html).
This is commonly found in Echinacea . The problem with this little herb is that it has other substances that may in fact modulate the immune system in an adverse way (thats why it is not recommended for HIV patients)

However, there is hope :)
I found two studies that find that chicoric acid is present in Basil:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?SEQ_NO_115=240899

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=d3f8e1a7f828a1b3af7e262e6f5c301b

May work, may not work, but I sure like my pesto :)

May I suggest:

Blend 1/2 cup of olive oil, 2 pieces of garlic, 6 olives, tablespoon pine nuts, basil.
Should stay fresh in the fridge for a couple of days.
Add dried tomatoes, lemon juice or avocado if that's your thing.
Serving suggestion:
Nice on toast, and for the grain free; roll it in a cabbage leaf for a 'pesto sandwich' or do it in the chicken salad.

Back to the kitchen...

Leaves

CJB

Woohoo!!! The healing power of pesto! :victory:

Thanks for the info.

T

thefreeprisoner

Hey pesto!
This is great... I need an excuse to eat more of it...

ukxmrv

Thanks Leaves,

I do already eat Basil but I've not noticed any good effects on my health - I'll watch out though.

With regards to the Pesto, I react very badly to garlic and all the sulpur veges so I'll have to pass.

Will keep on with the basil and see how I go.

XMRV+

leaves

Hey ukxmrv,

I'm sure its nice without the garlic too :) can you do sundried tomatoes?
I dont expect fast improvements in health; as xmrv is a slow replicating virus and chicoric acid is active in the integrase phase only, it will take a long time before viral load is reduced I guess.

ukxmrv

Thanks leaves,

No, sadly tomatoes are a no-no for me as well.

I love basil leaves on top of salads and pasta and will keep eat them there. Hopefully some little things will all add up for me.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
"Never, ever underestimate the power of Basil!"

my memory is fading but wasn't the above a line from "The woman in red?"

G

George

Dang, now I know why I like 'scetti. It's the garlic and basil bread!

The things ya learn on here. We are all gonna have PHd's by this time next year. (grins)

joyscobby

mmm yum yum pesto and good for you. Add to that olives ( olive leaf) garlic & onions (we all know good antibacterials) All I need is a study on Avacado then you have some of my favourite ingredients. Makes me want to move to the maditerinan to eat and be in the warm.

Hysterical Woman

mmm yum yum pesto and good for you. Add to that olives ( olive leaf) garlic & onions (we all know good antibacterials) All I need is a study on Avacado then you have some of my favourite ingredients. Makes me want to move to the maditerinan to eat and be in the warm.

Me too Joy!