• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Back on the diet

Frickly

:(Well....I'm back on my weight watchers diet today as I am starting to gain weight again. For some reason my brain keeps telling me that a little food will make the pain go away.

Before this thing hit me hard I would exercise, because I enjoyed it but also so I could eat what I wanted. I love food and I love to cook. Bummer that this thing has taken away the two things that I enjoyed most.

Jody

Frickly,

Stinks, doesn't it.

Just have to learn to love that Weight Watcher's stuff. :D

Frickly

Day two

I some how managed to make a weight watchers, gluten free and casein free dinner tonight. Jeez....my family is high maintenance.

Jody

LOL Frickly,

I have felt your pain.:D

At one time I had 6 kids at home -- 5 of mine and my daughter-in-law, and I basically was preparing 3 meals that sort of overlapped at dinnertime.

Daughter-in-law Carmel and I were on low carb, my kids were noodles and Kraft dinner freaks and my husband would have some of both meals.

We are now(finally!:)) down to 2 kids at home, and my daughter is out most of the time or makes her own yucky noodles. So it's me and Al my husband, and our son Jesse. Jess has a few idiosyncrasies (all of a sudden I do NOT know how to spell that word?) ok, he has a lot of them ... but mealtimes are much simpler than they used to be.

The kitchen routinely looked like a bomb went off after Carmel and I made dinner.

I don't miss it. :D

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
There ought to be a law that says if you're unhealthy you can eat like a pig; we need our comfort food! Instead its like - "Oh feeling down? Well take this - no more goodies either!" The universe is tough!

Think how much you'll enjoy it all when you're healthy again (hopefully).

Jody

I really felt that way when I was pregnant with my first child, and got toxemia late in pregnancy. I had problems with edema, Al said I looked like I was wearing galoshes (I was bare-legged and barefoot in a summer dress -- or a tent more like -- at the time.:D)

I dealt with being in poor health by eating ice cream at every opportunity. :) There was a Dicky Dee kid who would go around the neighbourhood (Dicky Dee is a little cart that travels the streets selling icecream on a stick, etc.) and he would go by my house, and then when I was at work a few blocks away he would go by there so I would hit him twice. :D

I'm sure it did me no good at all and probably made things worse but I was pissed off and pig-headed and determined that my one comfort was NOT going to be taken away. :)

On a better note, I have found as I get healthier that I can better handle some of the foods that used to make my body and brain sing with symptoms. Like pizza.:rolleyes:

Jody

So Frickly,

Time for an update about how the diet is going.

Last thing we talked about on here was ... pizza.:)

Victoria

Frickly (& Jody & Cort),

it might please you all to know that while I'm one of the biggest advocates of healthy, organic, free-range food, low sugar, low carb, high protein, freshhhhhhh is best food, I was feeling a little tired & crazy on the way home from work last night & stopped at the corner shop to buy junk food.

I finished the "All Natural" bag of lollies/sweets (which have no artificial colourings or flavourings) but are high in sugar AND a medium size bag of plain potato chips (crisps) soon after arriving home. It took me about 15 minutes to eat both bags.

And I cannot tell you how ill I felt (while I was cooking dinner).

My limbs felt like concrete & my heart was racing so fast I couldn't feel my pulse!

Sick or not, I DID ENJOY THAT JUNK FOOD, every last morsel.

Victoria

PS None of us are perfect........

Jody

OH yeah. :D

Victoria, I have favourite pieces of trash that make me feel sick but I love them anyway.

I can usually turn aside from stuff that I know is bad for me, especially the things where the nausea or whatever is immediate.

But I have a nemesis or three. Pizza (aforementioned), Pepsi, and Oh Henry chocolate bars. Oh, and strawberry Twirls (licorice -- and of course no actual strawberry in them).

Just can't seem to ignore the siren's call with these ... :D

Oh, and I make a mean spaghetti sauce that can twist my arm. The sauce itself is healthy -- diced tomatoes, ground beef, onions, garlic, mushrooms, olive oil, butter, crushed chili pepper, and basil. It's the pasta and the canned Parmesan that will take me down. And yet when I make it for the family, I usually dive in myself and worry about it later ...

Frickly

Jody, Victoria,

Ohhhhh....Victoria, You are still sooooo good. I refuse to list what I have eaten. I have just had a lot of problems getting through this summer. I have had lots of depression. I feel very guilty that I have not kept my kids busy and have not been able to go to the gym. I have been struggling to get out of this depression but I think I am getting there. I think when the kids are back in school I will be able to go to the gym again. I will start very slowly but am excited that this is even an option now.

I had a good time at the wedding. We had an awesome dinner and stayed at the Hyatt in Dallas. Very nice. I stayed up untill 2am and it took me two days to recover.

I havn't given up on the diet. I will be back on board in a couple of days.

Thanks for asking,

Jody

Frickly,

Glad to hear the wedding was fun. That's alot of work to go to for something that turns out to be a drag. :)

Seems to me, do I vaguely recall, wasn't there something about a sleeveless dress? or not a sleeveless dress?

Just can't trust this cfs brain ... :)

Frickly

Jody

Allright! I didn't wear a sleeveless dress.:D But I did find a dress that cost too much but looked really good.:D Who cares if a dress has sleeves or not anyway?:rolleyes:

Jody

Frickly,

Cost too much and looked pretty good? Sounds like you found the perfect dress.

And sleeves ... well, sleeves are the perfect accent for any ensemble. :D

Jody

Last edited by Frickly: Today at 11:44 PM. Reason: Can't spell or constuct a sentence in a meaningful way

I love this. :D

Oh, and Frickly?

You spelled "construct" wrong. :rolleyes:

Lisa

mmmm, PIZZA!!! :D Anything with cheese is my nemesis, but Pizza... it's the worst. lol One really good, somewhat upscale pizza place is the ONLY take out place that will deliver to our location. Oh, why couldn't it be really lousy pizza??? lol

We try to only order it only once every few months - special occasions such as birthdays and holidays we celebrate. Now that we found this pizza joint that delivers it has become about once a month. hehehe

I am working on not ordering more pizza until our birthdays in October but it is such a long ways away.... lol

Lisa :)

Jody

Lisa,

I could eat pizza every day and not get tired of it. And have the leftovers re-heated for breakfast.:rolleyes:

My daughter Rachel moved out a month ago and is very happy. We are happy for her. But she used to order a pizza every few weeks when she'd get home from work of an evening, and would pass pieces around to the rest of us.

**sigh** Boy, I really miss that girl right now ...:D

Jody

LOL

Just looked at the first couple of posts on this thread, and remembered it started out with Frickly talking about being GOOD with her new diet. :D

My, my, my. How we have all slid down the slippery slope.

See what pizza can do?:eek:

Insidious.:rolleyes: