• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B6 half life

DogLover

Im having trouble taking b6 because I find it stimulating and would like to know how to rule out placebo effects.

Should I feel stimulation shortly (hour) after taking it?
Will b6 build up in my system over days increasing effects?
What is the half life of b6?

Last edited:

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
I got bad effects from b6, immediatly.
The brain occasionally reproduces one impact over months (a stripe on the side of one foot hurts for a while now).

I have read though that some of us do get good effects from b6.
I was taking (in 2017) a combo of b-vitamines, this was a slightly good effect.
Now I figured ou that vit b1,2 and biotin are good for me, so far after protein meals.

With the protein meal it´s a bit a riddle, but the vit´s should serve the tca cycle.​
Bc I´ve a manganese problem, it could easily be that the manganese from digesting the proteins in the liver (arginase) will reach also my microglia in the brain, and then the vit´s did help to counter (and even more, whatever is going on) the effect from microglia.​

Many regards

Last edited:

DogLover

So, if I take B6 in the morning and can't sleep later that night, the two are most likely not related?

Mary

Moderator Resource
So, if I take B6 in the morning and can't sleep later that night, the two are most likely not related?
They very well could be related. B6 can be stimulating. I can't take B6 at night because it causes insomnia for me, but I do okay taking it during the day. I take 50 mg with breakfast and 50 mg with lunch.

How much are you taking? You might need to cut your dose.

I don't know if it builds up in your system - that hasn't been an issue for me.

DogLover

How much are you taking? You might need to cut your dose

I started out with 10mg around 1pm for 2 days and had trouble sleeping those two nights. I stopped and slept fine on the 3rd night.

However my sleep has been troublesome on unrelated nights. I'm guessing the only thing to do is repeat experiments.

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
I started out with 10mg around 1pm for 2 days and had trouble sleeping those two nights. I stopped and slept fine on the 3rd night.
Okay - if you think you need the B6, then you might try cutting it in half and taking it in the morning and see how you do. It's funny, a lot of sleep preparations have B6 in them because it helps a certain portion of the population with sleep! But does the opposite for many of us.

DogLover

I was also considering sneaking up on things with 1mg doses for a few days, 2, then 3, etc. And tapering up over a few weeks.

If you've got time, is zinc known to be stimulating at low doses? The other variable.

Carl

Vitamin B6 pyridoxine form can be a real gamble because it needs to be converted to the active form pyridoxal-5-phosphate before it can be used. Pyridoxine can cause problems with nerves whereas P5P has not been shown to cause the same problems. The conversion could take varying degrees of time and resources depending upon the required nutrient availability. Vitamin B2 is needed for that conversion to take place and B2 is a very important nutrient in CFS illnesses.

B6 (P5P) is needed to produce histamine which tends to be produced in large amounts because of the Increased Digestive Permeability induced immune system reactions. Histamine can affect sleep but I would not say that P5P is the inherent fault and I don't think that avoiding it would be helping your body because it is also needed for neurotransmitter production and homocysteine lowering. Lowering histamine might be helpful while taking some P5P. Addressing adverse cytokine production would also be helpful, Cordyceps can be helpful for that, along with a few other herbs.

Carl

If you treat your cytokines then you should also help control histamine as well as help immune system dysfunction and also mitochondrial ATP production because cytokines are involved in all of these processes. Search for my recent posts to find where I mentioned the things which can help control cytokines. Searching my posts for cordyceps should find a few such mentions but look at each to find the most complete.

pamojja

What is the half life of b6?

That's what I found in a German textbook on vitamins, translated with google, and references after each sentence omitted:

The terminal half-life of the β phase is 2.4 +/- 0.3 for the oral dose of 50 mg and 4.4 +/- 0.5 hours, respectively, for 424 mg. It is not affected in old age. The biological half-life of pyridoxal phosphate is given as 25 days. If one compares this half-life with the storage capacity for vitamin B6 of 14 to 42 days, it is noticeable that the 2 to 3-fold half-life very well reflects the retention capacity. After long-term exposure, a new steady state is relatively fast at an elevated level.

DogLover

That's what I found in a German textbook on vitamins, translated with google, and references after each sentence omitted:

Not sure what this means. So, b6 does build up in your system over days? Meaning it all adds up and if I start taking it and it gives me anxiety, it could take a few days to notice and go back down?

DogLover

If you treat your cytokines then you should also help control histamine as well as help immune system dysfunction and also mitochondrial ATP production because cytokines are involved in all of these processes. Search for my recent posts to find where I mentioned the things which can help control cytokines. Searching my posts for cordyceps should find a few such mentions but look at each to find the most complete.

So, control histamine and I can lower my reaction to b6?

Primary:
Cordyceps - This has sedative properties so taking it shortly before bed might be a good idea. Large amounts are required to maximize the effect, far above the recommended dosages. 6000mg is a small dose and upto 50 grams for acute conditions. Powdered is better than useless/expensive capsules. There are extracts of this but I do not know how the quantities would translate.
Chinese Skullcap (Scutellaria Baicalensis) - I do not use this because it makes my skin very dry whenever I have used it. I do have a tendency towards skin autoimmunity which does tend to promote this effect. I will use it briefly to help destroy bacteria.
NAC
Vitamin E - be sure to get the most natural tocopherols alpha tocopherol or d-alpha tocopherols, mixed natural tocopherols, gamma tocopherols, tocotrienols.

Secondary:
Bidens (Bidens Pilosa) - I did read something about this which means that I would not want to use it. Something about a very loose association with Oesophageal/Esophageal cancer.
Chinese Senega Root (Polygala Tenuifolia) - increases NGF production
Green Tea EGCG (EpiGalloCatechin-3-Galate) - bio-availability increased when taken with Quercetin (1200mg/day), 200mg Ascorbic Acid or 1000mg Omega-3 fatty acids. EGCG is also more effective when combined with Resveratrol (knotweed), Vitamin E and/or N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC). 100mg EGCG in a cup of tea.
Kudzu Root (Pueraria Lobata)
Luteolin - 100mg/day

I have only tried Chinese Skullcap, Cordyceps, Vitamin E/Tocotrienols, EGCG, NAC, Vit C. I do want to try Chinese Senaga Root for it's NGF promotion.

Last edited: