• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12

How can I reduce my need for b12? I need to take atleast 4mg of methyl b12 injections daily for my symptoms to go away to be honest I think I need more but it's expensive. Would lithium help reduce the need for so much b12?

Hip

You might like to look into the B12 oils, which provide a systemic dose of around 2000 mcg of methylcobalamin from one pump dose, with each such dose costing around $1.

You might like to look into the B12 oils, which provide a systemic dose of around 2000 mcg of methylcobalamin from one pump dose, with each such dose costing around $1.
That would end up costing me more due to delivery costs and might need more of the oil due to absorption not being 100%?

Hip

That would end up costing me more due to delivery costs and might need more of the oil due to absorption not being 100%?

How much are you paying for each methylcobalamin injection?

The cost of one bottle of the B12 oil is $50 (or $40 if you buy 3), and this contains 60 doses of 2.5 mg per dose. Dr Greg Russell-Jones estimates that 80% of the oil is absorbed into the bloodstream, so each dose is equivalent to a 2 mg injection.

Shipping is around $25. So that works out at about $1 for 2.5 mg, if you buy 3 bottles.

You might like to examine the cofactors (like B2) that Greg recommends to recycle your B12, as that might reduce your requirements.

Husband of

How can I reduce my need for b12? I need to take atleast 4mg of methyl b12 injections daily for my symptoms to go away to be honest I think I need more but it's expensive. Would lithium help reduce the need for so much b12?
Sorry can I ask, are you saying your symptoms completely go away? How severe are your symptoms?

Busson

Four mg injected methyl-B12 daily is a huge amount. Perhaps there are some absorption problems which make such a dose necessary.

Methyl-B12 is only one of several co-factors required by various reactions along the methylation pathway and it may be that the depletion of other co-factors are the limiting ones in your case. These others are vitamin B-2 (try 25 or 50mg daily), zinc (try 30 to 50mg daily, no more) and perhaps B-6 (try 25 to 50mg daily).

Of course folate is important too and discussed frequently on this board. (Start with 500 to 1000 mcg methyl folate daily). Note that methyl-B12 and folate is the only instance in the body of two vitamins interacting closely.

A useful alternative pathway (not requiring B-12) becomes activated by taking betaine (a few grams a day) and perhaps zinc too. It is not designed to be a main pathway and anyway is not found in the CNS but it may be useful to you.

You might find it interesting to check out Dr James Neubrander's advice on methyl-B12 for the children (with autism) he sees in his clinic. He has some unusual things to say about the concentration of injected methyl-B12 which I haven't seen elsewhere.

In his paper "Methyl-B12; Myth, Masterpiece, or Miracle", Neubrander writes a section under "Myth: The Concentration Of The Methyl-B12 Solution Does Not Matter As Long As The Total Dose Remains The Same And That The Volume To Deliver The Equivalent Dose Is Adjusted." There is much more from him in this paper and others at https://www.drneubrander.com/studies.php .

Last edited: