• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 Protocol + Lithium Questions / Problem

How long to stabalise Lithium levels?

• 1 week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 weeks

• 3 weeks

• 4 weeks

• 2 months

• 6 months

• 1 year

• Total voters
I have been doing the Freddd b12 protocol for about 1 week (but 6 weeks of mb12 + mfolate & cofactors. No ab12) and having some great improvement, after reading some info by Amy Yasko (https://www.feelgoodnutrigenomics.com/chapter-13/) about adding in lithium when doing b12 I had my levels checked and they were the lowest possible reading.

I took 5mg of lithium ortonate, and it was amazing (best I have felt in 1 year) until I woke up at 4am with a lot of my symptoms returning with vengeance. I took some potassium and niacin the morning which seemed to help.

I assume the lithium was super charging the b12 uptake and put me in an over methylated state?

What I would like to know, is Amy says you should address lithium before taking b12, but as I have been taking already for 7 weeks, and having good results what should I do?

Also if I back off and move just to lithium to get those levels stabilised first, how long does that usually take?

Thanks

Moof

In case anyone struggles with this protocol, you can sort out a B12 deficiency without supplementing lithium orotate. It can cause very severe RLS and allodynia in some people; I assume it only affects a minority of us, but it was the worst pain I've ever known.

However, my B12 injections still stopped the dementia symptoms in their tracks, and much of the peripheral neuralgia and tinnitus disappeared after a few weeks. All of the additional fatigue, mouth ulcers, hair loss, and odd-coloured skin also cleared up. It was like getting new batteries – not a big enough power supply to return to normal life, of course, but I was grateful for the boost anyway!

@Moof Thanks :) I did get a Lithium blood test done and it was under the lowest reading, it did make me feel amazing. So glad to hear the injections are working for you, did you take hydroxy or cyano?

Moof

That's great that it made you feel so good. I've no idea what my lithium levels are, the orotate was just bought for me by a well-meaning friend. I don't normally have violent reactions to supplements, so it took me by surprise! Usually, only clinical doses of lithium taken for mental health conditions cause such severe pain, but I found some folk online who reported trying low doses as a food supplement and experiencing RLS as a result.

I take hydroxocobalamin, as it can be converted easily by the body into whichever form it needs – it's the most commonly used type here in Europe. It seems to suit me, and it sorted out my deficiency after oral supplements failed, so I haven't tried anything else. Hopefully you'll continue to benefit from both the lithium and the B12! #fingerscrossed