• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 injections are the bee's knees... wish I would have tried them 15 years ago

Notes on lysosomal storage disorders and B12, mostly for myself...

Lysosomes are the cell's recycling crew. Large molecules enter lysosomes, and are disassembled by lysosomal enzymes. People with lysosomal storage disorders (LDs) are missing one of these enzymes, so the large molecules enter, but can't be fragmented or ejected. The molecules therefore accumulate in the lysosomes causing dysfunction or death, usually in childhood or young adulthood. There are over 50 types of LDs currently known. Enzyme replacement and gene therapies are being developed, but they have variable efficacy, are difficult to administer, and are very expensive ($800K/yr). In future, as gene sequencing becomes commonplace, the occurrence of LDs may decrease in the population; more people will discover their LD carrier status, and choose preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) to avoid implanting embryos with LDs.

Around 2-3% of the overall population are carriers of an LD, and therefore have half the normal amount of an enzyme used in lysosomal processing. Normally this isn't a problem, but hints are now emerging that LD carriers may have some health effects from their enzyme deficit. For example, in at least one LD (Gaucher's disease) there is a higher incidence of Parkinson's disease among carriers (https://www.gaucherdisease.org/blog...disease-and-parkinsons-disease-podcast-recap/ ).

B12 may also be affected by lysosomal storage disorders, although perhaps not at the carrier level. Some people with Gaucher's appear to have active-B12 changes:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2326409817692359

"Vitamin B12 metabolism involves various cellular compartments including the lysosome, and a disruption in the lysosomal and endocytic pathways induces functional deficiency of this micronutrient. "

"Vitamin B12 bound to transcobalamin, that is, holo-TC is distributed via systemic circulation to all cells in the body. Cells take up holo-TC via receptor-mediated endocytosis, aided by the transcobalamin receptor (CD320),45,46 which shuttles vitamin B12 into lysosomes. The protein binder TC undergoes degradation in the lysosome, liberating vitamin B12 that is subsequently exported out of this compartment using the transporters LMBR1 Domain Containing 1 (LMBRD1)47,48 and ATP Binding Cassette Subfamily D Member 4 (ABCD4).49,50 Once in the cytosol, newly internalized vitamin B12 undergoes processing and trafficking by proteins, CblC51-57 and CblD,58-63 respectively, to finally reach acceptor proteins, MS in the cytosol and MCM in the mitochondrion.

Insufficient intake and certain inborn errors of metabolism impairing the cellular transport, trafficking, and utilization of vitamin B12 manifest as functional cobalamin deficiency, with either isolated or combined homocystinuria and methylmalonic aciduria. Untreated vitamin B12 deficiency causes hematological abnormalities, subacute combined degeneration of the spinal cord, and polyneuropathy."

Last edited:

godlovesatrier

Well after this long thread i thought I would also give B12 a go. I bought liquid hydro 1ml and self injected 1ml. I'm on my second at the moment 3 days after my first one. The first time I took it my nervous system seemed to go into a bit of a meltdown, I felt very nauseaus and fell asleep for about an hour almost immediately, had body aches and pains, fatigue and generally felt unwell. But these symptoms abated 12 to 24 hours later and I think...(unsure), that I might have had a lift from it the next day as I felt stronger, but this only lasted a day.

I realise now though after re-checking my genetics that I likely need methyl b12 and methyl folate. So I've started supplementing the folate as not getting much green veg in lockdown will be making it worse.

I've just taken my second injection, which went a lot better. But it does make me a little drowsy at first, maybe just because the body is rapidly using the b12 (I have a high metabolism).

Anyway whilst I haven't had the amazing reaction some have, I thought I would post my findings. I've been feeling particularly depleted over the last 10 months and have been trying to find something to give me a consistent yet small lift. Mainly for general fatigue and lethargy. I'll report back if I get a bigger boost.