• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"B" Vitamin Supplement Makes CFS/ME Symptoms Worse?

Jadzhia

So now I am wondering if upper back cramping and now lower back/leg pain are possibly related and could be oxalate dumping. If it is it is the worst that I ever had.
Honestly that doesn't sound like anything oxalate-related to me. Do you supplement Magnesium by any chance? That is so good for cramping and pain.

I just wish we didn't need to do all this self-experimentation!

Honestly that doesn't sound like anything oxalate-related to me. Do you supplement Magnesium by any chance? That is so good for cramping and pain.

I just wish we didn't need to do all this self-experimentation!
Yes, I am supplementing with magnesium at 360mg/day.

I began having issues with B6 toxicity (that was on a multi with 50 mg of most of the B vits).
What do you consider as B6 toxicity? I went looking for this and found no credible source. However, there is evidence that supplementing B6 may cause oxalate dumping because it shuts down endogenous production. This dumping may be interpreted as toxicity.

Jadzhia

What do you consider as B6 toxicity? I went looking for this and found no credible source. However, there is evidence that supplementing B6 may cause oxalate dumping because it shuts down endogenous production. This dumping may be interpreted as toxicity.
I started to get peripheral neuropathy again (when that had nearly disappeared thanks to B12). I was puzzled about that and stumbled across someone in the protocol group I'm in talking about B6 causing that if you take too much for too long. I'd been taking the strong B-complex multi for a couple of years. I stopped it right away and within a couple of weeks the neuropathy eased. Perhaps 'toxicity' is too strong a word here, more like 'in excess to my requirements'.

I think that I read about the peripheral neuropathy. I am beginning to figure out that these B vitamin supplements are not necessarily as benign as the purveyors would like you to believe. I am also having trouble finding a high quality B-complex that doesn't have huge amounts of everything. The best that I have found so far is seeking health B-complex MF. But even here the ingredients are 5-25X RDA.

I am beginning to wonder if I have gotten myself into trouble by not taking any B9 or B12 with the B-Minus. At that time all that I had was methylated B9 and B12 which I confirmed to be problematic by themselves.

Last edited:
I am beginning to wonder if I have gotten myself into trouble by not taking any B9 or B12 with the B-Minus. At that time all that I had was methylated B9 and B12 which I confirmed to be problematic by themselves.
Well, this is truly shocking. I just received my order for the Seeking Health B Complex MF and I decided that it couldn't make me any worse. So I took one and within a couple of hours my back and leg muscles had stopped spasming! My leg and back is still plenty sore from all of the spasms but it seems to have stopped the root cause.

So then I turned to Dr. Google "can vitamin b deficiency cause muscle pain" and muscle pain is symptom of B12 deficiency. The bigger mystery is why did the symptoms only show up in my lower back and left leg. Looking back it looks like the coat hanger shoulder pain may have been an advanced warning sign. So it looks like the B Minus supplement depleted my level of B12 enough to cause these symptoms. I am also wondering if B9 deficiency could have also played a part in this.

perchance dreamer

Thirdly, TMG makes me angry. Again, I don't know why but DMG is calming for me. ???

My experience with these 2 are similar, @Judee. TMG is very stimulating, and even a little bit in the morning gives me sleep problems. I do better with DMG, which does have a calming effect. I take it as a methyl donor.

That said, some people take DMG for energy, and others do well with TMG.

Well, this is truly shocking. I just received my order for the Seeking Health B Complex MF and I decided that it couldn't make me any worse. So I took one and within a couple of hours my back and leg muscles had stopped spasming! My leg and back is still plenty sore from all of the spasms but it seems to have stopped the root cause.

So then I turned to Dr. Google "can vitamin b deficiency cause muscle pain" and muscle pain is symptom of B12 deficiency. The bigger mystery is why did the symptoms only show up in my lower back and left leg. Looking back it looks like the coat hanger shoulder pain may have been an advanced warning sign. So it looks like the B Minus supplement depleted my level of B12 enough to cause these symptoms. I am also wondering if B9 deficiency could have also played a part in this.
Well, this sudden resolution of symptoms appears to have been a "red herring". The symptoms returned in about 12 hours. Another B Complex MF had no effect on the symptoms.