• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

“Autism symptoms reduced nearly 50 percent two years after fecal transplant”

MaximilianKohler

@Soon it goes beyond "infection". Most human microbes aren't known or tested for. The gut microbiome can be dysbiotic in a wide variety of ways.

Autism Risk Determined by Health of Mom’s Gut, UVA Research Reveals. "as a result of microflora-associated calibration of gestational IL-17a (inflammatory molecule interleukin-17a) responses" (2018): /r/HumanMicrobiome/comments/906hb9 - Cutting Edge: Critical Roles for Microbiota-Mediated Regulation of the Immune System in a Prenatal Immune Activation Model of Autism (2018) http://www.jimmunol.org/content/early/2018/06/29/jimmunol.1701755

bertiedog

I don't know too much about it, but the test I did about 10 years ago was the Genova Diagnostics Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis 2.0 With Parasitology. That was one I'd often seen recommended.

The up to date Genova recommended test for gut dysfunction is the G I Effects stool test. There are various add ons.

I have copious notes about this test btw as I have the webinar version of the 2 presenters of a recent day long webinar that took place in London recently. (I am registered with them as a practitioner as I have a Diploma in Nutrition).

Pam

Hip

The up to date Genova recommended test for gut dysfunction is the G I Effects stool test.

That's interesting, I had not heard of that test.

I wish Genova would provide some info comparing and contrasting their various gut tests, so that consumers can select the right one.

They still have their Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis 1.0 test and Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis 2.0 test available (again with optional add-ons like parasitology), so that's now three gut tests that they offer, but no explanation of which one you should use.

bertiedog

wish Genova would provide some info comparing and contrasting their various gut tests, so that consumers can select the right one.

Hello Hip

If you go to the gdx.net site and click on the Tests section where they are listed alphabetically you can then click on the further information section where an explanation is given for each test and the analytes that are tested. Unfortunately it does mean going through each of the tests individually for a comparison which is rather complicated and time consuming but I believe the G I Effects if probably the best value for money as it contains more actionable information. It uses the latest PCR technology as well as the older technology for measurement of commensal bacteria.

Just as a reminder for anybody who is interested I can order any of the UK tests at the price I have to pay which does offer a reasonable saving.

Pam

Hip

Unfortunately it does mean going through each of the tests individually for a comparison which is rather complicated and time consuming but I believe the G I Effects if probably the best value for money as it contains more actionable information. It uses the latest PCR technology as well as the older technology for measurement of commensal bacteria.

Thanks Pam. I also find that the sample reports Genova provide for each give some insight.

On the subject of actionable information: have you come across any ME/CFS patients who have benefited from the knowledge they gained from one of these Genova gut tests?

I took the Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis 2.0 many years ago, but in my case, it did not really lead to anything that improved my ME/CFS. My test showed pathological levels of Proteus mirabilis bacteria, but trying out some antibiotics which target this did not really do a great deal, although I did benefit from taking probiotics and prebiotics (though taking prebiotics does not really require you to take a gut stool test; it's something you can try anyway).

bertiedog

To be honest @Hip I haven't ordered enough of them to be able to answer this question but I do know that in many case studies I have heard from other highly qualified Practitioners this type of test has guided them as to what is going on with the gut of their clients and so they will start off with the basics like their clients' symptoms and then suggesting changes/improvement of diet, removing any obvious issues like sugar, white bread, fizzy drinks etc plus lifestyle changes - avoidance of stress and introduction of very gentle exercise if possible. (At this point the Practitioner would be ordering a test if the client's symptoms appeared to suggest a GI Effects test would be helpful and possibly an organic acid test like the ONE test).

On a follow up visit further adjustments will be made to deal with any underlying issues that have shown up in the tests, things like dysbiosis and/or Candida, hypochlordia, pancreatic insufficiency etc so for example herbal antibiotics would be tried for a few months together with an improved diet in the case of dysbiosis. Digestive enzymes and/or betaine ccl might also be suggested if indicated. Another appointment after 2 months would be arranged.

Often it will take 6 months for a patient who complains of fatigue amongst other things to feel greatly improved although often within 3 months the client might feel encouraged to continue. (If there were issues like hormonal imbalances then a qualified doctor would have to be involved).

Obviously I wouldn't know the degree of the patient's symptoms in the Case Studies but Jo Gamble who often speaks on the Genova webinars seems to see a very diverse group of patients, including cancer sufferers and she is very encouraged by the results her clients get. Several MDs from the US present case studies too which seem quite impressive - all along the same lines as above.

There is another webinar from Genova in a couple of weeks which is about the importance of the commensal bacteria so they are definitely regarding the gut as a major topic at the moment.

Pam