• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: The Optimize Dr. Bateman's Research Fundraiser

You guys are shaking the piggy bank good! Scott from the Fatigue Consultation Clinic reported that, as of 30 minutes ago (6pm), in just 9 hours the FFC had collected

$1020​

in amounts ranging from $2 to $100 from the US and the UK. We're a third of the way there!

:victory::victory::victory:​

A fantastic response! Everyone pat themselves on the back. I'm sure they're feeling the love over there in Salt Lake.

We've got 2/3rd's more to raise. Let's keep spreading the news and keep this baby moving and pull it over the finish line.

Otis,

Thank you for shaking that piggy (wish we had a shaking piggy emoticon)! I'm not sure if you were saying that you felt more rational today or that it seemed I was a bit more rational today. I'm assuming the later. Cort and I have been working with Dr. Bateman's Research Clinic for months to make sure that we address their needs and do this right. My apologies to anyone if I have seemed a bit prickly lately. This means a lot to me and at times (even in small doses) it wears me down a bit - I know..... but to me it's worth it!

No that was all me Shane. I though you'd recall I became a bit unhinged about gradual onset cases being excluded from the initial CAA biobank based on the research cohorts. I'm glad you forgot about it, actually. There I went and reminded you. Doh.

Truth be told I might have had a post-viral onset when I was 14 when I had a bout of fatigue with a bunch of sinus infections in there but then I went into near remission (unable to get cardio fit, IBS, ...) for 12 years or so but my mom and I can't recall the details. Off topic, just rambling.....

So anyway, you're good (and I'm better).

Otis

Cort, can't keep up with it anyways... so might as well put the money into better use. Help them help me... That's my motto.

Help Them Help Me

That just about sums it up.

And if not me then some poor kid who's coming down with this RIGHT NOW or will tomorrow or next month or next year. Help for them so they don't have to go through all of this.

Otis, I never gave it a second thought (lacking short-term memory apparently comes in handy). we'll have to ramble some more down the road.

Shiso, Thank you very much!

Everyone - What a great first day. I can guarantee you that there is some dancing in the halls at the FCC (there's no room to dance in the lunch room).

One of the concerns they shared was a fear of getting their hopes up as support for CFS research has been so hard to come by in the past.

I know they're really feeling the love right now (and they really do deserve it)!:thumbsup:

I love the fact that we'll have some computers with our names on them. I love the fact that we're helping bring the research arm of the FFC up to speed (because I think research is it and is what we're missing). I love the fact that if Dr. Singh's work takes off Dr. Bateman is situated at the heart of one of the most exciting groups studying XMRV. I love the fact that we're helping one of the real 'good guys (girls)' and I love the fact that CBS is right there to put it all together and take that group to the next levels 'information-infrastructure wise. I also love the fact that if what happened in Stanford with CBS happens here - this project will pay for itself many times over.

New Update on Total

You gals and (guys) are the best!

I just received a new update on the total raised so far.

$2,240.00!!!

WAY TO GO!!!!

We're really, really close (and in just 24 hours)!

:victory::victory::victory:THANK YOU!!!:victory::victory::victory:

ALERT!

We are either over the top or almost there. :tongue::tongue::tongue: We have about​

$2600​

in donations in about a day and a half - an amazing total!​

We also have a commitment from a donor to give us $650 in software. If that comes through -as we believe it will - that will put us well over the top.

However -since we don't have it in hand - we are going to keep the drive open for a few hours more for people who would like to continue to donate. The worst thing that could happen is that we either return some of the donations or the FFC or OFFER finds another way to use them. (Not a problem! They do have the patient provider conference coming up and we've discussed doing a live web presentation or webinar. There are many options.)

Never having done this before, CBS, I and the FFC really had no idea how this was going to turn out. We know the financial costs CFS imposes and the rather technical nature of the project - building an information infrastructure for the research end of the FFC - could have been a hitch as well. We really had no idea how this was going to turn out.

Obviously everyone is ecstatic at how this turned out. It exceeded our most optimistic hopes

Thank You EVERYBODY .

• If you want to give the FFC some breathing room, in case the software doesn't come through, or simply continue to support them, the Fundraiser will be open until 12am PST

We'll provide complete totals tomorrow. Pat yourselves on the back everybody!