• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: The Optimize Dr. Bateman's Research Fundraiser

Thanks for posting this, Cort. I'm a patient at Dr. Bateman's clinic, and I can tell you that I've never seen a more dedicated group of people. They have considerable expertise in research, and it could benefit all of us with CFS much more if they had better tools and more funding.

Thanks for posting this, Cort. I'm a patient at Dr. Bateman's clinic, and I can tell you that I've never seen a more dedicated group of people. They have considerable expertise in research, and it could benefit all of us with CFS much more if they had better tools and more funding.

Laurel,

I am not a patient of Dr. Bateman. I was on her waiting list but then my infectious issues raged out of control and Dr. Montoya (whom I had seen before) agreed to get me in ASAP.

I volunteered to help the FCC Research Department because I knew that the XMRV research with Dr. Singh was in the works and that Dr. Bateman was the most promising conduit for CFS patients to get involved (this is exactly what the WPI needs to validate their findings and then some). I had also heard Dr. Bateman talk on a number of occasions and I knew she was bright dedicated and that she had devoted herself to CFS because of her sister. I have gotten to know her a bit better since volunteering for this project (she's impossible to get to sit still for long), my respect for her has only grown.

Her staff is as dedicated as anyone could want but dealing with the technical issues takes a lot of energy that could go into recruitment. This project is intended to address both issues.

I know we're all strapped for cash. I don't expect big donations (although that would be great). One hundred people contributing $30 or 300 contributing $10 would make a world of difference (a lot of $2-5 contributions would get us there as well).

Laurel, thanks for sharing your experience with Dr. Bateman.

Thanks Cort. Even just a few dollars at a time this should not take the Phoenix Rising community too long to achieve. And my goodness, what better way to get a warm glow from helping ourselves? :D

Dr. Bateman is well known (and cherished) for her ability to provide great cohorts of REAL CFS patients to researchers. She's also one of those interminably busy CFS professionals - working with the IACFS. the CFSAC and OFFER as well as treating patients and running clinical trials. Now she's deep into the XMRV question with Dr. Singh and recently provided our first really positive news about XMRV in months.

CBS knows his databases - he worked on a similar project in Stanford that brought the department in alot of money via increased productivity. He can do the same here - he can help her to maximize her work and that will benefit us all. :victory::victory:

We can do this with little bits from each of us. :D:D:D

CBS knows his databases - he worked on a similar project in Stanford that brought the department in alot of money via increased productivity. He can do the same here - he can help her to maximize her work and that will benefit us all. :victory::victory:

We can do this with little bits from each of us. :D:D:D

Thanks Cort, truth be told, I'm stealing bits and peices from several of the databases I built when I was well. This makes the process a lot more efficient (as I already know that all those parts work) and it really helps on those bad brain fog days.

I really appreciate this opportunity - it makes me feel less helpless. And hearing from folks who have obviously benefited from her work warms the cockles of my heart - even though my feet are blue with cold!

I donated my little bit. Thanks for putting this together CBS. What a great idea.

Gracenote, I've thought a lot about you while working on this. I want anyone who might not qualify for any particular study to have their information available at the click of a button so that they'll be on the list for the next study to come down the line.

This project will make sure that patients who may not qualify for a study are stored in the database and on the short list even before the new criteria are entered.

This project will make sure that patients who may not qualify for a study are stored in the database and on the short list even before the new criteria are entered.

CBS,

So, feeling more rational today :ashamed:, I'll say this feature is near and dear to my heart and great stuff overall CBS! And strategic reuse is the backbone of any database or programming effort even when healthy so don't sell yourself short.

:thumbsup:

I'll shake the piggy bank.

Otis

Otis,

Thank you for shaking that piggy (wish we had a shaking piggy emoticon)! I'm not sure if you were saying that you felt more rational today or that it seemed I was a bit more rational today. I'm assuming the later. Cort and I have been working with Dr. Bateman's Research Clinic for months to make sure that we address their needs and do this right. My apologies to anyone if I have seemed a bit prickly lately. This means a lot to me and at times (even in small doses) it wears me down a bit - I know..... but to me it's worth it!