• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article on "long-haulers" not recovering from COVID-19. Sound familiar?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
WASHINGTON, D.C.) – Congressman Jamie Raskin (MD-08) today introduced legislation that would expand and coordinate National Institutes of Health (NIH) funding to address post-viral chronic neuroimmune diseases, including chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. As Congress continues its response to the coronavirus, the Understanding COVID–19 Subsets and ME/CFS Act, H.R. 7057, will address the predicted rise in ME/CFS diagnoses linked to increasing COVID-19 cases across the country.

andyguitar

I suspect that finding out why some covid patients dont make a full recovery will not be that hard and will probably be found to be due to damage to the lungs and cardiovascular system. My prediction is that a connection to me/cfs wont be found. But it might mean that more me/cfs patients get proper medical investigation.

Zebra

Hi Everyone!

I hope it's OK if I contribute an article to this thread.

It's about a doctor at UCSF who has been ill with COVID 19 off and on for 80+ days.

As most doctors don't "believe" that a COVID 19 infection can persist, or elicit a post-viral syndrome, perhaps this particular doctor may lend some "credibility" to this phenomenon and become an ally for post-COVID 19 patients in the months to come.

One can hope!

www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/amp/The-curious-case-of-the-SF-doctor-who-s-been-15304660.php

Booble

I'm glad people are talking about this now.

My bad virus (non-COVID according the time frame) lasted 2 months with bad symptoms (Dec & Jan) and another 2 months (Mar & April) not feeling right. So a total of 4 months to get back to my normal blah feeling self!

Booble

Hi Everyone!

I hope it's OK if I contribute an article to this thread.

It's about a doctor at UCSF who has been ill with COVID 19 off and on for 80+ days.

As most doctors don't "believe" that a COVID 19 infection can persist, or elicit a post-viral syndrome, perhaps this particular doctor may lend some "credibility" to this phenomenon and become an ally for post-COVID 19 patients in the months to come.

One can hope!

www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/amp/The-curious-case-of-the-SF-doctor-who-s-been-15304660.php

Doctors don't believe the virus can stay intact and alive and I think that is likely correct. What is not accounted for is how the virus can require longer time for your body to get over it.

YippeeKi YOW !!

In late Feb, early March, I had a viral infection with all the hallmarks of COVID .... no available tests, so couldn't verify it, but was heartened when our administration here in the US informed us that tests were useless, so I felt less ..... deprived.

I'm still trying to hobble back to just the normal crappy, so I totally hear 'ya @Booble .... it has an almost malevolent persistence, a determined 1-step-forward-2-steps-back about it that, on my bad days, sucks the hope right out of me.

Luckily, I've been thru ME, probably the only effective training program currently available, and all things considered, am holding up pretty well, except for the days when I'm not.

Tiresome tho.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Quoting from the post above by @Zebra and reposted by @Booble:

"As most doctors don't "believe" that a COVID 19 infection can persist,
or elicit a post-viral syndrome, perhaps this particular doctor may lend some "credibility"
to this phenomenon and become an ally for post-COVID 19 patients in the months to come."

Wow. Absolutely ZERO time wasted in getting back to the " ....an idiopathic, somatoform illness with unknown etiology ..." approach to allopathic empathy and healing.

The shorter version: " ..... it's all in your head ....".

I think that pretty much answers the question we've all been asking each other and ourselves, hopefully, about whether this will jump-start treatment protocols and research for ME/CFS.

Rvanson

I read that article today. In the long run, no one cares about chronic conditions and you will be told its all in your head. In a few years, after CV-19 goes away and there are lots of people resisting using masks, no one will care about the survivors of COVID anymore then they care about ME/CFS sufferers. Nothing will change at all.

nyanko_the_sane

Because everyday is Caturday...
I read that article today. In the long run, no one cares about chronic conditions and you will be told its all in your head. In a few years, after CV-19 goes away and there are lots of people resisting using masks, no one will care about the survivors of COVID anymore then they care about ME/CFS sufferers. Nothing will change at all.
Oh I hope not! Lest we are all doomed...

Hipsman

Yes, but there will be much more interest into viruses as a military threat. In theory, some terrorist organization or anyone who has access to advanced lab could mutate a highly pathogenic virus from a virus family that wasn't highly pathogenic previously. There are many virus families like coronavirus, to witch we didn't develop vaccines, drugs or herb immunity.

Since ME/CFS is mainly linked to viruses, ME/CFS patients would benefit from new research, antivirals and diagnostic tools, this will help to find root of the problem + new treatments options.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Since ME/CFS is mainly linked to viruses, ME/CFS patients would benefit from new research, antivirals and diagnostic tools, this will help to find root of the problem + new treatments options.
You're right .... the only problem .... well actually there are two:

1. The needs and interests of the ME/CFS community would have to be represented by a group, or an entity, powerful enough to command attention and gain the kind of access required to sort thru and interpret the relative merit of the new research, vis a vis their applicability to our multi-faceted illnesses, and ...
  2. Anything done in anticipation of the possibility of that kind of biological warfare would not be likely to be shared by any govt that's put in the amount of research and development money that would require, not to mention the necessity for secrecy in order to make any discoveries meaningful in the event of such an attack. Even private labs would be under gov't restrictions.
Still, I think it might be a possibility. Stuff that isn't specific to 'their' needs might slip out, and be useful for ours.

Thank you for cheering us up, @Hipsman

Hipsman

Anything done in anticipation of the possibility of that kind of biological warfare would not be likely to be shared by any govt that's put in the amount of research and development money that would require, not to mention the necessity for secrecy in order to make any discoveries meaningful in the event of such an attack. Even private labs would be under gov't restrictions.
While in development yes, but I don't see how they would keep diagnostic technology and drugs in secrecy since these would have to be available in hands of clinicians in the majority of hospitals in en event of pandemic.

I'm not a copyright expert, but I would guess if such secret development would slip through to some pharma company, they could claim copyright over it and make it as their own since secret developments don't have public patents, this is especially the case if the company makes patents in foreign country.

But even all this aside, there are technologies that were developed by US military, but after some time they became available to public. GPS is probably the most famous one:
The system that was developed allowed a GPS receiver to connect to three or more satellites to trilaterate their position, but it was limited to military use until the 1980s. President Ronald Reagan made it available to the world after a Korean airliner was shot down by Soviet fighters when it strayed off course due to navigational errors. (Ref)

Last edited: