• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are Gulf War Illness Studies Pointing to Gut Healers for ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia?

YippeeKi YOW !!

i wanted to know if you had used it against others brands?
Yes. I used several. The only one I remember right now is Garden of Life Maxi, but like so many other things that I gave up on when this miserable little sucking chest wound of an illness hit, I stopped taking it because I had no idea what was attacking me ….

Was there a particular line of their products that worked well for you
The only Optibac product (I assume that’s what you’re asking about, not the other products I might have tried down the years) that I’ve used was their probiotic compound to combat the effects of antibiotics. I was taking hefty doses of Olive Leaf Extract for a tooth problem I was having, and it produced the same effect that ABX have delivered to e in the past

what some of the benefits were? Thank you.
Within 36 hours it had reversed the gut effects of the Olive Leaf, and it’s continuing to do so.

Was it a refrigerated product when you received it or was it spore based and not necessary
No, it requires no refrigeration, just to be kept at a stable, cool, room temp and out of strong light ….

I think their porducts are worth consideration. Am starting DB (my husband) on the Optibac general wellness probiotic, so we’ll see how smething with a less defined theatre of action works ….

Hope this helps, @Brandit ….

Thank you, I appreciate the information. Thats also interesting on the olive leaf extract, i had received some minor antiviral effects from it but wasn't taking large quantities.

BrightCandle

I did a microbiome test from Biomesight and while some of my bacteria is fine I am seriously lacking, like literally none, of two bacteria known to be important for the gut lining and breaking up fibre. I have been hunking down probiotics containing variants of that since and my constipation is gradually easing but it is a very slow process and my calculation says I would need about £6000 worth if it doesn't naturally breed (or die off) of the probiotics to get an average amount in there. I definitely have evidence my gut is messed up.

anne_likes_red

I did a microbiome test from Biomesight and while some of my bacteria is fine I am seriously lacking, like literally none, of two bacteria known to be important for the gut lining and breaking up fibre. I have been hunking down probiotics containing variants of that since and my constipation is gradually easing but it is a very slow process and my calculation says I would need about £6000 worth if it doesn't naturally breed (or die off) of the probiotics to get an average amount in there. I definitely have evidence my gut is messed up.

What are the particular bacteria (strains?) you're missing?
You're right - it usually takes huge numbers of bacteria to make much meaningful impact.

godlovesatrier

I came across this article awhile ago while looking for CFS recovery stories. I decided what the hell if probiotics worked for this lady I've got nothing to loose. https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2016/01/07/probiotics-cure-my-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

Before I started on the Joshua Leisk protocol I was taking b1 b6 and I then added solar ray 24 strain 30 bill cfu probiotic. One capsule per day. I noticed results within a week. I had been suffering with gastrointestinal upsets at night and a general discomfort. Would wake me up in the middle of the night and then I'd have abdominal pain and diherrea or if not just pain.

Surprisingly I noticed the solar ray caused these issues to disappear within about 3 to 4 weeks and it gave me a solid energy boost. From the moment I took it throughout most of the day. I was quite happy with it

Then I started on Josh's protocol. So sort of got side tracked.

Recently I bought a new probiotic pure encap 4 strain 10 billion cfu. I gradually started to deteriorate. Assumed it was to do with something else. But then after getting bad gastro issues last week. I realised it was because the pure encap probiotic didn't have neatly enough strains nor cfus. I increased to 30 to 50 bill cfu and combined two other probiotics and a few days later started to feel a lot better.

Carol's article links to her blog where she goes into more detail but sadly her blogs no longer active. She basically went into remission taking 50 strains of bacteria and over 150 billion cfus per day. Most of her food intolerances resolved and she could eat most foods again.

So yes I think this study might be onto something.

I've tried lots of other probiotics and got nowhere at all. It wasn't until I took the solar ray I noticed any difference. It seems 5 strains is too little to have an effect and 14 strains (biokult) is useful but it's still not enough.

I also noticed biokult quickens my heart rate, increases my body temp and makes me sweat a bit. I think this must be immune activation and some sort of die off effect prob bacterial. But on its own it's no good. It's also lethally expensive compared to solar ray.

I intend to try garden of Life next.