• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone use Avena Sativa instead of Abilify?

xebex

I tried it, the first time I took it the effects were similar to and even better than ritalin. But I crashed and next day had POTs symptoms. Tried it again several times after with no positive effect as per the first time and only negative effects. It seems to make me crash without even having to do anything! Have given up on it.

Although there is little evidence (there is some) I still believe that ones COMT gene status will dictate how we respond to dopaminergic drugs.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I asked it too so I'm hoping it's not a dumb question. :)
It seems we're all of us at sea here, and none of the braniacs are responding ..... I'll try to do some googling later, but right now, not too focused ....

Maybe someone currently on Facebook could get some answers from people posting on that thread .... I'm not Facebooked ....

YippeeKi YOW !!

I seem to remember that an extract of Avena Sativa was useful for sleep and anxiety issues, but apparently that recollection is buried too far back in my flimsy brain archives... it functions in a similar way to Hops, if I'm remembering right, and there's absolutely zero guarantees of that ... ...

YippeeKi YOW !!

OK ... here's a research paper from PubMed on the extract and its effects on cognitive and mood processes ...

Acute and Chronic Effects of Green Oat (Avena sativa) Extract on Cognitive Function and Mood during a Laboratory Stressor in Healthy Adults: A Randomised, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study in Healthy Humans
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7352613/

JES

I have heard it mentioned a lot, but I still don't fully understand why they make the connection between Avena sativa and Abilify. Is there any solid evidence they work remotely in the same way?

I had a short trial with Avena sativa last spring and it made my brain feel more wired, unable to sleep.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I had a short trial with Avena sativa last spring and it made my brain feel more wired, unable to sleep.
I get the same effect from hops and valerian .... in fact, pretty much all of the herbs useful for sleep and anxiety have paradoxical effects on me and clear thru CYP3A4 and a couple of other liver isoenzymes that clear everything from statins to opioids, benzos, and anti-psychs ...

EDIT ... for clarity .... of sorts .... and the odd typo. But arent they all ....

Last edited:

andyguitar

A few times now, people on the Abilify FB group have mentioned using Avena sativa instead of Abilify.

Has anyone heard about this and/or tried it?
It's been used in traditional European herbalism for a long time. Comes under the catagory of "nervous restorative". But it's used in conjuction with circulatory stimulants, not on it's own. The principal being that the circulatory system needs to be functioning effectively for oxygen/nutrients/herbs ect to get to where they are needed and for waste product to be removed.

xebex

Avena sativa works in a similar way to Abilify, reducing inflammation, anxiety and stress, probably by working on the D2 dopamine receptors just like Abilify does.

https://nootropicsexpert.com/oat-straw/

the fact it increases cerebral circulation is particularly interesting and I wonder if Abilify also does this.

I'm in a facebook group where some people are finding continuing improvement from using it - but as I said above it didn't work out for me.

Last edited:

xebex

It's been used in traditional European herbalism for a long time. Comes under the catagory of "nervous restorative". But it's used in conjuction with circulatory stimulants, not on it's own. The principal being that the circulatory system needs to be functioning effectively for oxygen/nutrients/herbs ect to get to where they are needed and for waste product to be removed.

intersting! any idea what the other herbs are that you're s'posed to use with it?