• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

anyone tried organic or green mattresses?

Mouse girl

Hi there,

I haven't been around in some time. Just went through such a traumatic year and 1/2 or so and lots of bad health.

Thought I would treat myself to a new mattress since I spend most of my life in one. But it has ended up in a never ending nightmare of pain, bad sleep, too much chemical smells and wasted money. OH how I wish I kept my old mattress!

The last two wonderful mattesses I had were firm pillowtops on the lower end but not bottom end by beautyrest. They were wonderful but I wear them out fast since I have lived in my room so I read, watch tv, rest, sleep, live in them. They stopped making the kind I used to get and the new ones are too soft and too foamy and super duper smelly. I've gone though four mattreses so far and I'm getting soooo sick.

Saw Avocado Green mattresses and I'm hesitant as they are expensive and I don't know if I'll have allergies with them as some natural products end up causing problems too but like the idea of them and they do have a showroom that is reachable but will be hard at this point. Anyways. Just wondering what others are going through with the mattress drama. The chemical thing is getting so much worse with time, I find that when I go to public places to sit or lay down on mattresses to try them, I have to wash my clothes as they reek of the hard core laundry chemicals. I didn't have to do this 10 years ago and I"v been sensitive to chemicals since I've been sick and sensitive commercial laundry soap since before i was sick.

thanks

Diwi9

Administrator
I really love my Pure Green Natural Latex mattress, but I have no allergies to the natural latex, organic cotton, and organic wool. Then again, I also bought an hypoallergenic cover for the mattress to keep in clean. I replace my mattresses about every seven years as I do have an allergy to dust mites. So far this mattress is holding up great, where as my prior Temperpedic began to sag.

I hope you find something good. There are many options out there now a days, and maybe if you call the company you can find out if they will allow you to trial the mattress and return it if affects you.

A good mattress is so important...you are a smart cookie to investigate!

Mouse girl

Thank you Annie and Diwi. Avocado has a good return policy and good customer service (supposedly) and consumer reports love them. They have one without the wool and since I'm very allergic to wool, seems a smarter choice. I"m so sensitive it just makes the mattress thing so hard and since most people like more foam, all foam and softer mattresses, it's just become really hard compared to the last two times I got one. I did have terrible chemical reactions from one mattress and back pain in the past and seams the beautyrest ones have become softer and more chemically. I need a firm one with just a little cusion on top. Ah well. I'll do my best. I know I'm very blessed that I can even try and fail with a few because for the last 25 years, making a mistake like this would have crippled me financially due to this illness. I"m just so sick, so set back, it makes it harder but so it goes. Have to learn to be kinder to myself about all of this. When I get super sick, I find old patterns of negative self talk rear their ugly heads. Thanks for listening. Nice to come back and connect even in the small way with the community.

Lieselotte

I was looking into Avocado as well. Some reviews I had read were saying that if you wanted to 'return' the mattress within the allotted time frame you had to do it yourself. Basically, they ask that you donate the mattress you don't like, and you have to find and arrange this yourself and send them the proof. To me, at the time, it seemed like a lot of work for someone with ME. Maybe something you call and ask them about if you're seriously looking into it.
I ended up with a Saatva mattress, which is mostly green, uses some organic materials, etc. I like it fine, although nothing seems comfortable to me nowadays :(

AnnieT

@Mouse girl yes be kind to yourself!

I know how horrible it is when you sense or smell chemical in your home environment, ugh, something I will bear in mind when buying something new too.

Mouse girl

. I like it fine, although nothing seems comfortable to me nowadays :(

Sorry that nothing is comfortable now. I get it. Sadly, my old mattress wasn't cozy, comfy but it didn't make me hurt but stupidly, I had them take it away when I bought the new one by the same manufacturer. Salvation Army used to pick up mattresses in my city but looks like they stopped. They are the ONLY donation place I know of that will pick up anything at all in my city. It's such a shame because I'ld love to give someone who needs it a almost new mattress.

Annie, the chemical thing just seems so much worse lately. I know they produce more and more untested chemicals in this country. I'm super sensitive to some chemicals and to others not as much. Seems different brands have different blends of chemicals too and they switch it up as my old standby is now toxic to me. I am so foggy and sick from them, I just want them out of my house. ugg! It's such a pain when you can move stuff yourself. I'm in so much pain too. I think with all the spinal fluid inflamation, anything that gets my neck or back out just ends up causing all over body pain. Thanks for all the imput. It's helpful to bounce thoughts around about it.

Mouse girl

Just thought I would update, in case anyone else is thinking of trying natural mattresses. I checked out the mattresses in the showroom.

So, I was feeling terrible but thought, well, I'll just see if I can make the drive to the store today so I can try to fix the huge problems of pain and sickness added on my regular ME from the darn new mattress. I made it to the Avocado store and it was so lovely. The products are really lovely, so soft and well made and not smelly at all. Bonus for me since most people who go in there are into natural stuff, probably use natural laundry detergent so afterwards, I didn't want to burn my clothes to get the chemical out from the increasingly hardcore perfume and harmful chemicals in regular laundry soap. (Kidding about burning them, of course, but I take them off as they reek after laying or sitting in alot of public spaces lately and put them in the wash.) But, for me, they don't work! Pooh, so bummed. They are a bit too soft for me but that could probably be fixed with a flat hard base under the mattress, but for me, they have a firmer section across the middle of the mattress as lumbar support and it's super uncomfortable for me. I saw complaints about this online. I hope they start making some without it and maybe make some firmer mattresses but seems like the industry is just going softer and softer. Maybe because people are getting bigger and bigger? I don't know but such a shame. Seems like a good company and nice, caring but not pushy young women working there.

I got a king size pillow made from the natural latex and some other wood product to try as a body pillow. I"m allergic to wool which they use in the standard mattresses but they have what they call, vegan ones that just have latex, interspring and cotton.

So, the saga continues........next idea is to get a cheapish firm bed and maybe get a latex topper from Avocado or anothing kind of topper and see if that works. I wish I could donate to a shelter that helps women and children fleeing domestic violence but I don't have a connection with one now. I was surprised I held up so well, but maybe because the showroom wasn't toxic and like I said the mattresses didn't even have that awful "toxic tide" smell from the clothes of peeps laying on them like at regular stores. I'm really glad I went. Lifted my spirits to get out. Nice when getting out helps you feel better rather than feeling like you made such a big mistake and honestly, I often can't tell which way it's going to go.

Love to all my fellow sufferers.

Strawberry

...next idea is to get a cheapish firm bed

I hope you don't have to do that! I find it is so hard to find beds that don't have fire retardant chemicals. There are many other brands out there with organic mattresses that offer firm options. Latex just isn't for people that like firm. I don't remember brands, and I prefer soft, so I can't suggest anything firm. But I know many people have had good luck with Tuft and Needle and Casper to name two.

Best of luck and keep us posted here what you get! Buying a mattress that doesn't kill us with off gassing is a problem with so many people here.

Mouse girl

Thanks Strawberry. I'm so glad you like soft beds, much easier to find them as they all seem to be soft these days. I think I can exchange my hardcore toxic swamp mattress in a couple of weeks. The serta brand is less toxic to me than the new Beautyrest ones. So, going to try one of those firmer ones as it should be free. For most I've seen online they tend to be too soft and too foamy. I never like full foam beds, so even though I found one company that offers a latex firm without wool, my guess is that firm is not really firm like an inner spring firm. What a nightmare this has been. If I ever find one, I'll probably keep it forever as I'll be so scared to do this again. Never had this much drama before. Only once did I buy one that was so toxic it made me sick in the past but they were less foamy and life was less chemically even 3 years ago. I think since we import everything now and regulations have been destroyed and more untested chemicals come and arbitration agreements that make companies get away with crime, just is making the issue worse and worse. But, at least there are more companies coming out trying to come up with healthier products just they can be pricey and have less options. Ah, life with ME, never short of challenges even under the best of circumstances.

Wishful

I've been researching beds for years, and STILL have my 20 year old mattress.

20+ year old urethane foam mattress here. It's still firm, and I expect it's outgassed pretty much all that it's going to do. I'm sure I could find worse new mattresses.

Mouse girl

Wishful, yes, never get rid of that one. Awsome that it's still firm. I wish I had been as wise as you. It's been a crazy year for me so my brain and nerves are frazzled and fried so it's been hard making decisions, hence the mistake of letting go of my old mattress. I now have my old, old little mattress in my bedroom and even though it's worn so it does bother my back, it's just soooo much nicer than that awful new ones I've been trying for months now. Just sleeping in it one night and I'm amazed at how bad the other ones really are and wonder how much damage I've already done to myself. I saw on line from the place I bought the toxic waste one's from that they have a "natural" mattress with innerspring, cotton and no foam at all. It's probably still chemically with fire retardants and all that but I'll see if I can exchange for one of those just to try it out. I know memory foam is super smelly so maybe it will be less toxic. I can't believe how much things have changed in just a few years with mattresses. I can't believe how much this has impacted my life. I'm just been miserable and in so much pain for months. There's another natural mattress place in this city but they are pricey and not sure they would be firm enough. I kind of feel just over all this drama. I have to move at some point and I don't know how I will manage that all on my own.

Wishful

Maybe we need to study cats. They're experts at finding cozy places to sleep. Just skip the part about finding the piece of paper or whatever that their human is going to need while you're sleeping on it.

I have to move at some point and I don't know how I will manage that all on my own.

I accumulated lots of stuff for future projects for 'when I got better'. When I did have to move, I realized that the chances of me actually working on those projects is really small, so it wasn't worth moving all that stuff. Getting rid of that stuff helped. I probably should have gotten rid of more.

While I enjoy real paper books, I think any new purchases will be ebooks, just to avoid future moving, storing, etc.

Mouse girl

Maybe we need to study cats. They're experts at finding cozy places to sleep. Just skip the part about finding the piece of paper or whatever that their human is going to need while you're sleeping on it.

I accumulated lots of stuff for future projects for 'when I got better'. When I did have to move, I realized that the chances of me actually working on those projects is really small, so it wasn't worth moving all that stuff. Getting rid of that stuff helped. I probably should have gotten rid of more.

While I enjoy real paper books, I think any new purchases will be ebooks, just to avoid future moving, storing, etc.

Hehe....yes, kitties certainly are good at getting comfy. They are a bit more flexible and squishy though which helps. I have one kitty who is chronically ill and she doesn't like cats beds , she prefers the harder surfaces and a furry blanket. Reminds me of me, as it's harder for me to get up and out of beds or sofa's that are too soft and they hurt my back, not sure kitty has these issues though since I can't discuss it with her. Getting rid of stuff is good when you are up to it. I recently was left with a house full and I do mean FULL of stuff from my dad and it killed me trying to go through it all and get rid of it even with hired help. I'm so burnt out from just a horrible few years of losing my dad, activity, added health problems and scary relatives coming after the $ my dad left me, I just am completely burnt out. I did well dealing with all that needed to be done and now, I can't seem to do anything and don't feel confident with choices. I think it's just been such a traumatic time, I need to rest up.

My dad kept everything and I remember him saying, it would be ok if an earthquake just destroyed the house and he wouldn't have to deal with it. I used to offer to help him get rid of stuff but now having dealt with alot of the stuff, I get what he meant. lol

I did find a few more mattress makers that look interesting. Joybeds seem really good but the one without wool looks too soft for me. So hard to be sensitive to so many things like wool and chemicals. It's like the mold avoidence thing. I got sick from mold and getting out and rid of stuff I had really helped but didn't cure me. And trying the tent thing with new stuff doesn't work for me because the chemicals in new stuff is maybe worse for me. Way too many variables when your body just doesn't work on most levels. Well, we keep on going though, don't we? I'm very thankful I"m not living out of my car.

Wishful

Have you looked at futons? I think there are quite a few that are just cotton or other natural fibres.

Depending where you live, you might be able to buy a bale or two of straw and try to make a comfortable bed out of that. It might only cost a few dollars to try. It's mulch for your garden if it's not snoozeworthy.

If the researchers can't develop a treatment that works full time, even a treatment that gives you one good day once a month or so would be ever so helpful. Imagine what you could get done if you had a whole day of full energy. :)

Mouse girl

Your bale of hay cracked me up! I'm really allergic to grass and other stuff. I think hay would be right up there too. And I doubt I could lift a bale of hay. LOL But, good idea in therory. I think you used to stuff old mattresses with hay and other things, didn't they? I ordered a regular firm one out of desperation last night because it can come qwick and I can get an organic latex topper from Avocado to try. I have a organic cotton cover that maybe I I can put on top. At least there are lots of options but my poor body has really had enough. I really need to be kinda doing nothing but resting. I plan on trying a more natural one with just cotton and springs but I have to wait a week before I can exhange it and I'll have to wait for it to be made. So, on it goes......I feel like such a, oh, I can't think of the word......just high matainence type of person or perfectionist but I know you guys are the few who can get it. It's just really hard being sick with inflamed cerebral spinal fluid plus chemcial sensitivies and allergies to animals, pollens, grasses, trees........oh and sensitive to mold and activity. It's just ridiculous when you even start to think of it all.

I don't know about one day a month. I think it would mess with one's mind to have a taste of what normal was like, it would be like getting sick from the beginning when we remembered what it was like to say, be able to stand or eat normally or sleep or exercise or learn anything we wanted or work and then get slapped down to illness again. I can't remember what it is like to be even close to normal. I looked at people standing in line to vote and I can't wrap my head around how they can just stand there like it was nothing and not want to die or have to sit on the ground and just put their heads in their hands in pure misery. And yet, I used to waitress and work out and run up and down stairs with boxes, got good grades in school with barely any effort. Now.....sometimes I can't speak or understand what I'm reading. I think when you still remember what it's like to be normal is when the illness is pure torture. Just my opinion but I"ve been really sick for 26 years now. I do love hearing how other's feel and think about it all. I like the different views and perspectives.

lenora

Mouse Girl....That's the secret of it all. I have so many things wrong, including the allergies you mention, that I simply can't and don't think of them all. At the moment, though, I'm really tired of pain and can't get comfy in my bed. Now that's a new one and I hate it.

I, too, have to go mattress hunting (there has already been on failed attempt), and it's the last thing in the world I look forward to doing. My husband can and does sleep on anything. We have a king bed with two twin mattresses. We have controls for watching TV. Perhaps they're now out of style and we'll have to start all over again. Both of us agree that we would love to be "together" again, but I don't think it's going to work out. The one question I have and never see answered is this: Years ago when we bought these mattresses, the old foam ones were considered too hot...even the top of the line ones (can't remember the name). Does anyone have anything to add about that problem? We live in a hot climate anyway and neither of us likes to have the air conditioning on at night, thus hot is out! I never thought that something that seemed so simple would turn out to be such a bane...and pillows follow right behind. I'm so tired of buying and returning pillows, and it really doesn't matter where they come from. I swear that only one type is made and sold under soft, medium and firm. Feathers are out b/c of allergies...we've tried them. There have been nights when I slept on the floor b/c it was more comfortable; one then has to wonder if this basic thing called the mind has gone somewhere.

If there's another person like I am out there who has found relief, kindly contact me. I would be quite appreciative. Yours, Lenora

Wishful

Have you tried a hammock? I didn't find it comfortable for sleeping, but it would solve your heat issue and your allergy issues (synthetic mesh can't retain allergens easily). Relatively cheap too, and probably with a good return policy in case it isn't comfortable for you.

lenora

Have you tried a hammock? I didn't find it comfortable for sleeping, but it would solve your heat issue and your allergy issues (synthetic mesh can't retain allergens easily). Relatively cheap too, and probably with a good return policy in case it isn't comfortable for you.

No, Wishful, I have never tried a hammock. You're quite right, it would take care of the allergy issues, who knows we may give that a thought. Thanks for the input. The mosquitoes are a problem, but we do have screens for them that go from top to bottom and look like plate glass window. Rod loves to make and install them for people as they were such a help for us. I'll talk to him about a hammock this very evening. Thanks. Yours Lenora

Last edited by a moderator: