• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone investigated "chronic cerebal spinal insufficiency syndrome" for CFS ?

Bansaw

I have poor posture.
I just was looking into chronic cerebral spinal insufficiency syndrome, where the cerebral fluid does not flow well.
This can lead to brain fog and fatigue.

Has anyone investigated this? I might take my first steps at start to look into this. I have significant improvements when I consciously relax the back of my upper neck.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Has anyone investigated this?
I believe that there are multiple threads, some of them quite long, on CCI and CCSI (chronic cerebral spinal insufficiency) on this site.

Just go to the top of any page, and on the far right, in the dark blue header, click on 'SEARCH' and enter your subject. This should bring up a wealth of possibilities for you.

Happy hunting !!!

Rufous McKinney

I have poor posture.

thanks for posting, very helpful, very Most Likely Going On Here......

I might take my first steps at start to look into this. I have significant improvements when I consciously relax the back of my upper neck.

hoping to address....I work on posture often where I can, with a list of back issues starting at the neck and proceeding the entire length.

I tend to spend alot of time in my chair- which fits my body well, unlike much other furniture. I really notice if i'm not in this chair as everything hurts spine and neck wise. So at least my chair posture isn't too bad neck wise.

Lieing down on my back, I get head aches in my back neck.

Bowser

Bansaw

Just go to the top of any page, and on the far right, in the dark blue header, click on 'SEARCH' and enter your subject. This should bring up a wealth of possibilities for you.
Thanks... actually I only found one post on the whole site:
The treatments are either to have the neck reamed out in a $10,000 operation or to increase mitochondrial function in the heart so that the tricuspid valve gets back to work. At least that is the theory.
IMHO - mitochondrial failure of this magnitude needs direct intervention and by this I mean Freddd's protocol.
Which is here:
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/psychosis.27020/page-3#post-414192

Bansaw

Here is a great article that talks about posture and bio mechanical issues in the context of ME/CFS.

https://mskneurology.com/myalgic-encephalomyelitis-me-biomechanical/

It is a long article and initially hard to parse, so if you have any specific questions I’d be happy to answer.
Thank you so much.... this article resonates with me strongly. I especially connect to the change in weather (especially an acute change to colder) producing a crushing effect on me.
I think this may be a key for me.
Now, I would like to know if there is an expert locally in NC who can help me with this. I read in his article that exercises to address the condition must be implemented wisely & carefully.

YippeeKi YOW !!

You might want to slightly change your search's phrasing, since I know that there are at least 4 or 5, and probably more, threads addressing this issue, one of them over 100 or more pages long ...

The search function on this site, unfortunately, is extremely exact in its interpretation of whatever you enter. So keep trying ....

YippeeKi YOW !!

I went to the FORUM page and initiated a Google search of this site, which almost always brings up more info. Unfortunately, it WON'T bring up any 'Members Only' materials, but it's a starting place for you.

If you want to initiate a Google search in addition to the 'Search' function on this site, go to the FORUM page (listed at the top of each page in the same dark blue band I mentioned before), and you'll find 'Google Search' near the left side on the second line ...

Google Site Search
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/pages/google-search/

Bowser

Thank you so much.... this article resonates with me strongly. I especially connect to the change in weather (especially an acute change to colder) producing a crushing effect on me.
I think this may be a key for me.
Now, I would like to know if there is an expert locally in NC who can help me with this. I read in his article that exercises to address the condition must be implemented wisely & carefully.
Yes it is true that you have to approach the exercises carefully. I have been doing them and experiencing steady improvement, and believe this is the key to achieving remission.

I would conservatively recommend doing a Skype consultation with the author of this article. I am not sure that you can find a local doctor with this level of knowledge, although you can try. As the author mentions in another article, most PTs will offer the wrong advice, such as stretching the scalene muscles instead of strengthening them, as you should.

Long term strength gain of the scalenes in particular is key to resolving Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, one of the bio mechanical causes of intracranial hypertension and by extension ME/CFS.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I also have poor posture, the chiropractor said my core muscles are weak but since i can't build muscle she was able to correct the posture but its a maintenance thing with regular visits to keep it the posture good until we have an ME treatment and i can do strength training to strengthen the core muscles

Bowser

I also have poor posture, the chiropractor said my core muscles are weak but since i can't build muscle she was able to correct the posture but its a maintenance thing with regular visits to keep it the posture good until we have an ME treatment and i can do strength training to strengthen the core muscles
Here is a good video on getting the right posture. It is important to avoid hinging in the cervical spine. I never even realised I had this problem until I watched this video about a year ago, and now my cervical spine is no longer hinging.

Bansaw

I would conservatively recommend doing a Skype consultation with the author of this article. I am not sure that you can find a local doctor with this level of knowledge, although you can try. As the author mentions in another article, most PTs will offer the wrong advice, such as stretching the scalene muscles instead of strengthening them, as you should.
I was actually seriously considering booking a Skype call with this guy. Its about $200 for an hour but I think he has some good insights on this.

I see you linked to a video above about posture. Do you have links to other exercises you are doing?
thanks.

Bowser

I was actually seriously considering booking a Skype call with this guy. Its about $200 for an hour but I think he has some good insights on this.

I see you linked to a video above about posture. Do you have links to other exercises you are doing?
thanks.

I am currently doing four neck exercises. I have been doing these on and off since September 2020, very sparsely, often taking breaks of several weeks. Recently, in the past one month, I have adopted a more aggressive schedule (3-7 times per week) while still taking care to rein in the number of reps as they are very weak. In the parentheses I have included the rep amount.

Scalenes:
(1-2 reps) (be very careful with this exercise)

Trapezius:
(1-2 reps)

Levator scapulae:
(1-2 reps)

Suboccipital muscles:
(4-5 reps)

In the context of fixing TOS, strengthening the scalenes is the most important. Exercising the suboccipitals has importance in fixing posture and cervical hinge.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Here is a good video on getting the right posture. It is important to avoid hinging in the cervical spine. I never even realised I had this problem until I watched this video about a year ago, and now my cervical spine is no longer hinging.

Not realistic for me.
In my case its manageable with treatment though i have noticed no cognitive improvement whosoever from the treatment. In fact its much worse but thats probably just a coincidence as the ME is worsening hence worse cognition.

Rufous McKinney

now my cervical spine is no longer hinging.

curious-

1) why does the chin disappears when attempting to make this correction?

2) adams apple now entirely evident decades later ( female)

Thats a result of this cervical hinge and loss of collagen in my opinion. I did not start out like this.

Bansaw

I would conservatively recommend doing a Skype consultation with the author of this article. I am not sure that you can find a local doctor with this level of knowledge, although you can try.
Did you do a Skype consultation with Larsen? Was it helpful to talk one-on-one with him rather than just pick up the essential exercises from the video?

Bowser

Did you do a Skype consultation with Larsen? Was it helpful to talk one-on-one with him rather than just pick up the essential exercises from the video?
Yes I have had several consultations with him over the past year. They have been essential in learning the exercises and figuring out that I have TOS, and to discuss various things such as diagnosis, exercise schedules and surgical options. Kjetil answers each question thoroughly and with great specificity.