• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone here used HIV/AIDS treatment for CFS?

JES

Enterovirus is of interest to me. Dr Chia found positive results in a biopsy. But from what I understand, there is no drug to address enterovirus. Is this true?
Equilibrant doesn't work on everyone, and works better on men, I have been told, and not always.

There are no drugs available yet that are specifically targeted for enteroviruses, but there are drugs/supplements that have antiviral effects against various enteroviruses such as those listed here.

I had high hopes for fluoxetine, since it was recently discovered as anti-coxsackievirus (a coxsackievirus is likely what causes my recurring myocarditis). I was quite confident that I could evaluate whether it had any effect on my symptoms, but the experiment was a failure. After reading some articles, it turned out I would probably need a dosage of 40-80 mg to reach concentrations for viral inhibition. At these dosages, side effects became so obvious that it was impossible to filter out CFS/ME symptoms from all the side effects. The maximum dosage I could tolerate was 10 mg, which almost certainly is not enough for any viral inhibition.

Hip

There are no drugs available yet that are specifically targeted for enteroviruses

Dr John Chia is always encouraging pharmaceutical companies to look into developing anti-enterovirus drugs, but it can take 15 years to develop and bring to market a new pharmaceutical.

Ideally you want a drug that can fully eliminate enterovirus from the body, not just control the infection (like the new hepatis C virus drugs, which full eliminate this virus after a short course of treatment).

We also need to develop a coxsackievirus B and echovirus vaccine. Routine vaccination of the population against these viruses has the potential for preventing most new cases of ME/CFS, assuming that Dr Chia is right that enterovirus is the main cause of ME/CFS (it would not prevent the ME/CFS cases triggered by Epstein-Barr virus, but I think EBV-triggered ME/CFS is much less common).

What's more, coxsackievirus B has been linked to triggering type 1 diabetes, so such a vaccine might help eliminate this disease.

And it has been found that 40% of patients who died suddenly from myocardial infarction have post-mortem evidence of enteroviral infection in their hearts. Given that there are around 225,000 fatal heart attacks per year in the US,1 that could mean that enterovirus infection kills 90,000 people per year in the US alone. A vaccine against this virus could thus potentially save 90,000 lives every year.

frederic83

Very sad as well, because although all this worldwide effort was rapidly dedicated to XMRV (which turned out to be a fiasco), so far, nobody has yet shown any interest in replicating Dr John Chia's groundbreaking discovery of enterovirus infection in the stomachs of most ME/CFS patients. Chia's paper was published over 10 years ago, yet nobody has taken any interest in replicating these remarkable results.

That is a very interesting point here. Maybe it has been discusses before. Someone has an explication why the XMRV story was taken so seriously while other triggers of CFS take years or decades to be investigated? Is it because XMRV is a retrovirus and retrovirus are more sexy?

Hip

Someone has an explication why the XMRV story was taken so seriously while other triggers of CFS take years or decades to be investigated? Is it because XMRV is a retrovirus and retrovirus are more sexy?

It is a good question.

I think part of the answer may be the way human beings think: they want a simple cause-and-effect relationship, like a specific virus that causes the specific disease of ME/CFS. So the idea that XMRV might be the singular cause of ME/CFS is attractive because of its simplicity.

In science, there is always the feeling that the answer ultimately will be a simple and beautiful one.

But when you have a situation where viruses like enterovirus and EBV appear to trigger ME/CFS now and then in some people, but not in general, then that creates messy complexity and a multifactorial etiology that is harder to fathom and understand. So maybe scientists are not attracted to researching that, because it seems messy, complex and ugly.

However, it could well be that there is a simple explanation. For example, it could be that ME/CFS only occurs when an enterovirus infection is able to break into certain tissue compartments, such as the brain, or such as immune organs like the thymus or spleen.

That might explain why Dr Chia has found that patients who are inadvertently given immunosuppressive corticosteroids during an acute enterovirus infection are at increased risk for developing ME/CFS: the immunosuppression may allow enterovirus to penetrate deeper into the body, and break into tissue compartments like the brain that it might not usually infected, thereby triggering ME/CFS.

asleep

It's an interesting theory, but I wonder if contaminated vaccines were really the root cause behind CFS/ME, wouldn't science have established this causative relationship by now? If this retrovirus were the driving factor behind CFS/ME, one would think that at least a subset of patients would start to feel symptoms pretty soon after the vaccine had been given (at least those patients that already have co-infections). I don't believe this kind of reaction to a vaccine could happen without it becoming public knowledge.

To give an example, in 2009 a Vaccine called Pandemrix was introduced to Europe in order to treat the swine flu outbreak. Hundreds of thousands of people quickly got vaccinated in my country (Finland). Unfortunately, it turned out that this vaccine had a rare side effect, which would trigger narcolepsy in children with a certain genetic mutation. The occurrence of this was minimal (3.6 per 100 000), nevertheless, an investigation was launched by Finnish authorities and the link was established.

Based on above, if something like severe CFS/ME was triggered by vaccines in my country, and assuming that it's not as rare as the narcolepsy case above, I have little doubt that it would be public knowledge by now. Even if science was reluctant to investigate this, there would have been reports in newspapers about a subset of vaccinated people becoming sick with CFS/ME, just like there was in this much rarer narcolepsy case.

Perhaps this was not clear, but the hypothesis isn't claiming that outbreaks tend to happen at the point of vaccination. Contaminated vaccine lots would introduce smoldering, subclinical retroviral infections into the population. As shown by HIV and HTLV, most people don't show acute symptoms upon initial infection, and when they do the symptoms are rather general (fever, etc).

So no, I wouldn't expect many patients to descend into ME/CFS soon after vaccination (though that's not to say some don't, in particular as is reported with Hep B vaccine, since it can trigger acute immune activation).

However, once a retroviral contaminant (that resides in immune cells and proliferates via clonal expansion) had been introduced into the population, an "outbreak" of ME/CFS could emerge from an outbreak of any acute infection that triggers retroviral proliferation through immune activation (e.g. enterovirus, EBV, CMV, etc). Hence, while most of the population recovers from said acute infection, those with a smoldering retroviral infection have their immune systems sent into tailspin.

The ordering of events is important as well. Having an existing "co-infection" at the point of vaccine contamination wouldn't necessarily be problematic. Having latent retroviral infection at the point of acute immune activation via co-infection would.

The problem with looking primarily at enteroviruses/EBV/etc is that there is a gaping hole these hypotheses: why do the vast majority of people recover yet a small percentage descend into ME/CFS? At best, enteroviruses/EBV/etc are necessary but not sufficient. And they don't even appear to be necessary, given gradual onset cases and apparent variability in type of triggering infection. This hypothesis would fill that hole.

Not really, because for adults who develop ME/CFS in outbreaks of ME/CFS, because people move around, these adults would likely have grown up in a different part of the county, so where they were vaccinated as a child would have likely been a completely different geographic location to the outbreak; and furthermore, adults of different ages would have been vaccinated in different years or decades. So there would be no batch of vaccine common to those who develop ME/CFS in an outbreak.

There are numerous reasons why this is wrong or irrelevant:

Firstly, unless most outbreaks affected large percentages of the relevant populations, then movements of people wouldn't be problematic. Most outbreaks, esp the notable ones, appear to have been relatively small fractions of the population due to the fact that these outbreaks were only noticed by careful observation of clinicians who saw patterns emerge among patients.

Secondly, the outbreaks appear to have been most prevalent in the mid-1900s and petered out by the 1990s in inverse relation to increasing movements of population over time. To my knowledge there have not been many documented outbreaks in the past couple decades (though I'll leave it to those who like to invoke variants of "if XYZ were really happening, science would surely know!" to explain this apparent lack of recent outbreaks).

Thirdly, many outbreaks occurred in situations where people would have been similarly vaccinated: hospitals, schools, psych wards, small isolated communities.

Can you explain why you are only focusing on retroviruses? Is it because when government sponsored TV adverts warning about AIDS first appeared in the late 1980s, they created a sense of dread about retroviruses — a strong fear that has lodged in the collective psyche?

Why not other types of virus? The only virus I am aware of that passed from animals to humans through vaccines is SV40, which is a polyomavirus, not a retrovirus. If you look at this list of pathogens that are associated with various chronic diseases, there are very few retroviruses in that list. You find lots of herpes family viruses in that list, lots of enteroviruses, parvovirus, and various bacteria; but very few retroviruses.

And if it is a retrovirus you are focusing on (or fearful about), why should it have been transmitted via vaccines? Why not transmitted via contact with animals, as HIV is thought to have crossed into humans? Or why not a retrovirus that has been present in the human species for many millennia, such as the HTLV retrovirus?

Anything can seem arbitrary from a standpoint of ignorance. You freely cite the consensus narrative versions of the XMRV and older retrovirus (e.g. DeFreitas) sagas without apparent understanding of how and why these associations arose and why many people are displeased with the questionable science propping up these narratives.

For one thing, XMRV was found while conducting a broad search for any and all known viral evidence. For another, once found, it was not seen as surprising or arbitrary. Researchers familiar with retroviral infections and the pathophysiology of ME/CFS have long noted how numerous aspects of ME/CFS point to retroviral involvement: depletion of NK cells, cytokine patterns, neurotoxicity of certain retroviral proteins, associations with rare cancers, explanation for the positive effects of B cell depletion (Rituximab), etc.

Here is a tangentially involved researcher expressing her dismay at this very idea: that all roads lead to Rome (retrovirus), yet Rome was prematurely and unscientifically decided not to exist.

But never mind, you're right. I'm interested in retroviral involvement because I saw a poster of HIV in the 80s and have been quivering in fear ever since.

In any case, if there were a retrovirus involved in ME/CFS etiology, the first thing to do would be to find that in ME/CFS patients. Later you can worry about where that retrovirus came from.

This sounds oddly like plea bargaining, like you have some pressing need to pre-vindicate vaccinations before even considering the hypothesis. Sure, there are numerous way to approach this, but the source of contamination is somewhat vital to the hypothesis.

Not discarded, but treated with caution, perhaps in part in case it generates another wave of retrovirus religious fervor in the ME/CFS community, like the high emotions surrounding the XMRV story. And as we know with previous retrovirus discoveries in ME/CFS patients, the initial findings may not pan out when further research is performed.

Unless he's published this data or in is in the process of publishing it, then by definition it has been discarded. You can rationalize it how you like, but science doesn't proceed by individuals acting as judge, jury and executioner, regardless their pedigree.

It is a good question.

I think part of the answer may be the way human beings think: they want a simple cause-and-effect relationship, like a specific virus that causes the specific disease of ME/CFS. So the idea that XMRV might be the singular cause of ME/CFS is attractive because of its simplicity.

In science, there is always the feeling that the answer ultimately will be a simple and beautiful one.

But when you have a situation where viruses like enterovirus and EBV appear to trigger ME/CFS now and then in some people, but not in general, then that creates messy complexity and a multifactorial etiology that is harder to fathom and understand. So maybe scientists are not attracted to researching that, because it seems messy, complex and ugly.

However, it could well be that there is a simple explanation. For example, it could be that ME/CFS only occurs when an enterovirus infection is able to break into certain tissue compartments, such as the brain, or such as immune organs like the thymus or spleen.

That might explain why Dr Chia has found that patients who are inadvertently given immunosuppressive corticosteroids during an acute enterovirus infection are at increased risk for developing ME/CFS: the immunosuppression may allow enterovirus to penetrate deeper into the body, and break into tissue compartments like the brain that it might not usually infected, thereby triggering ME/CFS.

I've never understood this insistence upon things being inherently and insurmountably complex. It's like giving up before even starting. Clearly there will not be a single cause/explanation for all people who fall under the vague ME/CFS umbrella. But there will necessarily be subsets who do share common causes that will appear "simple" once they are elucidated.

Understanding begets simplicity, due to the high level discernment of basic necessary and sufficient conditions. Nor does simplicity preclude complexity in underlying details: the hypothesis I've put forth allows for great complexity in that regard.

Furthermore, all "understood" diseases have simple high-level explanations: HIV=AIDS, etc. Do you run around proclaiming that these are "too simple" to be of any value? By your logic, HIV cannot cause AIDS because it's too simple.

Regarding Dr. Chia's observation about steroids, this link discusses how steroids promote retroviral replication, in particular gamma retroviruses.

Hip

The problem with looking primarily at enteroviruses/EBV/etc is that there is a gaping hole these hypotheses: why do the vast majority of people recover yet a small percentage descend into ME/CFS? At best, enteroviruses/EBV/etc are necessary but not sufficient.

As I already mentioned, you have the same situation with poliovirus: 90% of people who catch poliovirus show no symptoms at all. Only in 0.5% of cases of infection with poliovirus does it cause the paralysis of poliomyelitis, and sometimes death. Nobody would claim that poliovirus does not cause poliomyelitis just because the virus is asymptomatic in 90% of cases.

Now, studies have shown that 9% of people who have mononucleosis will go on to develop ME/CFS. That is a pretty clear link between ME/CFS and EBV (or cytomegalovirus, because sometimes mono is caused by cytomegalovirus, not EBV). Thus I don't think there can be any doubt that EBV / cytomegalovirus can trigger ME/CFS.

And they don't even appear to be necessary, given gradual onset cases and apparent variability in type of triggering infection.

Gradual onset does not mean there was no acute triggering infection involved; it just means that from the time of that acute infection, it took several months before the symptoms of ME/CFS appear. This contrasts to rapid onset, in which the symptoms of ME/CFS appear within days of the acute infection.

Thirdly, many outbreaks occurred in situations where people would have been similarly vaccinated: hospitals, schools, psych wards, small isolated communities.

Not really, because as I mentioned, different age groups of people would be vaccinated on different years or even different decades, so would not receive the same batch of vaccine.

However, there must be a reason that these outbreaks are localized. People living, studying or working in the same building can be exposed to common environmental factors, such as a moldy environment. Mold has been linked to ME/CFS.

In the case of the Royal Free Hospital, there was Legionella contamination of the water supply at the time of the viral outbreak. These environmental factors could act in tandem with the virus, triggering ME/CFS only in combination. That would explain why the local epidemic at the Royal Free Hospital did not explode across the whole of London.

outbreaks appear to have been most prevalent in the mid-1900s and petered out by the 1990s in inverse relation to increasing movements of population over time. To my knowledge there have not been many documented outbreaks in the past couple decades

That is actually an interesting point. I also have not heard of any more recent ME/CFS epidemics, apart from those in this list which ends in 1990 (although note that this list comes from a book by Dr Byron Hyde published in 1992).

Another interesting issue is why there was an apparent fivefold to eightfold global increase in the incidence of ME from 1980 to 1989 — see this thread.

Unless he's published this data or in is in the process of publishing it, then by definition it has been discarded.

So in your dictionary, "discarded" means "has not been published in a scientific journal"? I should think he will first want to check that there are no errors in his results before publishing them. This area of ME/CFS retrovirus research is fraught with false findings that were published too quickly before they were double checked and properly validated. Nobody wants to start another false alarm, especially as anything to do with retroviruses seems to create an sort of religious fervor among ME/CFS patients, which is the last thing you need when you are trying to conduct a calm rationale scientific investigation.

This sounds oddly like plea bargaining, like you have some pressing need to pre-vindicate vaccinations before even considering the hypothesis. Sure, there are numerous way to approach this, but the source of contamination is somewhat vital to the hypothesis.

I have no such pressing needs. I don't want to vindicate vaccinations; in fact I am quite interested in why vaccinations, particularly hepatitis B vaccine, have been linked to triggering ME/CFS. Of course there are millions of vaccinations given without ill effect, but nevertheless, when they do appear to precipitate disease, there should be some investigation.

I find the ideas of Dr Yehuda Shoenfeld interesting; he thinks the immune stimulating adjuvant used in vaccines may be responsible. He points out that the only vaccine which has never been associated with triggering autoimmune diseases is Pneumovax, which just so happens to be the only vaccine that does not contain any adjuvants.

But never mind, you're right. I'm interested in retroviral involvement because I saw a poster of HIV in the 80s and have been quivering in fear ever since.

Well if you don't subscribe to my idea of the 1980's HIV ads affecting the public, what is your view on why retrovirus etiologies of ME/CFS seem to attract interest from conspiracy theorists? There must be some explanation.

You freely cite the consensus narrative versions of the XMRV and older retrovirus (e.g. DeFreitas) sagas without apparent understanding of how and why these associations arose and why many people are displeased with the questionable science propping up these narratives.

I am quite familiar with the XMRV story, as I lived through the whole debacle. What kind of deeper understanding and scientific insight into this are you claiming to possess?

But you did avoid my question, about why you are focusing solely only on retroviruses, and not on the many other theories, some infectious, some non-infectious, on the cause of ME/CFS. Are you not interested in for example the new autoimmune etiologies of ME/CFS than the rituximab trials appear to have discovered?

Last edited:

Justin30

The way I see it entero and retroviruses need to be explored.

Chia is the only one looking at enteroviruses. Its resiculous ID Drs and CDC have failed in regard to this area.....polio an enterovirus....resulted in the devastation of some people just like ME.

The retrovirus theory is is still not dismissed by some and some hold strong to this theory...

ME is likely not CFS in my eyes and this is several disease....ranging from encephalopathy to Mito diseases...

Time for Medical Proffession, Schools, Government and Poloticians to step up and do something.

There is good happening but what happened with ME is one of the most inhumane acts in the last 70 yrs or more.....I am disgusted thinking about it....especially when u see documnetaries of the severely ill....

ARVs are potent and have been tried...who knows if they work we have know clue what these diseases are yet..

halcyon

I also have not heard of any more recent ME/CFS epidemics, apart from those in this list which ends in 1990
I've found it interesting that the well published outbreaks stop within two years of the creation of Holmes CFS. I'm guessing this trivialization of ME might have had something to do with it.

Well if you don't subscribe to my idea of the 1980's HIV ads affecting the public, what is your view on why retrovirus etiologies of ME/CFS seem to attract interest from conspiracy theorists? There must be some explanation.
I think the reason why the retrovirus theories cause such fervor is because it would be the smoking gun that everyone wants it to be. A single novel pathogen as the cause of CFS.

Hip

I've found it interesting that the well published outbreaks stop within two years of the creation of Holmes CFS. I'm guessing this trivialization of ME might have had something to do with it.

That could well be a factor: as ME was manipulated to make it look like an "all in the mind" psychologically-caused condition they named as "CFS", then outbreaks or clusters of ME cases that appear say among hospital staff or at a school, as a result of an ME-triggering virus going around, are perhaps more likely to be seen as just a "bad attitude" or "low morale," ie, seen as a state of mind, rather than an underlying biological illness.

That said, there could be some environmental factors that have changed since 1990, that reduce the chances of a local outbreak occurring.

I am glad that @asleep brought this point up, because I have to admit I had never really noticed this before.

If it is really the case that no new outbreaks of ME/CFS have occurred since 1990, then something quite significant happened around that time, because as I mentioned earlier, by 1990, there had also been an fivefold to eightfold global increase in the incidence of ME (see here).

So around 1990, the sporadic cases of ME/CFS appearing in the general population had dramatically risen, yet at the same time, the ME/CFS outbreaks had apparently vanished.

Time to put our collective thinking hat on for that conundrum.

asleep

As I already mentioned, you have the same situation with poliovirus: 90% of people who catch poliovirus show no symptoms at all. Only in 0.5% of cases of infection with poliovirus does it cause the paralysis of poliomyelitis, and sometimes death. Nobody would claim that poliovirus does not cause poliomyelitis just because the virus is asymptomatic in 90% of cases.

Now, studies have shown that 9% of people who have mononucleosis will go on to develop ME/CFS. That is a pretty clear link between ME/CFS and EBV (or cytomegalovirus, because sometimes mono is caused by cytomegalovirus, not EBV). Thus I don't think there can be any doubt that EBV / cytomegalovirus can trigger ME/CFS.

Again, I'm not disputing that EBV/enterovirus/CMV/etc can trigger ME/CFS. But their role is clearly not sufficient and probably not necessary (at least individually, since these "triggers" appear to be fungible).

The polio example doesn't change any of this. Polio is necessary for (polio-associated) paralysis or death but clearly not sufficient, otherwise anyone who contracted polio would suffer these fates. What is of interest is why this small fraction is affected so severely. To my knowledge the scientific community doesn't know why yet seems satisfied with this state of ignorance. (To be clear, explanations such as "polio invades the nervous system in such cases" partially explains "how" it affects these people not "why" it happens to them and not others). Citing one example of accepted ignorance (polio) doesn't justify other examples (EBV, etc) unless the goal is to maintain ignorance.

Gradual onset does not mean there was no acute triggering infection involved; it just means that from the time of that acute infection, it took several months before the symptoms of ME/CFS appear. This contrasts to rapid onset, in which the symptoms of ME/CFS appear within days of the acute infection.

The idea that gradual onset always involves an "acute infection" appears to be an unsubstantiated assumption to me. And even if that were true it doesn't invalidate my hypothesis.

Not really, because as I mentioned, different age groups of people would be vaccinated on different years or even different decades, so would not receive the same batch of vaccine.

However, there must be a reason that these outbreaks are localized. People living, studying or working in the same building can be exposed to common environmental factors, such as a moldy environment. Mold has been linked to ME/CFS.

In the case of the Royal Free Hospital, there was Legionella contamination of the water supply at the time of the viral outbreak. These environmental factors could act in tandem with the virus, triggering ME/CFS only in combination. That would explain why the local epidemic at the Royal Free Hospital did not explode across the whole of London.

So are you claiming that there have never been vaccination drives, new vaccine rollouts, or changes in vaccine mandates and/or administration approaches that result in diverse groups being vaccinated in common? And as I mentioned, most of these outbreaks were small (but noticeable) subpopulations. Your point only becomes problematic as these outbreak groups approach substantial portions of the relevant populations.

The hospital-centric outbreaks (LA, Royal Free, etc) always seem to have occurred predominantly among staff, especially nurses. These are subpopulations that are aggressively vaccinated, often all at once. If virus + Legionella caused ME/CFS at Royal Free, did the patients drink different, uncontaminated water? How did they magically avoid this confluence of factors?

Furthermore, if virus + Legionella were sufficient to explain the Royal Free outbreak then we would be forced to conclude that this is the only well-documented case where these factors collided as any similar instance should also have resulted in an outbreak. This seems highly unlikely. Same with mold + acute virus.

So in your dictionary, "discarded" means "has not been published in a scientific journal"? I should think he will first want to check that there are no errors in his results before publishing them. This area of ME/CFS retrovirus research is fraught with false findings that were published too quickly before they were double checked and properly validated. Nobody wants to start another false alarm, especially as anything to do with retroviruses seems to create an sort of religious fervor among ME/CFS patients, which is the last thing you need when you are trying to conduct a calm rationale scientific investigation.

In short, as it pertains to scientific inquiry, yes. It is deeply problematic to have one individual decide unilaterally what data is "erroneous" or "invalid" and what is worthy of publishing. This is especially true when this same individual presided over the effective termination of this entire line of inquiry (through what I see as a severely flawed study). All data should be made publicly available for the larger community to consider.

It amuses me how some people are all too willing to abandon scientific integrity when doing so reinforces their preexisting beliefs yet simultaneously accuse those who insist upon such integrity as possessing "religious fervor." A spectacular failure of insight.

I am quite familiar with the XMRV story, as I lived through the whole debacle. What kind of deeper understanding and scientific insight into this are you claiming to possess?

But you did avoid my question, about why you are focusing solely only on retroviruses, and not on the many other theories, some infectious, some non-infectious, on the cause of ME/CFS. Are you not interested in for example the new autoimmune etiologies of ME/CFS than the rituximab trials appear to have discovered?

I'm claiming the ability to discern rational, logical, empirically-sound argument from that which is fallacious. I'm not swayed by arguments built upon appeals to authority, ad hominem or other irrationalities, which inevitably comprise the bulk of argument levied against retroviral hypotheses (e.g. your rationalization of Lipkin's unscientific actions; your need to throw around loaded phrases like "conspiracy theorist" and "religious fervor" incessantly). Thus I don't simply take scientists and their conclusions at face value, esp when they depart from rationality.

Also, I'm not solely focused on retroviruses. I just happen to devote most of my time spent commenting on them because a) I see them as possessing the most explanatory power and b) they seem to attract bizarre, knee-jerk denialism not seen in discussions of other etiologies. I recognize that there will be multiple causes under the ME/CFS umbrella thus I maintain a "live and let live" approach to all viable hypotheses even when I think they are flawed. What I won't stand for is irrational and unsubstantiated termination of viable etiological investigation.

JES

The ordering of events is important as well. Having an existing "co-infection" at the point of vaccine contamination wouldn't necessarily be problematic. Having latent retroviral infection at the point of acute immune activation via co-infection would.

I don't see why it wouldn't be equally problematic the other way around. If you have a weakened immune system to begin with, either due to genetics or co-infections, or simply because of old age, then at least some people should fall into ME shortly after vaccination, and it would become public knowledge that a subset of the population got sick from these vaccines. As I quoted in my earlier post, in the case of the swine flu vaccine, even the minimal increase in narcolepsy was identified by local health authorities to be caused by this particular Pandemrix vaccine.

Also, I'm not solely focused on retroviruses. I just happen to devote most of my time spent commenting on them because a) I see them as possessing the most explanatory power and b) they seem to attract bizarre, knee-jerk denialism not seen in discussions of other etiologies.

Google any CFS/ME community threads from around 2010 and you will find that the whole community went nuts with the XMRV theory, you'll be lucky to find a single skeptical post. Suddenly almost everyone with ME (including some forum posters I considered very intelligent) became "XMRV positive" and sought treatment for it, it escalated completely. I see the parallels to some Lyme disease forums, where every new member becomes Lyme positive once they are referred to the right lab or doctor. Both retroviruses and Lyme seems to attract this kind of mass hysteria and conspiracy theories, which doesn't help the community in attracting any serious researchers. This is IMO a way bigger problem than some retrovirus denialism, which frankly I've seen nothing of here. I'd also argue that the default position should always be skeptical against any new findings until they have been rigorously proven by following the scientific process.

Actually, if we go by simplicity, the simpler theory is that of no retrovirus involved; that is, it would mostly be a matter of genetics who gets ME following infection with one of these common viruses. We already know that other neuroimmune diseases like MS have genetic and ethnic risk factors, which significantly increases the likelihood of getting the disease, and there is also evidence that EBV infection is required to get MS (link). In this theory there is no necessary requirement for an underlying retrovirus infection. To get sick would just require the trigger infection and the genetic susceptibility, both of which we already know are proven disease factors.

Hugo

I don't see why it wouldn't be equally problematic the other way around. If you have a weakened immune system to begin with, either due to genetics or co-infections, or simply because of old age, then at least some people should fall into ME shortly after vaccination, and it would become public knowledge that a subset of the population got sick from these vaccines. As I quoted in my earlier post, in the case of the swine flu vaccine, even the minimal increase in narcolepsy was identified by local health authorities to be caused by this particular Pandemrix vaccine.

Google any CFS/ME community threads from around 2010 and you will find that the whole community went nuts with the XMRV theory, you'll be lucky to find a single skeptical post. Suddenly almost everyone with ME (including some forum posters I considered very intelligent) became "XMRV positive" and sought treatment for it, it escalated completely. I see the parallels to some Lyme disease forums, where every new member becomes Lyme positive once they are referred to the right lab or doctor. Both retroviruses and Lyme seems to attract this kind of mass hysteria and conspiracy theories, which doesn't help the community in attracting any serious researchers. This is IMO a way bigger problem than some retrovirus denialism, which frankly I've seen nothing of here. I'd also argue that the default position should always be skeptical against any new findings until they have been rigorously proven by following the scientific process.

Actually, if we go by simplicity, the simpler theory is that of no retrovirus involved; that is, it would mostly be a matter of genetics who gets ME following infection with one of these common viruses. We already know that other neuroimmune diseases like MS have genetic and ethnic risk factors, which significantly increases the likelihood of getting the disease, and there is also evidence that EBV infection is required to get MS (link). In this theory there is no necessary requirement for an underlying retrovirus infection. To get sick would just require the trigger infection and the genetic susceptibility, both of which we already know are proven disease factors.

I never thought it was a retrovirus but I guess a lot of people with ME liked when ME was explained by a biological reason in a huge scientific paper even though this had the "silver bullet" warning written all over it. Nothing strange in that really.

Its a lot of foolishness in lyme communities by some and the worst I ever heard was that lyme was created by the military (unfornatly people like that is like a certain candidate for beeing president in a certain country, they talk loud and dont listen to reason).

They are ofc destructive for lyme because its a very serious illness and we dont need that. But on the other hand ME theories are many and some are very wacky to say the least. Lyme have very serious, neurological and painfull symptoms and many times get worse and worse and for me more aggressive than my ME ever was before so I can very much understand why it can get people very scared. Even an established illness like MS have a lot of scared people in forums having theories that seems rather unrealistic. I guess its because if you have progressive MS, healthcare cant help you much and it just get worse so you become desperate.

In my country there are a lot of defender of science that mock both ME and lyme and say that they are just are in our minds. They have some studies to back that up, utter noncense studies but if you dont have the illness they could seem as credible as the studies we refer to. This kind of lack of respect, research and lack of help in healthcare can lead to stucking to a theory for someone who is ill, especially if its progressive in nature. Who knows sometimes that mindset could be helpful to just find something to hold on to.

Last edited:

Hip

the whole community went nuts with the XMRV theory, you'll be lucky to find a single skeptical post. Suddenly almost everyone with ME (including some forum posters I considered very intelligent) became "XMRV positive" and sought treatment for it, it escalated completely.

Indeed. Some of the latecomers missed the XMRV party.

@asleep, all the exuberance of the XMRV party you can still find on the hundreds of XMRV threads in the XMRV sub-forums of PR:

Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV
XMRV Testing, Treatment and Transmission
XMRV Research and Replication Studies

Again, I'm not disputing that EBV/enterovirus/CMV/etc can trigger ME/CFS. But their role is clearly not sufficient and probably not necessary (at least individually, since these "triggers" appear to be fungible).

A lot of researchers have dismissed these viruses on the grounds that they are not a sufficient condition for developing ME/CFS; I personally think that is shortsighted, and that's why I gave the example of poliovirus infection not being a sufficient condition for developing poliomyelitis. Likewise, HIV infection is not a sufficient condition for developing AIDS, because we know some people are genetically immune to getting AIDS even when chronically infected with HIV.

The polio example doesn't change any of this. Polio is necessary for (polio-associated) paralysis or death but clearly not sufficient, otherwise anyone who contracted polio would suffer these fates. What is of interest is why this small fraction is affected so severely. To my knowledge the scientific community doesn't know why yet seems satisfied with this state of ignorance. (To be clear, explanations such as "polio invades the nervous system in such cases" partially explains "how" it affects these people not "why" it happens to them and not others). Citing one example of accepted ignorance (polio) doesn't justify other examples (EBV, etc) unless the goal is to maintain ignorance.

You don't seem to be following the logic of my comments. I gave the example of poliovirus to show that a virus can still be the exogenous factor singularly responsible for triggering a disease, even if that virus does not cause the disease in most people.

As for why poliovirus only causes poliomyelitis in a small subset of people, according to this article:
by blocking the activity of quinolinic acid, all the damage resulting from poliomyelitis can be prevented
Quinolinic acid is a potent neurotoxin, and thus I guess it is possible that patients who synthesize higher levels of quinolinic acid in response to poliovirus infection are the ones who develop nerve damage and paralysis.

The idea that gradual onset always involves an "acute infection" appears to be an unsubstantiated assumption to me.

I did not mean to suggest that it does. Some people do have gradual onset with no memory of having any infection, so quite possibly there are non-viral onsets (though note that infections can initially be asymptomatic, so not observing any acute infection symptoms does not guarantee that you did not pick up a virus).

In short, as it pertains to scientific inquiry, yes. It is deeply problematic to have one individual decide unilaterally what data is "erroneous" or "invalid" and what is worthy of publishing.

It's his research, and entirely up to him when he wants to publish.It is the duty of scientists to be thorough and double check everything. It will probably be published in due course. Lipkin informally announced his results in 2013, before publishing a paper (which is still not published, as far as I am aware). These results were not just about a possible retrovirus, but were part of a study using high throughput sequencing to search for viruses, bacteria and parasites in ME/CFS patients.

Details of his informally announced study can be found in this article. Lipkin said they found evidence of retroviruses in 85% of the ME/CFS blood samples. However, Lipkin said this:
“It is very difficult at this point to know whether or not this is clinically significant. And given the previous experience with retroviruses in Chronic Fatigue, I am going to be very clear in telling you – although I am reporting this at present – in Professor Montoya’s samples neither he nor we have concluded that there is a relationship to disease …if I were to place bets and speculate, I would say that this is not going to pan out.”

They also found found anelloviruses in 75% of the ME/CFS blood samples. Anellovirus is a recently discovered family of viruses.

One virus in the anellovirus family, torque teno virus (TTV), has been found at higher levels in lupus patients; it is hypothesized TTV might be able to trigger autoimmune conditions like lupus, or play a pathogenic role in autoimmune diseases.

What I won't stand for is irrational and unsubstantiated termination of viable etiological investigation.

An investigation can only be terminated once is had started. But you have offered very little in terms of scientific comments on retroviruses. I'd like to have a scientific discussion, but it has not started yet.

Here is a question for you: if you think ME/CFS might be caused by a retrovirus, do also think other chronic diseases of unclear etiology are likely caused by their own retrovirus? For example, do you think lupus, multiple sclerosis, motor neuron diseases, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Crohn's disease, irritable bowel syndrome, etc are all caused by their own retrovirus?

If so, then that's a lot of undiscovered retroviruses. If not, if you think only ME/CFS is likely caused by a retrovirus, why only that disease, and not the others?

Last edited:

Justin30

So around 1990, the sporadic cases of ME/CFS appearing in the general population had dramatically risen, yet at the same time, the ME/CFS outbreaks had apparently vanished.

Could this just be that outbreaks are now not recognized based on the stigmatizim of ME/CFS as it is still live and well?

I personally think they may have something to do with it.

Further maybe because of newer testing and people seeking verified DXs they fo unnoticed or ignored.

Many other diseases in the Auroimmune category are alive and well, alongvwith cancers and other weird stuff so outbreaks could just be put into another disease, current symtom flare, etc.

Just a thought

Justin30

One last note is that many disease can look like ME.

I personally think there is a massive amount of un DXd mild encepholopathies that result in much of ME.

Sorry for going off topic.

sorin

For HIV/AIDS patients the lymphoid tissue in the digestive tube is destroyed, thus the bacteria invade the blood and produce infections. This looks familiar for people with CFS?
If yes, a question for people who deny that there is any relation between HIV/retroviruses and CFS: What other diseases than HIV and CFS present the symptom described above?

JES

For HIV/AIDS patients the lymphoid tissue in the digestive tube is destroyed, thus the bacteria invade the blood and produce infections. This looks familiar for people with CFS?
If yes, a question for people who deny that there is any relation between HIV/retroviruses and CFS: What other diseases than HIV and CFS present the symptom described above?

Can you be more specific what you mean by "symptom"? Do you mean which diseases have blood infections involved? Wikipedia lists 217 diseases (link) which are infectious.

It is not so much that everyone here denies the vague possibility of a retrovirus involved in CFS/ME. The point is that it's your task to prove this is the case and you have failed to do so, actually you haven't even presented a theory. Until we have the evidence, as in any kind of published scientific paper at all, retroviruses remain a far-fetched possibility, currently much behind other CFS/ME theories like autoimmunity.

sorin

Can you be more specific what you mean by "symptom"? Do you mean which diseases have blood infections involved? Wikipedia lists 217 diseases (link) which are infectious.
I did not refer to blood infections but to lymphatic tissue of the digestive tube being destroyed. How many diseases present this?