• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone had the 2nd AstraZenica jab after a bad experience with the first? (and what was the effect?)

Guwop2

Hello all, Just an update here. After 14 weeks im feeling much better after having had an awful time with the Astra Zenica vaccine. I saw a chinese herbalist and they gave me some medicine that seemed to accelerate my recovery, and now I can walk again (my reponse was different to my usual M.E symptoms - I suspect I had the equivalent of long covid). Im back to about 80% of baseline health. Now im reckoning with the decision of whether to get the 2nd dose. I am able to get AZ again, or Pfizer - mixing vaccines is now available in the UK. Has anyone here tried this?

I consulted the poll here on vaccnine responses, but the numbers dont really add up. 2 questions referring to the same (first) vaccine shot elicited reponses from 6868 and 2099 people respectively - it's not clear why (and these discrepencies are accross the board - plus hardly anyone seemed to go for the second AZ dose, so the numbers there are pretty meaningless) Regardless, am still no closer to knowing whether I should risk triggering the illness so badly again, it could be worse the seocnd time..

Rufous McKinney

I saw a chinese herbalist and they gave me some medicine that seemed to accelerate my recovery,

congrats, you found some help there!

Regardless, am still no closer to knowing whether I should risk triggering the illness so badly again, it could be worse the seocnd time.

its really hard to know what to do....only you can decide.

Do you have alot of exterior exposure to germs, generally? that might be a factor to consider.

There is growing evidence that ivermectin can be taken prophylacally, reducing dramatically the risk of getting COVID at all. However, ivermectin seems largely unavailable. Even tho its very available.

My husband got a serious staph infection after j and j (unrelated, they said, OH? i say )

I don't know what to do, so I stay home, which I cannot do forever.

ljimbo423

Regardless, am still no closer to knowing whether I should risk triggering the illness so badly again, it could be worse the seocnd time..

To be honest, I don't know what I would do in your shoes.

Maybe you could sit with how you feel about getting the second shot and see if that feels right. Then try doing the same with not getting the second shot.

I'm a firm believer that our intuition knows what's best.

godlovesatrier

I came to the conclusion that even of the vaccine knocked me back for 3 to 6 months due to ebv and possibly other viral re-activations, it was worthit because ultimately I won't end up in hospital with covid. But only you can decide.

Can you ride the next 3 years out with minimal contact with anyone - that's the big question really.

Booble

I came to the conclusion that even of the vaccine knocked me back for 3 to 6 months due to ebv and possibly other viral re-activations, it was worthit because ultimately I won't end up in hospital with covid. But only you can decide.

Can you ride the next 3 years out with minimal contact with anyone - that's the big question really.

I can ride out the next 3 years with minimal contact but I'm still nervous about vaccinated (J&J) husband bringing it home from the grocery store or other errands, even though he's super careful, masked, distanced and disinfected.

I might bite the bullet and get vaccinated. Cases are rising in my little community. :(
I really, really, really was hoping for new guidance based on what they have learned over the last 8 months of vaccines. I'm very disappointed that it's the original vaccination or nothing.

Guwop2

All true, except i'd expect the C-19 Vaccine to become more refined over the coming year/s (i.e. less aggressive). I had a battery of vaccines before travelling to Thailand in 2017 and didnt respond badly at all, these Vaccine's cause fairly strong reactions in even healthy people for long periods, whcih is something I suspect are creases to wrinkled out over time.
Prob will get AZ again, since the second does is apparently milder..but who's to say really, afaics this is word of mouth with zero scientific backing

Booble

The way I feel my intuition is a gentle pull in a specific direction, a very subtle "knowing". You make an excellent point though. It's often very difficult to know when intuition is making itself known.

I agree. I'm researching and researching and researching like crazy so that my intuition has what it needs to lead me in the right direction!

L'engle

moogle
Getting a second dose of Pfizer Biontech seems potentially better than getting a second Astra Zeneca. Might be worth considering, as the experts seem to be approving of the second dose being different now.

Guwop2

Getting a second dose of Pfizer Biontech seems potentially better than getting a second AstraZenica
Interesting, but what are you basing this on? Doesn’t appear to be any information or testimony by ME people trying this, unless I’ve missed something.

Guwop2

Oh yes, I know about the mixing thing, my doctor here in the UK offered it to me as an alternative. I was more referring to folks with ME getting it and their response, but i can't find any reliable data, or even personal testimony regarding it and I dont fancy being a test subject..better the devil you know and get the same one I had