• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone care to discuss Bladder Issues?

Wayne

I haven't been following this thread closely, but thought I'd share some self-treatment notes:

I had relatively minor IC symtoms for many years, which would wax and wane quite a bit. At times it did become quite uncomortable. A few years ago when I began experimenting with taking dilute amounts of chlorine dioxide (also known as MMS or CDS), I noticed my IC symptoms went away, and have never returned. I assume the CDS was able to somehow treat a low-level infection that was going on.

I've heard that one treatment that works for some bladder conditions / infections is to take large amounts of Vitamin C. Whatever the body doesn't use, it excretes through the urine. This allows for high concentrations of Vitamin C to build up in the bladder. Since it's a natural disinfectant, it has the potential to improve any kind of bladder infection.

Also, DMSO is "officially" recognized as a treatment for IC, and is used for that in mainstream medicine. I use DMSO frequently, usually applying it topically in conjunction with magnesium oil to my lower back for pain, and my neck area(s) for stiffness and inflammation. I also apply it on my eyelids after applying it to my back and/or neck, and have noticably improved eye function since starting that. -- I also apply DMSO to my lower abdomen and bladder area as a preventative every other day or so.

lenora

Could it be diabetes insipidus? Is there any increased thirst? I would say that this is fairly common in CFS because of partial destruction of the pituitary gland.

Prostate problems can affect urine flow.

That's interesting about the pituitary gland, Carl. Years upon years ago....probably 35 now, I began having "female issues" and went to my gynecologist. At the same time, my body was falling apart in almost every direction. Anyway, after performing a number of tests he told me that I had a pituitary tumor (and I thought it was the worst thing that could ever happen to me. Pffft....little did I know!). Anyway, as it turned out, no one else had ever heard of it nor could I find anything in the way of research. So I ended up reading this on your page, Carl. It's way too late, and more modern times have shown us that pituitary tumors are something real and occur with people with CFS/ME, and the fix was no big deal anyway...a prescription for a drug called bromocriptine, a drug that people took daily & I did for many years. It's gone now, probably b/c I'm in menopause. How little we really know of the body. Fascinating thing to study, isn't it? Yours, Lenora

Last edited by a moderator:

lenora

One of the reasons I started on gabapentin about 12 years ago was my hyperactive bladder. It felt the same as my other ME muscles: always tensed up, in a way I couldn't control voluntarily. Gabapentin worked very well to relax it, and my bladder wasn't nearly as bad when I came off the drug a year or so later – it felt as if the muscles had re-learned how to relax. Then the menopause happened...unfortunately, I now have a perfectly normal post-menopausal bladder (need to go every 45 bloody minutes! :lol:)

I've also had the experience of my brain losing contact with my bladder, so I couldn't empty it. I was sent to A&£ twice for this, with the doctor worried that I had cauda equina syndrome. I didn't; it was just arthritic lesions on my spine squishing the nerves. I've since found ways to help with that, but aggravated or compressed nerves apparently aren't uncommon in people with all kinds of low back problems, including normal ageing processes.

If it's really driving you crazy and you can tolerate gabapentin for a few months, it might be worth trying to see if you can re-set your brain's relationship with your bladder. I know some people hate this drug, but it worked for my bladder problems and then literally saved my sanity when I was having drenching sweats every four or five minutes during the menopause. I couldn't take HRT due to a family history of hormone-related breast cancer; the GP suggested that gabapentin had helped a couple of other patients, but didn't work for everyone. I was just one of the lucky ones, thank God. I took it for three years, by which time my menopause symptoms had calmed down to a more typical level (which is quite bad enough!)

Boy, Moof, I wish gabapentin had helped my menopausal symptoms (which still seem to be going strong at age 73; something else to look forward to). Just forget that I said that, as my own daughters don't it have that bad right in the midst of it. My daughters....in menopause?

Anyway, I wanted to suggest to you, like I did Rufous, that an osteopath may be the answer to a maiden's prayers when it comes to an irritated bladder. Perhaps your problems are both beyond it, but it's certainly worth a try. I had bladder problems for most of my life....I always had to have a bathroom in sight, and was constantly using one at home. My osteopath cured that the first time I ever saw one...just muscle activity, that was all. It's done by squeezing of muscles, nothing is inserted into the urethra, so it may be worth checking out. Now my husband could use one, but refuses to have anything done medically by anyone. Sometimes you simply have to know when to fold 'em. And I do.

It must get to be a real pest as you get older and it would be something I would like to do for someone else...if an osteopath can help with that, why not? Oh, they take Medicare (but check first) and will work on other problem areas for 30 min. Your neck isn't cracked if you particularly specify it. I've found them to be good people and really should see mine sometime soon. Yours, Lenora.

lenora

Oh, and I've had Pre-Diabetes (or thereabouts) which isn't any great fun, either. I did learn to control that with my food and it departed of its own accord. Still, you were testing all the time, having to gauge what you ate, etc., etc. You're very thirsty with it and yes, you do urinate a lot. Perhaps it is something to be checked out. Yours, Lenora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear @Mimicry, thanks for your reply, and I'm glad to know your problems greatly improved (if I undeestood correctly).
Consider that neuropathic burning and symptomps in the urinary tract are often (very often) caused by UTIs which don't need to come back. A few episodes are enough, if your nerves are already "sensible". The result could be a vulvodynia if you are a female, for example, or urethrodynia for males (which are far more sensible to UTI damages). They are just examples.

Drinking a lot helps not only urethra but also bladder: less concentrate urine reduces its fullness sensation.
Other things you could do (suggestions) are:
1. Evaluate urine's pH and, if too acid, correct it with bicarbonate, electrolytes, ..
2. You could try to change position frequently, to not push on the area.

At the end I agree: urethral burning, pain and razors are the worst thing ever, especially if you have them 24/24 and they can increase by 1000 times. I wasn't specific in my story but they can become deadly painful.
But I think everyone of us has his "weakness", depending on his situation.

If I can help, simply ask! A hug!

Rufous McKinney

Dear @Rufous McKinney, how are you now? I have a lot (but really aot!) of personal "experience" in urinary issues ... I could try to give you some suggestions, if you want.

Sorry you have this "extra" pesonnal experience!

My bladder has been relatively ok, all things considered. I"m just generally more run down due to guests being here...for the sequestration.

It just seems like I get one day, now and then to feel ok, and it just does not last. And that feeling of disappointed, again, that it just never seems to last...

Sorry you have this "extra" pesonnal experience!

My bladder has been relatively ok, all things considered. I"m just generally more run down due to guests being here...for the sequestration.

It just seems like I get one day, now and then to feel ok, and it just does not last. And that feeling of disappointed, again, that it just never seems to last...

I am glad it got better!!! Maybe it was some kind of overactive bladder or similar, which can improve over time ... Nothing severe for sure, as I.C. never goes away on its own, I would say.
My suggestions: pay attention to cold and heat, as they can worsen OB, as well as chocolate, pepper, coffee, alcool.

I hope this benefit will last!

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Here's the other odd thought: When my sodium levels get low, my bladder pain multiplies exponentially. It's a weird solution but I find if I skip my homemade electrolyte for a few days (who likes to drink salty water :vomit:) the pain starts getting really bad.

Just realized they actually make a product that some people have said their urologists recommend to them for this called Prerelief. It neutralizes the acid in foods that can trigger IC.

I wonder if that's the same reason why taking the electrolyte helps me. I need to start taking it again.

Sorry if someone else mentioned this product already here. It's an older thread and I didn't want to go back and read through them all right now.